X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Canadian Crippler

Chris Benoit and family were found dead today in their home

Posted at 2:55 p.m., Monday, June 25, 2007

WWE wrestler Benoit, wife, son found dead in Ga.

Associated Press
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. — WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead today and police said they were investigating the deaths as a homicide.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

Pope said results of autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy, and 7-year-old son Daniel were expected Tuesday.
    He will be missed.

source
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: RIP Canadian Crippler

I am really tired of seeing families enduring violent deaths. This is becoming far too common lately, at home and abroad. Its p*ssing me off and breaking my heart.

I was a CB fan back in da Smackdown dayz. Hurts my heart to read about this.

pax

Comment

I remember being a wee little lad sitting with papa watchin wrastlin and cheering on the Crippler. Sad when people on the teli you feel like you grown up with pass away.

Whats up with wrestlers dying so young?

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
        Whats up with wrestlers dying so young?
        I don't know. I thought Chris is one of the more grounded wrestling entertainers.

It wasn't too long ago that his buddy Eddie passed away. And on June 15th, "Sensational" Sherri Martel passed away at the age of 49.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

They just announced it was murder/suicide. Chris strangled his wife and son, then hung himself. A reaction to steroids may be the cause. Still sad and a tragedy.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by alohabear; June 26, 2007, 09:54 AM.

Flickr

Comment

There's also been reports that Benoit was taking a date rape drug along with the steroids. Whether he was or not, it's still a tragedy, and there is one person who, in my opinion, deserves a share of the blame for what happened: Vincent Kennedy McMahon. The "Wellness Policy" he and the WWE began shortly after Eddie Guerrero's death is a joke; it appears that steroid use is not covered in the policy, and even if it is, all a wrestler has to do is wave a prescription and everything's cool. If McMahon were really serious, he would be a lot stricter about steroids.

Comment

There's no doubt there will be a scrutiny on WWE's management on their wellness policy. But is he guilty of enabling or encouraging steroid use that lead to the Benoit family tragedy?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                There's no doubt there will be a scrutiny on WWE's management on their wellness policy. But is he guilty of enabling or encouraging steroid use that lead to the Benoit family tragedy?
                Both. Back in the day he used to force it on wrestlers. In today's WWE, if you don't look the part of a WWE superstar, you aren't going to get your push. He may not do it overtly anymore, but we all know that the pressure to take it is there. How many "non-steroidal" wrestlers have ever received a big push? I can't think of too many. The Heartbreak Kid? Remember the Rock. When he was skinny, athletic Rocky Maivea (sp?), he was some chump. A little juice to turn him into the Rock, and he is a superstar. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (sp?), into Triple H. The list goes on. I really hope that the Benoit "incident" opens up people's eyes. If not McMahon's then at least the wrestlers who are tempted.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
                  Both. Back in the day he used to force it on wrestlers. In today's WWE, if you don't look the part of a WWE superstar, you aren't going to get your push. He may not do it overtly anymore, but we all know that the pressure to take it is there. How many "non-steroidal" wrestlers have ever received a big push? I can't think of too many. The Heartbreak Kid? Remember the Rock. When he was skinny, athletic Rocky Maivea (sp?), he was some chump. A little juice to turn him into the Rock, and he is a superstar. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (sp?), into Triple H. The list goes on. I really hope that the Benoit "incident" opens up people's eyes. If not McMahon's then at least the wrestlers who are tempted.
                  I agree. In fact, I've heard things about how a courier would deliver a box of 'roids to McMahon at WWE HQ in Stamford, Connecticut; McMahon would take about half of the doses out, then give the box back to the courier with instructions to deliver it down the hall to Hulk Hogan's office. It seems to have been a common thing in those days, so who knows what's going on in Stamford now?

Comment

Remember the Rock. When he was skinny, athletic Rocky Maivea (sp?), he was some chump. A little juice to turn him into the Rock, and he is a superstar.
                    I thought he developed his bulk during his college football days. Can't really accept that a guy who had a local Hawaii connection (I remembered his dad and grandfather wrestling locally) to be taking steroid.

So do we punish McMahon for the past sin, or the current environment (even if the environment have not changed since the old days)?

Comment

Remember the Rock. When he was skinny, athletic Rocky Maivea (sp?), he was some chump. A little juice to turn him into the Rock, and he is a superstar.
                      Before wrestling he was a 6'3, 270lb divison 1 athlete that played for at the time the best college football team in the country.

The rock was "The Rock" because of his natural charisma.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                        Before wrestling he was a 6'3, 270lb divison 1 athlete that played for at the time the best college football team in the country.

The rock was "The Rock" because of his natural charisma.
                        Full marks. That is correct. His charisma made him the most likeable heel of all time, and he parlayed that into superstardom. But ... there's no denying that he was on the juice during his major push.

I am not saying that he was tiny when he started. He was a football player (LB, I can't remember), so he was a big dude. This is his early days.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...kthen15901.jpg

This is Rocky circa 2001

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_ringside.jpg

I could find better pics, but I'm too lazy. It's obvious that these guys were all originally big dudes. Most wrestlers were athletes of some sort. Kurt Angle - Olympic wrestler; Goldberg - football player, Scott Steiner - College wrestler. But there's no denying that steroids helped them get HUGE. And aside form the few athletic type of wrestlers that jumped around a lot, all wrestlers were on the juice for a time. Even The Edge went through his steroid days. During the late 90s, and early 00s, I hadn't seen acne like that since high school.

Comment

Full marks. That is correct. His charisma made him the most likeable heel of all time, and he parlayed that into superstardom. But ... there's no denying that he was on the juice during his major push.

I am not saying that he was tiny when he started. He was a football player (LB, I can't remember), so he was a big dude. This is his early days.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...kthen15901.jpg

This is Rocky circa 2001

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_ringside.jpg

I could find better pics, but I'm too lazy. It's obvious that these guys were all originally big dudes. Most wrestlers were athletes of some sort. Kurt Angle - Olympic wrestler; Goldberg - football player, Scott Steiner - College wrestler. But there's no denying that steroids helped them get HUGE. And aside form the few athletic type of wrestlers that jumped around a lot, all wrestlers were on the juice for a time. Even The Edge went through his steroid days. During the late 90s, and early 00s, I hadn't seen acne like that since high school.
                          I don't think Ric Flair was ever on the juice.

Flickr

Comment

hmmm...my own hubby is no pro-wrestler, but he religiously works out and has since he was a teenager and is similar in size to the Rock. As long as I have known him he gets accused for taking roids, but honestly he never has. He and his brothers are all naturally very big Hawaiian blalahs, but because my husband is the fittest, that question looms. If there is anyone in the WWE that looks like he avoided steroid consumption, I would bet money that it was the Rock.

I look at the guy's neck and jawline for signs of steroid use. Look at pics of natural bodybuilders and compare to those Mr Olympias and see what I mean (because I am struggling to articulate what those differences are).

pax

Comment

I was just reading some of the more recent articles about Chris Benoit in some of the tabloids, and while they were most likely printed for their scandal value, one question came to mind almost immediately: if Chris was on 'roids, did he quit taking them recently? It could very well be that they weren't quite out of his system yet. We'll never know for sure unless they release the autopsy results to the media, but it does kind of make one wonder.

Comment

Working...
                              X