Bagels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagels

Love 'em! Any type (plain, egg, onion, poppy seeds, blueberry, etc.), split in half, with a generous layer of (plain or flavored) cream cheese spread on each side, then 'nuked' to soften the cheese and bagel. One of those rare, perfect marriages of culinary delight.

Today I had this for lunch...

Roast Beef Bagel Sandwich: A house-made toasted Onion Bagel, split and filled with a heaping layer of roast beef, Alfalfa sprouts, Manoa lettuce, tomato, red onion, mustard and mayo', with a dill wedge on the side. $5.25 from Lox of Bagels on Sand Island Access Rd.. Pure quality and AWESOME!

They also offer this incredible Bagel Dog...

Any other bagel fans out there? How do you like yours? Which brand or shop is your favorite?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Bagels

I'm jealous. There used to be a most excellent bagel place here in Kakaako, but no mo'.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I am weary of partaking in Bagels with Poppy Seeds in them

A certain "SEINFELD" episode comes to mind

NOAHS BAGELS I always order their

Onion or Asiago (which I had for breakfast this morning btw) w/ Cream Cheese and Trader Joes Apricots? ahhhhhhh BROKE DA MOUTH fo me that is

Comment

I LOVE bagels, every kind but chocolate chip. They had some specialty bagel only shops in Oregon that made every meal out of one..LOved them!
        I love the cheese bagels and onions and Oregon blackberry bagels.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

That bagel dog certainly looks delicious.

You know, it's funny, I have nothing against bagels, I actually quite enjoy them, but I find that I very rarely eat them. I always liked the blueberry with cream cheese.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
            They had some specialty bagel only shops in Oregon that made every meal out of one
            Indeed. The same shop I mentioned above also serves Pizza Bagels...

Topped with Marinara, Mozzarella Cheese and Pepperoni, $3.25 (thumb's up from today's taste tester).

They also have breakfast bagels topped with butter, eggs, cheese and ham or bacon.

This weekend I'll try topping a heated cream cheese bagel with slices of fresh, chilled Pirie (very sweet) Mango, which we have a bunch of. I bet that's gonna' be ono! Will share photo.

Burl, were you referring to Hawaiian Bagel?
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

You know that is another plus to the bagel shops, they only charge like 3.00 for a full meal! I love that! I think the most expensive toasted sandwich @ Bagel Sphere was 4.50. And it was loaded!
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Freshly baked sourdough bagels are it for me. I eat them as is, without any toasting..the bagel shop where I get mine (Bristol Bagel Shop) makes them so deliciously good, I don't need to add anything to them. Another flavor I enjoy on occasion is fresh blueberry.

Comment

bagels and lox.... smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers, tomatoes and onions... yum
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I love bagels. I think my favorite is the Cinnamon Crunch from Panera Bread with Hazelnut cream cheese.

Unfortunately, I've been on a diet since February and can't have them, so I sure miss them.

The picture of the bagel sandwich looked delicious. It made me want one so bad and it is only 8:30 in the morning here.

Keep posting the pics & I'll enjoy them through the pictures since I can't eat them.

Kathryn

Comment

Bagels rule !

Of course, I will add that you really haven't had a Bagel until you've had a NY Bagel...WindwardOahuRN will attest to that I'm sure....One of the few things I miss about NY, Bagels and Pizza.

I DO have a decent substitute here in Burbank in Western Bagel. Best out this way for sure.

Faves....a poached egg on a bagel with the yolk cooked just right...medium, not too runny. Ono.

Of course, a feshly made bagel with butter melting all over the place. Awesome !

So many great ways to have a bagel...with chicken or egg salad, cream cheese and tomato, any kind of lunch meat...it's endless.

Sesame Seed, Salt, Cinnamon Raisin, whole wheat,poppy, pumpernickel.

