I saw Ryan and Jen's daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Ryan and Jen's daughter

While getting my exercise on off of Diamond head, my friend, daughter and I stopped at the Aloha station across from the Coffee Bean and lo and behold I am looking at the newspaper and realize there is this pic of this little girl that looks way familiar. Well...I finally figured out why she looked so familiar. It was Ryan's daughter on the Honolulu Advertiser stand.

Re: I saw Ryan and Jen's daughter

The stand? Really?

Ryan...hopefully you or Jen signed a release!

Comment

What photo? When was this? (racking my brain trying to remember the last HA issue.)

Comment

Wow. Those are still around, eh? I presume this is what OahuGirl is talking about.

I've gotten reports of Katie sightings from Kona to Kapa'a, and of course all over Honolulu. Katie, of course, is always tickled when she's recognized.

The photo was taken maybe three years ago, now, when she was a student at Voyager -- the charter school in Kakaako. There was indeed a release passed around to everyone in the class, as the shoot was for a "special advertising insert" on schools published in The Advertiser.

Oddly enough, Katie didn't make an appearance in that insert, but lo and behold, she's the star kid on these newspaper rack promo cards scattered all over the state. I guess that release form afforded wide rights in the use of the image beyond that planned publication. Fortunately, she's used to living in public.

Comment

What a little doll! I'll watch for her now that I've read here.
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            [...]Oddly enough, Katie didn't make an appearance in that insert, but lo and behold, she's the star kid on these newspaper rack promo cards scattered all over the state. I guess that release form afforded wide rights in the use of the image beyond that planned publication. Fortunately, she's used to living in public.
            It's always best to read a release thoroughly! If Katie had an agent that agent could've negotiated for some compensation based on the broad usage. The photos were for an insert about schools. The HA used a photo from that session for their own advertising purposes for...FREE!

Here's a hypothetical situation...
            Suppose I was casting an ad (tv or print) for the S-B (or PBN...or Hawaii Hochi...or MidWeek) and the specs called for an adorable, outgoing, bright little girl in the 9-11 age range. I wouldn't even need to go thru my files to think of Katie. And...suppose Katie auditioned and was hired for the part. I wouldn't expect a parent to understand "product conflicts" or, after 3 years, even realize their child had one! Lo and behold, the HA ad runs AND the S-B POS ad is still in place. Both papers would have every reason to be angry and seek to undo the situation.

That said...no laws have been broken. It's just that, in advertising, there's an understood "rule" of exclusivity...unless it's a Screen Actors Guild job which demands exclusivity thru a contract. But, I digress...

This is an interesting situation...if one is a casting director. Otherwise, it's all probably terribly boring! Ryan, don't tell the HA, but I think Katie deserves some remuneration!

Comment

Does Advertiser pay for using the image of Katie on their advertisement?

KA CHING!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                [...]Lo and behold, the HA ad runs AND the S-B POS ad is still in place. [...]
                Oops! It's the HA with the POS ad!
                Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                Does Advertiser pay for using the image of Katie on their advertisement?

KA CHING!
                There's rarely any payment worthy of a "ka ching" within the context of local advertising. That said, even $5. would be a "ka ching" to a child! Even if there is no pay involved I always like to see a cap put on the length of time an ad can air or appear in print. For local commercials, a standard cycle for air time is one year. If the advertiser wants to continue using the spot or the photo then they have to pony up another session fee for the talent for another year. It's called reuse.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  I presume this is what OahuGirl is talking about.
                  Oh, on the newsstand itself. And here I was thinking it was in the paper.

Comment

I had the good fortune of meeting Miss Katie my last visit to Honolulu.

Miss Katie is such a charming and precocious young girl, that after having met her, I thought to myself that if I ever get married at this stage of my life, the first thing my wife and I would do is adopt a girl just like her. (I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to consider raising a newborn)Then I realized that's impossible: Miss Katie is clearly one of a kind!
                    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; June 26, 2007, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X