Sicko ~ Mr. Moore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sicko ~ Mr. Moore...

I didn't want to post this in the film catagory because it is more than just a film.

Saw a pre-screening of Michael Moore's Sicko last night. I know Moore can be kind of abrasive to some people but he does influence many new films like Supersize Me and more. The web site below tells the story about what happened when his group came to SF. I work at SF Moscone Center and we were told to call a hot line if we saw him or his crew on site. I was hoping to see him so I could shake his hand and say Kudos to you brother for putting people first. In my opinion Moore is a folk hero and this film will cross all political party lines ~ not just the liberals that love most of his films. Costa Rica is before us in medical care for the people ~ no disrespect to Costa Rica but give me a break we are a wealthy country and people are dieing for lack of preventive medical care and medical care in general...

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/rec..._id=1001138393

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386032/ Web site for Sicko
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Sicko ~ Mr. Moore...

I'm planning to see the new Moore film, too. I consider myself nearly a fan. I;m curious, though, about why you think Moore influenced Morgan Spurlock, the Super-Size Me guy. Except for the fact that both do documentaries, I don't see any similarities in their film-making style, in their choice of subject matter, or in their on-screen personae. True, they each include themselves in their films, which most documentarians do not, but Spurlock's film was about Spurlock, while none of Moore's films is about Moore.

ps: How was the movie?
    Last edited by scrivener; June 7, 2007, 08:12 AM. Reason: "...if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I'm planning to see the new Moore film, too. I consider myself nearly a fan. I;m curious, though, about why you think Moore influenced Morgan Spurlock, the Super-Size Me guy. Except for the fact that both do documentaries, I don't see any similarities in their film-making style, in their choice of subject matter, or in their on-screen personae. True, they each include themselves in their films, which most documentarians do not, but Spurlock's film was about Spurlock, while none of Moore's films is about Moore.

ps: How was the movie?
      I see your point Scrivener. I guess I was thinking of the "exposing the truth type of genre" granted it is a long shot. The guy that did "Supersize Me" was on a talk show and the person that interviewed him made the comment that his film was likened to a MM's film. The film was done very well especially the part where he goes to Cuba to get medical attention for the 9-11 volunteers. BTW the US government is holding him responsible for his trip and trying to impose hefty fines on him for breaking embargo.

If you know any Dr.s you know how many perks they get from the pharmaceutical companies. Not to mention the lobby power they have in Washington. Just curious what do you think of MM?

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

I loved "Roger & Me" and was very disappointed when it was revealed that he did in fact interview Roger Smith but chose to pretend that he never did. As you'll recall, the premise of the movie was that he couldn't get a meeting with Roger Smith. The footage of the interview was dug up by two Canadian documentarians who admire Moore and made a documentary about him. Interview with makers of "Manufacturing Dissent". I don't consider what he does anymore to be true documentary work, he has strayed into what, while it may be interesting and entertaining, is basically propaganda. That said, I'll no doubt go see "Sicko" and probably find it good.

Comment

I did not like his first documentary Roger & Me. Being a Capitalist, I felt his view was slanted and felt Moore was just ignorant and offered no real solution towards the unemployment in Flint Michigan. No company is going to stay in business just so people can have jobs. Currently, today GM is having a hard time competeing with Japanese automakers bcs, they are obligated to pay them X amount of pension and healthcare benefits in which the Japanese don't.

I did however like Bowling For Columbine. There's is something wrong in America with our rate of violent crimes. We should retain the right to bear arms, but is the NRA about protecting this right or helping gun manufactures make profits and the expense of American lives?

Also liked Farenheit 9/11 too. There's no doubt in my mind, that Saudi oil money has influenced politicians like the Bush family and America's global and domestic policies. Al Gore was robbed and too many Americans were stupid enough to make it so close of an election and really stupid to re-elect Bush for a second term.

I look forward to seeing Sicko. How timely with the democratic presidential canidates talking about universal healthcare. Definitely an important topic in America.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
            I loved "Roger & Me" and was very disappointed when it was revealed that he did in fact interview Roger Smith but chose to pretend that he never did. As you'll recall, the premise of the movie was that he couldn't get a meeting with Roger Smith. The footage of the interview was dug up by two Canadian documentarians who admire Moore and made a documentary about him. Interview with makers of "Manufacturing Dissent". I don't consider what he does anymore to be true documentary work, he has strayed into what, while it may be interesting and entertaining, is basically propaganda. That said, I'll no doubt go see "Sicko" and probably find it good.
            Love the title “Manufacturing Decent” like the Chomsky film. Thanks for the info. I will put MD on my Flex Queue. I haven’t done too much research on Moore other than the fact that I see all of his films. But I can appreciate how he definitely slants to get his view across. I usually agree with what he is saying but I never take any documentary/ethnographic film as complete truth because there is always someone behind the camera and depending on where you point the camera you can tell many different stories.

