Polynesians in America before Columbus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polynesians in America before Columbus

Archaeologists report the discovery of 14th-century chicken bones in Chile (link: New Scientist). The hypothesis is that Polynesian explorers from Rapa Nui made landfall in South America, ate lunch, looked around, and then decided to go home.

Re: Polynesians in America before Columbus

Earliest evidence of malihini, perhaps?

Just as long as they didn't tell any indigenous Chileans, "well, this is how we do it back in Rapa Nui..."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Earliest evidence of malihini, perhaps?
      Just as long as they didn't tell any indigenous Chileans, "well, this is how we do it back in Rapa Nui..."
      Oh, that's an easy easy nomination for Funniest Post Of The Week! Well done!

(Although I think I might've sprained something when I fell out of my chair laughing.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

AF's thought: Earliest evidence of plate lunch.

Comment

Hana's chicken plate!!! Remember that place on Sheridan street before they moved to Pearl city?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yeah, maybe, but... no styrofoam containers!?

Comment

Okay, now Associated Press has picked up the story, as seen in this Breaking News item on the Advertiser's website.
              And no surprise -- it starts out with "Why did the Polynesian chicken cross the ocean?"

Comment

Rapa Nui is believed to have been settled between 300 and 1200 CE. I know that's a wide range of time,
                but it's definitely earlier than those chicken bones.

So, sounds logical to me, that Polynesians made it just that much further East in order to reach the Americas.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I have always been impressed with Polynesian voyaging knowledge. Their mastery of astronomy for navigation was cutting edge for their time.

It's a shame that cutting edge astronomy is no longer revered by the culture.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    You're saying the work of the Polynesian Voyaging Society is for naught?

Comment

I suspect Tim is talking about Native Hawaiians versus the astronomy researchers on Mauna Kea.

Comment

Ah. Thanks, Glen.

Comment

The cutting edge of astronomy was navigation by the stars 2500 years ago when Polynesians and Hawaiians were leading the world. Today, the cutting edge in the industry can be found on top of Mauna Kea. And many folks, who grew up on Big Island, have worked up there.

The cutting edge of any science is always moving outward as knowledge increases. And that is wonderful.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            I have always been impressed with Polynesian voyaging knowledge. Their mastery of astronomy for navigation was cutting edge for their time.

Who is served by those huge telescopes on Mauna Kea Tim? Who built them and for what purpose? Does mankind need these telescopes to explore strange new worlds? Do we need them in order to seek out new life and new civilizations? Are they necessary to allow mankind to boldly go where no one has gone before?

Don't pin your argument on culture Tim, my ancestors didn't need mega telescopes to sustain themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                              Does mankind need these telescopes to explore strange new worlds? Do we need them in order to seek out new life and new civilizations? Are they necessary to allow mankind to boldly go where no one has gone before?
                              I would like to respond to this query.

Mankind does seem to have a kind of "need" for exploring. Our own world and as far as we can see. That second part is where places like the telescopes atop Mauna Kea come in. It's not a need like food, water or sleep, but we just might discover something out there that'll save mankind. Though probably not. HaHa!

This "need" to explore is what got all of Polynesia populated.

Do you agree?
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X