Teacher's Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher's Shower

Lovin' the Dear Abby column in today's paper!
    FRIENDS AND FAMILY SHOWER NEW TEACHER WITH GREAT GIFTS

DEAR ABBY: I teach aspiring elementary school teachers in a credential program in California. The family of one of my students came up with a great way to celebrate her graduation from the program and help her prepare for her new career as a teacher. They threw her a "teacher shower."

To help her start her classroom library, each guest brought a hardback copy of his/her favorite children's book. She was also given baskets of teacher supplies such as Sharpie pens, Post-Its, stickers and colored paper for the school copier.

Other gift ideas are class sets of small white-boards with markers, board games, membership to teachers' organizations like the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and the National Council of Teachers of English, subscriptions to children's and teachers' magazines, art supplies, a museum membership, P.E. equipment like balls and jump ropes, etc.

I know the shower meant a lot to my student, and in states like California, where teachers often spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars of their own money for classroom supplies, throwing a teacher shower can be a terrific way for families and friends to show their support for the new teacher and for education in general. I hope you will print this, Abby, to help spread the idea of teacher showers and show support for the next generation of classroom teachers. -- JULIE, A TEACHER'S TEACHER, BERKELEY, CALIF.
    I know, it isn't cool to cut/paste in entirety from other websites, but the very idea of this letter is uncommon. How many of us have aspiring teachers in our orbits? Has anyone ever experienced a shower such as this?

What would you give, if you were invited to one?

pax

Re: Teacher's Shower

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    How many of us have aspiring teachers in our orbits? Has anyone ever experienced a shower such as this?

What would you give, if you were invited to one?
    Well it is a shower, right? So I'd probably give him or her shampoo, hair conditioner, a scrub cloth and a bar of soap.

If Scrivener were my teacher, I'd give him a gift card from Nico's at Pier 38.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      [...]What would you give, if you were invited to one?
      Probably a gift card to one of the office supply stores; most likely Fishers 'cuz they're local and their prices are in line with and can be less than the big box stores.

Comment

What a very cool idea! We give people house-warming parties when they buy especially their first house, wedding showers...and I think this idea rocks.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

And here I thought this thread was going to be about faculty locker room etiquette.

Comment

Working...
          X