WARNING :
                      If you go to a bagel place and they DON'T have a big Boiling vat...walk out.
                      Bagels have to be boiled first, THEN baked. A bagel made without a boiling first is NOT a bagel.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                        Bagels rule !

Of course, I will add that you really haven't had a Bagel until you've had a NY Bagel...WindwardOahuRN will attest to that I'm sure....One of the few things I miss about NY, Bagels and Pizza.
                        Agreed!

I love a good bagel, but I prefer a good Bialy any day of the week.
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

hey all, so whats your favorite bagel shop on the island then? i've been eyeing the one on sand island for awhile.. maybe i'll go today when my hubby gets home!

this ex new yorker is craving her bagel fix! also can you all recommend your favorite "new york deli" here in oahu? i heard Taste of New York has huge portions.. but no Bagels & Lox.. i cant belive it lol desperately seeking a good turkey sandwhich on rye or pumperknickel haha!
                          http://www.turquoizedreams.com
                          Homemade Candles and more!

Comment

Originally posted by SaRay View Post
                            this ex new yorker is craving her bagel fix! also can you all recommend your favorite "new york deli" here in oahu? i heard Taste of New York has huge portions.. but no Bagels & Lox.. i cant belive it lol
                            Lox of Bagels on Sand Island Access Rd. has two Lox varieties. One has the smoked salmon (lox) pureed into the cream cheese. That one is cheap. The other one is called "The Manhattan", which uses slices of smoked salmon ON cream cheese with capers, an olive spread and red onions. A bit pricey at $7.50. I have yet to try it, so can't say how good it is.

Being an ex-New Yorker, you must like hot dogs. If so, do try their bagel dog. Awesome. Their fresh deli style bagel sandwiches are fantastic as well. They have turkey.

Tikiyaki pointed out that a TRUE bagel shop BOILS their bagels before baking them. Not sure if L.O.B. does that. I think doing that puts that smooth sheen on them, no? L.O.B.s didn't have that characteristic, but still, they're freshly made and very good.

i've been eyeing the one on sand island for awhile.. maybe i'll go today when my hubby gets home!
                            Today (Sunday) they're CLOSED.

LOX OF BAGELS
                            Sand Island Center
                            111 Sand Island Access Road
                            Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
                            Tel: (808) 845-2855 Fax: (808) 845-8679
                            Mon-Fri: 5:00am to 3:00pm
                            Sat: 6:30am to 2pm Sun: closed

If you're in that area early during the week, get their breakfast bagel sandwiches. Da' best!
                            Last edited by Pomai; July 1, 2007, 09:33 AM. Reason: hours
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              Bagels rule !

WARNING :
                              If you go to a bagel place and they DON'T have a big Boiling vat...walk out.
                              Bagels have to be boiled first, THEN baked. A bagel made without a boiling first is NOT a bagel.
                              Speaking as a battered (but luckily, not fried) survivor of the "The Best Hot Dog" thread I'm a bit hesitant to get into this but oh what the heck.

"Boiling Vat" bagels on Oahu? Is it possible??

Yep, it is. "This Is It Bakery and Deli" across from Fisher Hawaii on Cooke Street. This is the very closest to a NY bagel I've ever had in Hawaii. Boiled, shiny, chewy. Definitely NOT the puffy "sugarless donut" that I've found many of the awful pretenders to be.

And....BIALYS! Kinda tough, like they are supposed to be---sorta like chewy pizza dough. They got this one almost perfect. Often wonderfully slightly overbrowned on the bottom. One little disappointment---the mushy onion blob in the center of the onion bialys. Too pulverized, but I'm forgiving them.

The customary big wire baskets of fresh bagels. You can pick just which one you want too---a la NY. I like the light-colored sesame ones best. Get there early for the best selection.

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                              Agreed!

I love a good bagel, but I prefer a good Bialy any day of the week.
                              See above.

An article about "This Is It Bakery and Deli":

http://starbulletin.com/2002/05/07/business/engle.html
                              Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; July 1, 2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X