Comment

Since there are so many folks here who work in media, I just have to put this out there......

If all press is good press, why did Moore make a movie about Bush?
              Why did Moore show up on Leno, the next year after the election, with an Armani suit, bragging about his tax cuts, courtesy of Bush?

Michael Moore has used propaganda to profit from the most ignorant among us. Rampant desire to BELIEVE is all that is needed. $8 per person is a pretty good haul.

I will be the first to admit that Moore is a capitalist genius who uses some basic psychology principles to milk millions from BELIEVERS. Some would say that preying on the weak of mind is sinister. I think it's brilliant.

Moore might be less than you think.

PS - betcha this post riles up some of you apologists and propagandists.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                I guess I was thinking of the "exposing the truth type of genre" granted it is a long shot. The guy that did "Supersize Me" was on a talk show and the person that interviewed him made the comment that his film was likened to a MM's film.
                Moore's success as a filmmaker means that other documentarians will often be compared to him, especially if they work on what they consider "expose" issues. I like Moore's films, but since he's no longer struggling to be discovered, the "truth" factors are more often being nudged aside by "entertainment" ones. (And keep in mind that I say that from a political perspective similar to his.)

He's moved into the realm where the topic is of less value to the film's success than the words "A Film By Michael Moore." Good for him and his pocketbook, since he shares his money with causes I respect. But he's a savvy businessman, too, and that affects his status as a shit-disturber.

There's a fine line between Prophet and Profit.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  Since there are so many folks here who work in media, I just have to put this out there......

If all press is good press, why did Moore make a movie about Bush?
                  Why did Moore show up on Leno, the next year after the election, with an Armani suit, bragging about his tax cuts, courtesy of Bush?
                  Shame Shame Tim you have taken this statement totally out of context and I'm sure you didn’t mean to do that. What Moore was saying is that he gets tax cuts according to the tax laws that he really doesn't need and yes he is wealthy. The point he was trying to make is people on the lower income scale with no deductions pay the most taxes and people that are wealthy get off paying less. The wealthiest people in this country pay the least taxes compared to the average working Joe. If you're interested in our tax system see the film From Freedom to
                  Fascism. You can find it on Flex ~ five star doc. you will be really pissed about paying taxes after watching this one.

Actually Moors films do not really appeal to the most ignorant among us, they appeal to people that think about what's really going on in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Moore's success as a filmmaker means that other documentarians will often be compared to him, especially if they work on what they consider "expose" issues. I like Moore's films, but since he's no longer struggling to be discovered, the "truth" factors are more often being nudged aside by "entertainment" ones. (And keep in mind that I say that from a political perspective similar to his.)

He's moved into the realm where the topic is of less value to the film's success than the words "A Film By Michael Moore." Good for him and his pocketbook, since he shares his money with causes I respect. But he's a savvy businessman, too, and that affects his status as a shit-disturber.

There's a fine line between Prophet and Profit.
                    Nothing wrong with being a "savvy businessman"

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                      Nothing wrong with being a "savvy businessman"
                      Certainly not. Again, I congratulate him on his success, particularly in an artistic field that does not generally make one wealthy. But it taints his reputation as a "man of the common people." He may have been once, but is no longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Certainly not. Again, I congratulate him on his success, particularly in an artistic field that does not generally make one wealthy. But it taints his reputation as a "man of the common people." He may have been once, but is no longer.
                        Interesting I never really thought about it but can one be a "man of the people" and not be poor? It brings to mind people like Castro and Che who were both from affluent families. Not challenging your statement just food for thought. Does one negate the other?

Comment

Negate - no. But affect, yes. When you have wealth that most people do not enjoy, you will likely lose touch with many of your earlier influences. (I'm sure there are exceptions, and more recent ones than Castro & Che.)

Castro did not have access to his father's wealth as he was growing up - he was considered illegitimate until age 17, when his father finally formally "recognized" his son. In addition, he lost touch with the soul of his revolutionary ideals long, long ago.

Guevara's family lived comfortably during his youth (thanks to his mother's fortune), but his father spent most of their money on failed business ventures, so although he had aristocratic roots, he was not a wealthy man.

Comment

There is poetic irony in Greentara's post when she speaks of Moor's. That would be a word used to describe folks from the Middle East who plundered lower Europe in the 1100-1350's. (or some time back then)

All press is good press. Bush won the election by a nose. And I just can't help but wonder if there had never been a movie about him, would he have done so well.

To paint Moore as less than honorable does not sit well with those who hate Bush. Politics, and emotion based belief systems, make for strange bedfellows. Moore is a hero to many folks who think that law & order is an overrated, and antiquated, concept on our planet.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              To paint Moore as less than honorable does not sit well with those who hate Bush.
                              Again with the generalities. I guess you must have put me on "ignore," since you do not appear to be reading the content of my posts (which would explain why, so often, you fail to answer questions I pose to you.)

Comment

Working...
                              X