Climbing Mauna Loa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing Mauna Loa

Up I go. Next week. For my 40th. From Volcano Side. 4 days roundtrip. Solo.

Anybody ever done it? Summit Mauna Loa? Know anybody who did it?

I'm so prepped. In Shape. Good Pack. Decent Boots. Smoke Fish. And a snort of whiskey.

My birthday party will be at the summit. On the evening of the 18th.

I expect to be alone.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Climbing Mauna Loa

I haven't been up Mauna Loa, but many years ago when I was a teenager I walked to the top of Mauna Kea. Not all the way from sea level - we started at the ranger station (about 10,000 feet I think?) and followed the access road up to the top at 13,000 feet. It was February or March, and I remember the bitter cold and the gale-force wind. The wind blew so strong and steady, there were icicles on the road signs that hung sideways!

For my 40th birthday last year, I hiked the Mānana Ridge Trail here on Oʻahu -- it only took 10 hours, not 4 days, but I was pretty happy about it.

Sounds like you're giving yourself a great birthday present. Congratulations in advance, and happy birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      [...]My birthday party will be at the summit. On the evening of the 18th.

I expect to be alone.
      Happy early birthday, Tim! Who knows, there may be a cute little old lady on the summit seated at a roadside stand selling granola snacks (or whatever that product is)!

Comment

I hiked up Diamond Head once. I got a certificate

Comment

Sounds like a great way to celebrate. Good on ya, Tim.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Tim, please call HVNP and let them know your plans, especially the solo bit, because they are the ones that will have to rescue you should you need it. 985-6000

pax

Comment

Thanks Pua'i. I will be signing in at the Volcano Ranger Station on Saturday Morning per plans, specs, rules, law, order, and my wife. I am aware of the potential problems, and have planned for everything as good as can. Plus, I'm bringing my lucky poker chip, so nothing can go wrong.

I just got back from Mauna Kea State Park for the weekend. Climbed to the top of the Pu'u right behind the cabins, with a 55 lb pack. No sweat. Not even sore this morning a little. Then drove to the Solar Observatory and hiked all over the place at 11,000'. No sweat. I'm ready for this.

I will be collecting as much rain water as I can carry for my daughter's Kumu. I am also bringing a snort of gin to pour into Mokuaweoweo.

This will be epic.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Here's a link of Hiking Mauna Loa:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~turner/maunaloa/mloa.html

Comment

Early Birthday Greetings to You as well Tim!

God bless you and send his mightiest of Angels to protect you from harm.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sounds awesome! I wish you a Great time and all the Bestest!
                    Would love to see some photos. When are you starting? The 16th?
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's a link to photos from our last semi-epic hike. 7 hours up to, along the summit and back down the back of Niu Valley. 5/28/07

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/galle...a-65194998f071

Click on the photos to get a larger version and read the corresponding log.

Gotta love Hawai'i!
                      Last edited by Menehune Man; June 13, 2007, 09:22 PM.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

OH GAAWWWDDD !!!! That was so hard.

Feet look like hamburger. Lost about 18 lbs. Can't walk today. Calves, and gluteus, are murdered. 40 miles in 4 days. Never again.

I will post the whole story soon. But I just want to let everybody know that I'm alive. I made it to the summit cabin, but not the actual summit.

The beauty at the top is surreal color, like the inside of a geode, as viewed through a kaleidoscope. Mokuaweoweo is gigantic. Bigger than that. I cannot describe it. About 7 miles long, and 2-3 miles wide. Biggest hole I ever saw.

I heard there was 300 quakes, and Puu Oo stopped erupting, and a new vent started.

When 2 gods are having an argument, mortals measure it with seismometers.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I wonder how far the Mauna Loa observatory is from the actual summit. Me and my brother drove up there in a Dodge Neon once, It was way cool, although it wrecked his car.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            I heard there was 300 quakes, and Puu Oo stopped erupting, and a new vent started.
                            I'm so happy to hear you're back and safely so. I can't wait for your story.

Welcome back TimKona!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Happy birthday and congratulations! It sounds like it was a wonderful trip. Did you get any photos?

Now soak your feet and get some rest!
                              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
                              X