Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP, Mr. Wizard

Source

LOS ANGELES - Don Herbert, who as television's "Mr. Wizard" introduced generations of young viewers to the joys of science, died Tuesday. He was 89. Herbert, who had bone cancer, died at his suburban Bell Canyon home, said his son-in-law, Tom Nikosey.

"He really taught kids how to use the thinking skills of a scientist," said former colleague Steve Jacobs. He worked with Herbert on a 1980s show that echoed the original 1950s "Watch Mr. Wizard" series, which became a fond baby boomer memory.

In "Watch Mr. Wizard," which was produced from 1951 to 1964 and received a Peabody Award in 1954, Herbert turned TV into an entertaining classroom. On a simple, workshop-like set, he demonstrated experiments using household items.

"He modeled how to predict and measure and analyze. ... The show today might seem slow but it was in-depth and forced you to think along," Jacobs said. "You were learning about the forces of nature."

Herbert encouraged children to duplicate experiments at home, said Jacobs, who recounted serving as a behind-the-scenes "science sidekick" to Herbert on the '80s "Mr. Wizard's World" that aired on the Nickelodeon channel.
    Everytime someone I adored as a child dies, I get a little sad inside.

RIP, Mr. Wizard. You made science fun.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: RIP, Mr. Wizard

Awww very sad.... His show taught me how to make my own rainbow.

Comment

I remember watching him on Nickelodeon in the 80's with my kid brother but I was already out of college and I still thought it was a cool show.

RIP Mr. Wizard

Comment

I loved that show when I was younger! Leaned a lot more on that show then I did in science class.

Comment

I watched the show in the '50s and loved it altho' science never held much interest for me. Mr. Wizard made it interesting. My high school chemistry teacher turned me off to anything science related. I woulda fared much better with Don Herbert as a teacher! RIP Mr. Wizard and thanks for the memories!

Comment

Working...
          X