Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are some of our food fish called by Hawaiian names, and others by Japanese names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are some of our food fish called by Hawaiian names, and others by Japanese names?

I was just perusing some fish at a local supermarket, and I never bothered to ask myself why a Hawaiian name takes precedence for some fish, and Japanese for others. Like: ahi, aku, papio, etc., and gindai, onaga, saba, etc.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Why are some of our food fish called by Hawaiian names, and others by Japanese names?

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    I was just perusing some fish at a local supermarket, and I never bothered to ask myself why a Hawaiian name takes precedence for some fish, and Japanese for others. Like: ahi, aku, papio, etc., and gindai, onaga, saba, etc.
    Hi Mike

Onaga, Gindai, and Saba are Japanese names for fish and I was told mainly had to do with Japanese fishermen catching those fish more prevalent in the old days. The onaga and gindai are caught in deeper waters about 600 feet so ancient Hawaiian's couldnt reach that depth with their corded lines and it was more in the modern times that these fish were brought up. I am surprised that you saw Onaga and Gindai in the market as they are Kapu or closed season now due to over fishing.

I work with every fish species in my everyday work here in Hilo. Here is a site where you can see some of my recent work
    http://hawaiiangamefish.bizland.com/

Aloha Layne
    Last edited by Hilo Artist; June 16, 2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Why are some of our food fish called by Hawaiian names, and others by Japanese na

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
      Hi Mike

Onaga, Gindai, and Saba are Japanese names for fish.
      I work with every fish species in my everyday work here in Hilo.

Aloah Layne
      Umm...I know, but why are some fish called by Japanese names, and others by Hawaiian names?

flickr

Comment

Re: Why are some of our food fish called by Hawaiian names, and others by Japanese names?

Hi Mike

I added to my first post to answer your question

Thanks Layne

Comment

Mike

I also just remembered that the names is also in place due to the popularity of certain specis by a culture.

For example Menpachi was favored by the Japanese so that name remained in place. Many locals and native Hawaiians still call it U'u

Tako or octopus is another Japanese name but Hawaiians also rival the liking of this cephalopod and call it He'e

So it's safe to say that it is a cultural thing and also which type of fishermen used to specialize in catching a certain species.

I got some of this information from my friends at Hanapaa Hawaii

Comment

Re: Why are some of our food fish called by Hawaiian names, and others by Japanese na

One of my favorite (and rare in the market) fish to eat steamed or grilled is Monchong. One story behind this rather odd name goes like this...

Source
            Leong says his dad told him that monchong is a Chinese name for a stringed instrument similar to a banjo, given to the fish because its rounded shaped resembles the sounding board of instrument. But he's not vouching for this story. "It may be only a rumor. I don't know how true it is," he said, laughing.
            Last edited by Pomai; June 16, 2007, 01:27 PM. Reason: Found an answer
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ahh...thanks for the explanations, Layne.

Mike

flickr

Comment

Monchong used to get tossed back in the old days.

Now fishermen actually target these fish.

Partly it has to do with changing tastes. And some believe economic pressures, and a gradually shrinking fishery, is forcing the choice.
                Last edited by Composite 2992; June 16, 2007, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Umm...I know, but why are some fish called by Japanese names, and others by Hawaiian names?
                  Because their English names are so BORING!
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

When I used to fish in Honolulu I would tell my friends I caught a lot of Oahu. They scratch their heads trying to figure out what kind of fish that was. Then I tell them I live Big Island now and the only fish I catch is Hilo when I'm in East Hawaii...and Kona when I'm in West Hawaii.

Yeah I'm no fisherman but ho boy I can catch a mean island. Watch out Maui, this Japanese superman going pull up Loihi next time
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      When I used to fish in Honolulu I would tell my friends I caught a lot of Oahu. They scratch their heads trying to figure out what kind of fish that was. Then I tell them I live Big Island now and the only fish I catch is Hilo when I'm in East Hawaii...and Kona when I'm in West Hawaii.

Yeah I'm no fisherman but ho boy I can catch a mean island. Watch out Maui, this Japanese superman going pull up Loihi next time
                      LOL!!!Cool post!

hey Craig!

You live on the island of plenty here! You and your sons should follow me to my spots on the Hamakua coast when Moi season opens! Lots of fish on that side and most of the time its not fishing, but catching!

The oama should be making an appearance in Hilo bay soon this summer, that means papio action and safe kine fishing for the family!

My wife asked me what I wanted to do on fathers day? My reply was, go fish with her father at our spot at the front of his house in Hakalau! My personal country escape!

Have a great fathers day weekend to you and the rest of the HT fathers!

Layne

Comment

[quote=Pomai;150268]One of my favorite (and rare in the market) fish to eat steamed or grilled is Monchong. One story behind this rather odd name goes like this...

Source[/quot

Monchong, you may not find this fish on the market as it is considered bottom fish and the season is going to be closed for a couple of months.

Monchong is an average fish in taste , more superior grades of bottom fish would be opakapaka and Onaga. But in my honest opinion, all bottom fish have this very gassy odor when you clean it, almost like doo doo gas. I hate eating them sashimi.

If you really want to eat a superior fish baked in one of those french paper envelops try a Kumu or Moana Kali! These sell for $18 dollars a pound if you ever can find them at the market. As for me, I am lucky I have good friends who give them to me!

Another superior fish we seem to have are Moi! So pleantiful on this side! but kapu season until September.

If you going the tuna route, no can beat blue fin tuna for sashimi. These rare ahi can still be caught outside at the Pepeekeo bouy here in Hilo! I once was givin the stomach part and it is the best part for sashimi ever! My friend told me they sell that to Japan for thousands of dollars! The flesh looked like white veined sashimi and not really clear red, but it was like eating buttered sashimi! ONO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
                          Monchong, you may not find this fish on the market as it is considered bottom fish and the season is going to be closed for a couple of months.

Monchong is an average fish in taste , more superior grades of bottom fish would be opakapaka and Onaga.
                          My friend's family used to own and operate a commercial longliner, and Monchong was one of their (rare) by-catch. So he used to give that away to family and friends, including myself, which is how I discovered it. I must say, Monchong's scales are tough. Knife gotta' be sharp to start your cuts. I'd say the meat's flavor profile is similar to Mahimahi, but way way more oily, making it more moist and succulent.

I did this Monchong dish once by steaming it with chopped Lup Cheong and Chinese "pesto" (the same kine' you put on cold ginger chicken) on top.. brah, da' buggah was broke da' mout! Surely if I used Onaga or Opakapaka instead, it would've tasted even better, but that's what I had.

On rare occasion, I've seen fresh Monchong in Costco. Took me by suprise. Pretty cheap too.. only $9/lb, and the fillets were good size.

At Marukai, I've seen imported frozen whole and fillet Opakapaka and Onaga at pretty reasonable price.

For the most part, if available, I opt for fresh Ono (Wahoo), since market prices for it are reasonable, and I like the flavor.

All this fish talk, now I like eat some! I going store buy some Poke and sit at the beach.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Why are some of our food fish called by Hawaiian names, and others by Japanese names?
                            So some of us can learn both names?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              So some of us can learn both names?
                              funny thing you say that...I know fish by their English names and either Hawaiian or Japanese, but not a mixture of the last two. I just never thought of English as another language

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X