Packaging & Dispensers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packaging & Dispensers

Here's the thread to share praises and peeves regarding product packaging, containers and dispensers. How fun! ? !

Thumbs Up: Recently I bought a roll of plastic food wrap from Costco, which included this absolutely NOVEL! cutting mechanism. Total "duh, why didn't they offer that before", and far superior to the old school saw-tooth metal strip edge.

Here's how the EasyCutter works...

Pomai's "model" hand. lol

Two metal blades on each edge follow a channeled track that the plastic wrap clings to, which cuts it clean, making the cut plastic sheet available as a whole sheet, instead of pulling back on that saw-toothed metal strip edge and sticking to itself, becoming a useless pieces of plastic bundled mess. Brilliant!

Thumbs down: Remember the Sugar Daddy caramel candy pop and that stupid wax paper liner that used to get stuck to it, making it so difficult to eat it? What's up with that?

Another peeve are those blister packs made of vacuum formed, heavy-gauged clear plastic and thermobonded together to merchandise micro electronics such as iPod knock offs, flash drives and memory cards. You need a gosh-darned chainsaw to get the product out of that thing! I almost cut my hand numerous times, sometimes while attempting to cut it open with a utility knife. $#^$%@! Frggghhskkrrrrfrrkskkfgrr.

Back on the plus side, there's PEZ and Jiffy Pop!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Packaging & Dispensers

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Another peeve are those blister packs made of vacuum formed, heavy-gauged clear plastic and thermobonded together to merchandise micro electronics such as iPod knock offs, flash drives and memory cards. You need a gosh-darned chainsaw to get the product out of that thing! I almost cut my hand numerous times, sometimes while attempting to cut it open with a utility knife. $#^$%@! Frggghhskkrrrrfrrkskkfgrr.

Back on the plus side, there's PEZ and Jiffy Pop!

Man, I couldn't agree more with the blister packs gripe..those things are a HUGE pain in the butt, and I've almost stabbed myself many tmes trying to wrestle stuff out of them...not to mention the cuts you get from the sharp as a knife edges on the plastic....With petroleum being at a premium, you'd think they would come up with something better than this...

What happened to a good ole BOX ? Put a little cellophane window in front and you still get to see the product inside, and it may spare a few digits from getting lopped off
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Sucks: Anything that comes in a hard to open BLISTER PACK!

You can get injured just trying to cut the damn things open. A whole range of products come in this crap.... hard drives, small tools, small electronics, etc.

Also why after you remove the shrink wrap from DVDs and CDs, you have another onerous step of having to deal with that sticky tape strip that runs along the edges of the CD or DVD case. Hate those too.

I like good old fashioned easy to open cardboard boxes.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

[...]Thumbs Up: Recently I bought a roll of plastic food wrap from Costco, which included this absolutely NOVEL! cutting mechanism. Total "duh, why didn't they offer that before", and far superior to the old school saw-tooth metal strip edge.
        The Tilia FoodSaver rolls (make your own bags) uses this type of cutter. Works great!
        [...]Another peeve are those blister packs made of vacuum formed, heavy-gauged clear plastic and thermobonded together to merchandise micro electronics such as iPod knock offs, flash drives and memory cards. You need a gosh-darned chainsaw to get the product out of that thing! I almost cut my hand numerous times, sometimes while attempting to cut it open with a utility knife. $#^$%@! Frggghhskkrrrrfrrkskkfgrr.[...]
        Oh man, don't even get me started! If the blister pack is flat enough (eg: a small flash drive) I can cut one edge with a paper cutter. However, I just bought a 2 pack of those hand crank flashlight/radios from Costco and the package is too big for the paper cutter. I'm now hoping it's a hurricane-free season!

Comment

I do like those blister packs that have the push-in round tabs (instead of being thermobonded), which make them easy to reseal for a return.

Japanese are masters at details in packaging. Case in point is Tamiya model company. Open a Tamiya model box, and you almost don't want to build it, but just leave it as is and savor how well all the differently-colored plastic trees and other parts of various materials such as rubber tires, tubing, wire and laser-etched aluminum are properly organized and labeled (including line art depictions) in individual compartments, ties and sealed plastic wrappers. A work of art in itself.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Those blister packs are designed to make shoplifting that much harder but unfortunately, it works so well even with the customer who bought it.

My solution is heavy work gloves and heavy duty scissors.

Comment

If you've got a steady hand, the utility knife is the best way to go. If you don't have a steady hand, then it might be a good idea to get one of those steel mesh gloves to protect your non-knife-wielding hand. They're also great for the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                If you've got a steady hand, the utility knife is the best way to go. If you don't have a steady hand, then it might be a good idea to get one of those steel mesh gloves to protect your non-knife-wielding hand. They're also great for the kitchen.
                If I'm going that far, might as well make it even easier by running it on a table saw. lol

It'd be nice if the major snack chip manufacturers would put ZipLoc tops on the bags. Only thing, I can just see it now - you go tutu's house and she has a cupboard full of old, saved Ruffles and Doritos ZipLoc bags that she reuses to store leftovers and junks. lol

That's what I dig about Pringles. They stay fresh and intact, stacked in those lidded cans.

My girlfriend bought me a Seal-A-Meal system for Christmas that I still haven't used yet. Next time I make smoked meat I'll bust it out.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My girlfriend bought me a Seal-A-Meal system for Christmas that I still haven't used yet. Next time I make smoked meat I'll bust it out.
                  Yea...with the label..."Pomai's Smoked Pork...for send to Tikiyaki on mainland"

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    Yea...with the label..."Pomai's Smoked Pork...for send to Tikiyaki on mainland"
                    You got it my brother. Care package will also include a bag of Poi which you BETTER eat!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Well blister packaging does serve a purpose...reduce theft.

Working at Home Depot a co-worker and I saw a trail of blood on the cement floor. We followed it from Hardware to Millworks and the trail ended with a badly ripped open blister packed box cutter (cutter still intact) and a pool of blood. A set of blood stained footprints leading to the bathroom and then out the door led us to believe the attempt to steal a box cutter from it's packaging failed with some poor fellow bleeding to death somewhere in our parking lot.

Oh well and the blood was cleaned up, the damaged box cutter disposed of and a search of the parking lot revealed another pool near an empty parking stall.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig's right -- it's all about theft prevention. Make the package bulky so you can't conceal it under your shirt, and make it hard to open so you can't quickly open it in the store when no one's looking.

I hate it that thieves steal stuff and make stores so paranoid that they feel they need to treat all their customers like criminals.

And, I would also say, the same thing goes for terrorists and the federal government as well. But that's an entirely different thread.

Comment

You got it my brother. Care package will also include a bag of Poi which you BETTER eat!
                          Yea !....So,How does it work, As a side dish ? put the poi on top ? dip it in the poi ?

Lookin forward to it

Comment

Japanese are masters at details in packaging. Case in point is Tamiya model company. Open a Tamiya model box, and you almost don't want to build it, but just leave it as is and savor how well all the differently-colored plastic trees and other parts of various materials such as rubber tires, tubing, wire and laser-etched aluminum are properly organized and labeled (including line art depictions) in individual compartments, ties and sealed plastic wrappers. A work of art in itself.
                            Eduard, the Czech model company, is even better. Their sprue trees are designed to click together and stack, so the parts don't rub, and everything is in resealable plastic sleeves. Their etched-metal bits and laser-cut masks are bagged separately and stapled to a cardboard insert. This is what happens when the company owners are builders themselves.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                            X