Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th of July.

Aloha,

It's almost time to celebrate our nations Birthday. My son wanted to know what the Hawaiians did to celebrate that day.
    I told him that my family would go camping with all the extended family. We had a great time at the beach. When we were in Hilo, we used to watch the fireworks and stay up till mid-night. Boy....that was some fun times back then. In Ka'u we used to bust firecrackers and have a party at Punalu'u. On Oahu my father used to take us to Nanakuli and we used to get together with all the ohana there and party till we all fell asleep on the beach.

What memories.
    Aleno

PS What did you do for 4th of July Holiday?

Re: 4th of July.

Hide somewhere quiet and away from the mobs.

I guess I'll tuck myself somewhere at UH-Manoa for the day and, especially, the evening.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but this is not a Fourth when I feel particularly proud to be an American. What we did to those poor people in that Iraqi prison isn't nearly as bad as how our "leaders" have responded to it.

So, no, I won't be waving the Old Glory this year. Maybe it will get better in 2005. I hope so, and especially hope we have a new President then.

Comment

I admit, I'm insane. I go to the mall the day after Thanksgiving, not because I want to shop, but because the sheer insanity and madness of one giant throbbing mass of humanity is too interesting to pass up.

So, yes, on the 4th of July, my family and I will wade into the crowds at Ala Moana. We're hoping to meet up with some old net.friends from USENET, but otherwise, my daughter loves the fireworks and I like to peoplewatch.

Comment

Back when there was a baseball game at Aloha Stadium I could watch the fireworks there from my back deck; now I just worry about idiots throwing aerial fireworks and whether my dog will survive the night (although the 4th has never even been remotely as bad as New Year's Eve in our neighborhood).
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

In years past it's normally watching a movie at the theater during the day and eating some hot dogs. Some years it's eating at KFC.

I don't know what I will be doing this year.

Comment

Having friends and mostly family over...which is fine. We don't usually do as much fireworks on this holiday...and with the permits still at $25 we won't buy any firecrackers. This year we will reflect more on where the US is going as far as being at "war" with many nations. I wanted to visit Europe this summer but decided against it...too much anti America sentiment going around. In whatever way you choose to celebrate our nation's birth...please be safe.
            Retired Senior Member

Comment

"in whatever way you choose to celebrate our nation's birth...Please be safe"
              Hay I Second that!., Mocha.
              Happy fourth, everyone, & also please be safe!.
              Aloha & Take Care.
              Aches & Pains
              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Well it looks like I'll probably catch tomorrow night's fireworks show. Already caught one show at Aloha Tower this evening.

http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/

Also went to see "Spiderman 2" at Signature Dole.

Happy Indpendence Day!
                God Bless America
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Saw the fireworks at Aloha Tower Marketplace. Took a video of it, haven't had the chance to see it yet.

Comment

Thanks for sharing some of your awesome shots Mel. Happy 4th to all
                    Retired Senior Member

Comment

I took a few more fireworks pictures at Ala Moana Shopping Center's scenic parking lot tonight.

http://macpro-events.buzznet.com/
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Again your shots are fabulous Mel...I notice you put the name of the camera that you take your shots with...am looking for a digital camera to replace my Canon Power shot S45...any suggestions. My son wants the Canon Power shot S1IS...I want to stick to Canon. He likes that the zoom is greater than the Canon Power shot S500
                        Retired Senior Member

Comment

The family and I went first to BayFest in Kaneohe, and then, like Mel, to the fireworks at Ala Moana Center. BayFest was fun, but hot, hot, hot! The Ala Moana fireworks were nice, and we watched from our van on the topmost parking level Ewa/Mauka of Sears.

I posted photos from BayFest as well as from Ala Moana on my site. I'm still getting used to my camera, a Panasonic Lumix FZ-10.

I also have to say, the Kaneohe marines have crowd control down pat. It was amazing just how different the experience was, getting into and out of MCBH versus getting into and out of Ala Moana. The former had extensive and helpful signage, efficiently deployed guides, and organized parking. The latter was a complete disaster (it took 40 minutes just to get from the top parking deck to mall level).

Comment

To commemorate Independence Day, I went to see Fahrenheit 9/11. What more American thing could you do on the 4th of July than to rail against tyranny, corruption, and oppressive governments?

Comment

to Pzarquon! Thanks for sharing YOUR pictures...your kids are sure cuties! They look like they're really good kids...you're lucky!
                              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
                              X