• Show
Clear All

• What is the meaning of "haka?"

Iorana!

Is "haka" the Polynesian way of saying the Hawaiian phrase "hana hou?"

Maruru! (Is that right?)
    'Alika

Re: What is the meaning of "haka?"

You've got to be more specific. "Polynesian" is about as precise as "European". Where exactly did you hear this?

In Maori, a haka is a war dance.

And I think you meant "Ia orana", not "Iorana". That's Tahitian.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      You've got to be more specific. "Polynesian" is about as precise as "European". Where exactly did you hear this?

In Maori, a haka is a war dance.

And I think you meant "Ia orana", not "Iorana". That's Tahitian.
      Yes I did. E kala mai. Wrong language, I know. I hardly know any of the languages of the Polynesian islands except 'olelo Hawai'i.
      About haka, I saw this word in some reviews of Te Vaka concerts. The audience said it when they left the stage. That's why I was wondering if it was a "hana hou" type word.
      'Alika

Comment

About haka, I saw this word in some reviews of Te Vaka concerts. The audience said it when they left the stage. That's why I was wondering if it was a "hana hou" type word.
        They were most likely yelling the band's name, not "haka".
        http://www.tevaka.com/tevaka_the_band.html and you can see their different ethnic origins.

pax

Comment

I already have. Have you looked at the reviews at all?
          Oh, btw, I love their song "Pate Pate." I can totally see DJ's from all of the South Pacific Islands playing that song at school dances and the students going nuts!
          'Alika

Comment

Kiddo, I've seen them perform twice. They rocked the whare. When you get older, I will tell you what feelings they incited in the audience, males and females alike. Until then, it's too ribald for you.

Now go to bed.

pax

Comment

Working...
            X