Small College Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small College Sports

Discuss sports at BYU-Hawaii, Chaminade, Hawaii Pacific University, and University of Hawaii at Hilo.

Re: Small College Sports

Of those schools, the only one that I see who gets regular TV coverage is HPU. Seen some of their volleyball and basketball games on OCI 16. They also get play by play radio coverage on KUMU and I think BYU-Hawaii gets some live radio on KWAI. Never heard or saw any Chaminade game on TV or radio unless they play with HPU and BYU-H.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Small College Sports: UH-Hilo

UH-Hilo is almost totally off the statewide radar. There used to be TV coverage (shown only on the Big Island) of home basketball games, because a local video company filmed it. That hasn't happened for years. Vulcan sports still get radio coverage.

Unless UHH competes in away games against UH-Manoa, BYUH, Chaminade, or HPU, there is no Oahu-based TV coverage. We need to film not only the basketball (UH-Hilo's biggest sport), but baseball, tennis, and other sports.

UH-Hilo does show up in the TV news occasionally. I believe KGMB had a spot on a Vulcan baseball player who had had cancer. And the Honolulu dailies do a fair job of reporting on the Vulcans.

Comment

Re: Small College Sports: UH-Hilo

It is quite a shame that UHH, BYUH and Chaminade do not get more TV and radio coverage. I think the 2 Honolulu dailies have done an adequate job of covering those schools especially since some of them regularly make it to post season tournaments and actually win titles. There should at least be some kind of effort to bring some of the championship volleyball and basketball games to Hawaii audiences if any of the small college teams make it to the finals. I am sure there is some kind of audience for this.

That said, perhaps the small colleges may not want to overextend live TV coverage of their games due to possible cost considerations and perhaps an impact to whatever they collect at the gates for these games. But then again the few times I've seen games on TV, there is not too many fans in the stands.

Long ago when Hilo had several winning basketball teams, they used to pack the Afook Chinen auditorium. I don't know what it's like now. I do also vaguely recall seeing some Vulcan sports on cable when I visited my folks on the Big Island.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
        X