Food Name annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Name annoyances

Don't you love to hate food names that are confusing... Like Gyro? You can never win!! You go to one place and ask for a Gyro (jeer-oh, zheer-oh; Gk. yee-raw) and they look at you like you have 3 heads. Vice versa with the "jahy-roh" pronounciation.

Course... I'm sure tourists botch common hawaiian food names hourly

What are some of your food name pet peves?
    -kp!

Re: Food Name annoyances

"Plate" lunch.

I've yet to find a plate that tastes anywhere near as good as the food piled on top of it.

(Well, if you're gonna ask that kind of question...)

Comment

haha! true that!
      -kp!

Comment

'Chicken Fried Steak'.

I was an adult when I finally ordered it (can't remember where). I was served chicken breast, battered and deep fried, with gravy. For the longest time, I thought that was the way it was supposed to be!

Comment

More a slight confusion than annoyance....

On the back label of POWERADE Sports Drinks, in bigger bold letters it clearly states NO FRUIT JUICES, followed by a list of ingredients fit more for a chemistry lab. Then below that in smaller bold letters it states NATURAL FLAVORS. Whuh?

I suppose that means the chemical additives such as citric acid make that orange flavor I drank only TASTE NATURAL, but not naturally-derived from real fruit juice.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My father went to the Bali counter at the Ala Moana Sears. He wanted to order their chicken pho but was curious about how "pho" should be pronounced. He asked the woman behind the counter if it was "pha", "phu", "pho" or what was it? She replied "chicken soup".

Comment

Toss Salad.

Is "Toss" a verb? An adjective?

[please no gross connotations, thx]
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I think it's both. I was going to make a joke out of your "no gross connotations" comment but there actually are gross connotations, as I found out with a quick google about tossed salads. and the connotation is not (just) what I might have thought it was. huh. I guess it's good to learn something new every day but I probably could have done without knowing the non-vegetable connotations.
                Last edited by Adri; June 5, 2007, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                  I think it is the same as "tossed" salad (that is, salad tossed or coated with dressing before being served as opposed to mac salad or pickled vegetables). I was going to make a joke out of your "no gross connotations" comment but there actually are gross connotations, as I found out with a quick google to check to see if I was right about the "tossed". and the connotation is not (just) what I might have thought it was. huh. I guess it's good to learn something new every day but I probably could have done without knowing the non-vegetable connotations.
                  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we have Mr. Chris Rock to thank.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

LOL! I didn't know where the connotations came from. Sorry, I just edited my post before your post posted to try to make my post sound less rambly. That's what I get for posting while on the telephone for work (at least I didn't get confused and say aloud anything I was reading about those connotations while I was still on the phone).

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                      My father went to the Bali counter at the Ala Moana Sears. He wanted to order their chicken pho but was curious about how "pho" should be pronounced. He asked the woman behind the counter if it was "pha", "phu", "pho" or what was it? She replied "chicken soup".
                      Imagine what the workers must hear over at PHUKET THAI in McCully Shopping Center.

There's a restaurant named PHO MAI on S. King Street. Always makes me chuckle whenever driving by.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                        'Chicken Fried Steak'. ...
                        Last night on Hell's Kitchen, one of the contestants made "Chicken Fried Chicken." Hah? Chicken that's fried like chicken is just chicken, stupidhead!

Also, can the Korean restaurants please get together and agree on how to spell their foods? I've seen bi bim bap spelled the following ways:
                        * Bi Bim Bap
                        * Bi Beem Bap
                        * Pi Pim Pap
                        * Bibimbap
                        * Bip Bop Bam Alakazam
                        * Bang Bang Boogie
                        * Mmm Bop

I'm sure there are more that I've missed.

Comment

LOL being a native Texan I can appreciate the plays on "chicken fried steak" which in the south is steak that's tenderized till it looks beat to death, and then fried with a thick crust till it's, I suppose fried like chicken is fried. The thick, breaded crust on that thing actually is the best part. I ain't that into steak, but I guess I better not tell the folks back home.

I'm eating salmon and tuna five and six days a week, and it ain't fried.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                            Imagine what the workers must hear over at PHUKET THAI in McCully Shopping Center.
                            Or the FOOK YUEN restaurant on Kapiolani...
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              Or the FOOK YUEN restaurant on Kapiolani...
                              Some non local restaurant names that crack me up, Pho King and What the Pho?

Comment

Working...
                              X