Bathtub refinishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub refinishing

I need to have my tub refinished...rather than replaced! Can any HTers recommend a good refinishing company?

TIA...

Re: Bathtub refinishing

a company that cleans air ducts scratched our bathroom sink and so they paid skyline to come and fix it. the guy who came over was polite and did a good job. i can't say anything about any of the other workers but the guy who dropped by here was good. you might call them to get a start in your search... (478-4503)
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Can't really recommend someone, but we had our's done twice. The first time, the glazing came off at the bottom of the tub. The second glazing eventually settled into these "potholes" and the tub now looks like it did before the 2nd glazing. The process is dirty. The bathroom needs to be totally sealed and vented. The tub is then sanded, then a glaze is sprayed on and needs to cure for a couple days. If the tub was prepped properly, it'll look good for a long time, but it is high maintainence. You need to squeegee excess water off after each bath and be very careful of dropping anything metallic or pumice stones onto the finish. Any scratch will shorten it's lifespan. Also no abrasives or abrasive sponges should be used for cleaning.

Because our tub looked like crap before it's time, I can't recommend the guy that did our's (I also forgot who it was ), but just make sure that whoever does your's is licensed and is reputable.

Considering how much it costs to reglaze a tub, we could have gotten a new tub for all the money we spent on getting it done twice.

Comment

Thanks, Shaveice. YIKES, DRE!!!

Comment

We're thinking about refinishing our tubs too. I've seen it done on hotel tubs. It's at least a two-day process. The guys acid etched it overnight then sprayed it with a two-part coating the next day. Like RollingEye said its all in the prep.

Expect to pay at least $300 for a standard size tub.

I'll be calling around too... maybe we can compare notes.

Comment

Cezanne...I found this local company but have no idea about their reputation. After perusing the site (and turning the music off!!!) I gather that they charge more for a better product but...is it justified?!!!

Comment

tutusue & cezanne, i'd suggest you check out the better business bureau for bathtub & sink repair companies.

tutusue, note that the company whose link you provided claims to be a BBB member but according to the BBB, it is not.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Thanks, ericncyn...very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                  a company that cleans air ducts scratched our bathroom sink and so they paid skyline to come and fix it. the guy who came over was polite and did a good job. i can't say anything about any of the other workers but the guy who dropped by here was good. you might call them to get a start in your search... (478-4503)
                  opps. caught my mistake. the name of the company is Perma-Glaze Hawaii and Rebath Hawaii: http://www.rateitall.com/i-654014-.aspx
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                    Considering how much it costs to reglaze a tub, we could have gotten a new tub for all the money we spent on getting it done twice.
                    Sometimes it's not an option. Given the way my place is laid out, the only way I can see that the tub can be replaced is if I bust out a wall. There's simply no way it can come in though the door.

Now, if I was willing to replace it with a shower .....

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Sometimes it's not an option. Given the way my place is laid out, the only way I can see that the tub can be replaced is if I bust out a wall. There's simply no way it can come in though the door.

Now, if I was willing to replace it with a shower .....
                      Same here, but what I've seen contractors do is come in and cut the tub into more manageable pieces, usually in half. Easier to remove and transport through the existing doorway. We've been thinking about doing the same with our bathroom. We also have space for a second full bath and would love to put in a furo.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                        Same here, but what I've seen contractors do is come in and cut the tub into more manageable pieces, usually in half.
                        Oh, there's ways of getting it out. It's getting a replacement IN that's the issue. I don't know how you'd cut it in half and have a usable tub afterwords.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Oh, there's ways of getting it out. It's getting a replacement IN that's the issue. I don't know how you'd cut it in half and have a usable tub afterwords.
                          first: in my case, what the guy did was amazing. he walked into the bathroom with a sledge hammer, closed the door and pulverized that old tub into a thousand pieces. it was a good tub but we wanted a deeper one to soak in.

second: yup, getting the new one in was impossible so they actually had to cut a piece of the side of the doorway!

Comment

OK, here's the original thread. I'll check some of these places out.
                            You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                              OK, here's the original thread. I'll check some of these places out.
                              I replied in the other thread, Fritz!

Comment

Working...
                              X