Pop Wahnah Foooootball season is hea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Wahnah Foooootball season is hea!

Is anyone else besides me a PWF parent? This is our third tackle season for my son. The first one I *hated* it, the second I fell in love with it. The work a parent has to do to get that team up and running! But what a beautiful sport (when the coaches are cool and the parents are cool and the kiddies are trainable). The discipline is a thing to behold. I love watching how skinny (er, sorry son; "cut") the cub gets after a solid month of conditioning. I haven't gotten used to watching my son get hit, though; don't expect ever to. I tell him to "run like you got your sister's $20 bill!"

Anyone here played PWF when they were younger? Anyone here a parent of the sport?

pax

Re: Pop Wahnah Foooootball season is hea!

Aloha Puai

I am a coach in the South Kona Pop Warner Club. I played for 4 years in PW as a child. Good fun all the time. I coach the midgets - 7,8,9 grades.

It's a problem keeping weight on the children in Hawaii. Speaking as a coach, I can tell you that diet is THE issue. Garbage calories like Rice just don't cut the mustard in a demanding sport like football. Better to feed him a giant banana split than 2 scoop rice. Or a baked potato with ALL the trimmings like sour cream, 2 kinds of cheese, chive onions, bacon chunks, drop of honey, and choke butter (not margarine). Along with a Rib Eye steak, and a salad. And make them eat ALL the salad.

I used to coach at Konawaena High School. But after 11 wins in a row, I was fired right before the big playoff game. It's one of the best lessons I ever learned in Hawaii about "how things are" in Hawaii. Being a super-achiever here is villified on a grand scale. Nobody likes a loud mouth, overachieving, narcissistic, confrontational, 6' 225 lb, egomaniac, ass-kickin, red-neck, winner like me. Not even if it would benefit their child. So I went to the game, and watched Kam-HI slaughter Konawaena 42-12, while sitting outside the fence, in my beach chair, drinking Jack Daniels and Coors Lt, until the bitter end. Too bad. So Sad. But at least the parents never complained to the AD about the situation. Hey Haole, keep your mouth shut. We got our ways in Hawaii, and we don't need your new ideas.

Football season is coming again, and I should have a bunch of returning players. Konawaena may not even have a JV team, so we should be stacked to the roof with talent. I got good feelings about the coming season.

Tell your boy to run, run, run. Make him run when he mows the lawn. Make him run to school. Make him run when you go grocery store, and just drive slow to stay with him. And for God's sake, feed him 5 hot squares per day. During Football season, with 5 day a week practice, calorie intake should be well above 5,000 per day for a 10-14 year old. In High School, even more.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

its a small island. One of the boys on that team used to have a crush on my eldest daughter back when she was a freshman (no way! too young!). My husband and I looked at that kid's stats on the roster and I thought, "this boy will be hard for my husband to lick if he messes with my daughter". That was one huuuge blalah. Ah, my daughter cannot help she is moke bait.

I know what you mean about keeping the meat on. Our boys fall into two categories: skinny buggahs or cannot play until freshman year because they are too big. It is in my boy's gene pool to be a twerp now and grow nui later. As it is, his shoe size is his age, so you can imagine how big my puppy is going to grow.

As for diet, I mahalo my husband; we eat only brown rice, a lot of meat and choke fresh veggies for every dinner. The boy is fond of his salad and can never get enough kalua pig, which is good for us, as we always have bags in our freezer as my FIL raises pigs and regularly runs the imu.

Last season was a good one for our whole club. Excellent challenges throughout. The politics of PWF is something else, though. Not the smartest cats on the HLA board, but them for love to control the sport.

pax

Comment

My 10 yr old son will be playing Pop Warner football this year for the first time. He has wanted to play for years now but I thought it was best to wait until he was a little older. Plus mom doesn't want to see her little boy get hurt. LOL He LOVES football so much and his dream has always been to play tackle football. I might add my son is very strong and I told him please don't be too rough on the other kids. haha

I registered him back in May and turned in his report card a few weeks ago. When my son and I went to turn in the report card some of the parents and I guess assistant coaches were there. They were shocked to see that my son is only 10. My son is 5 feet and weighs about 93 pounds and very strong! They were so excited that he was going to be apart of their team.

I am kinda unsure as to what to expect. But I have heard practices are 5 days a week and there is a lot of fundraising that goes on. It's gonna be hard getting used to practice everyday but it will be worth it!

We have a whole bunch of friends and family who will going to the practices and games to cheer on my son!! I can't wait!

Comment

Yep, get ready to give up your life until December. PWF is a 6month commitment, but a beautiful one worth the sacrifices, believe me.

pax

Comment

Don't teach your child to hold back on a football field. You gonna get him killed.

Rough and tumble. Full tilt boogie. Take no prisoners. Knock 'em down again. And again.

Bring all the bad energy when you mad at school, when you mad at Mom or Dad, when you mad at a teacher, your sister, Tutu, or even the dog.....Bring all that energy to the football field. And you will be a nicer child everywhere else you go. Leave the bad stuff on the field. Paint the other team with it. Use it to motivate, annihilate, steamroll, and pummel whomever gets in your way.

Football is an excellent way to learn to channel energies. Most especially that hard core boy energy that ends up gettin in trouble somewhere down the line.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

the best thing a mom can learn is that this is "male training" time. Let them be. Don't fuss. Get em ready and get out of their way. Get out of their way. Get out of the coaches' way. Get out of the boys' way. Stay on the sidelines and beam, cheer, get (((loud))) but let them be.

If mothers had their way and we were the zebras, yellow flags would fly at every play and we would holler at them to share, play nice and apologize!!! I get it now why we need to let the maliens do their malien thing. (male + aliens = maliens).

I ain't gonna lie; there were times when I wanted to kick a kid's ass for how he hit my son. But I'm a lioness and cannot change my nature. Every boy wants to play defense. Offense is so much harder; somebody has to figure out how to run that ball, and I appreciated how the coaches taught my son the mana of standing back up after taking a hit; shake it off and walk tall and get ready to run the next play.

Football is a beautiful sport and the best part about it is that my son drives the household there; he loves it more than anything and wants to be on that field.

pax

Comment

What's with the Bostonian accent?

"Male training" time? Aren't girls allowed to play also? I mean it's not like co-ed amateur wrestling.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

what is a bostonian accent and where on this thread do you see it employed? As for girls, with the few exceptions of girls that I have seen (can count them on my hand), and seen them accepted and allowed to participate (every one of those three girls), football is a boys culture. No doubt. At all.

pax

Comment

It's "Warner," not "Wahnah."

There's no pidgin "Wahnah." Unless it is South American for "chicken bones."

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      football is a boys culture. No doubt. At all.
                      Um, I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        It's "Warner," not "Wahnah."

There's no pidgin "Wahnah." Unless it is South American for "chicken bones."
                        it IS "Wahnah".

pax

Comment

I played at age 12. If there's life lessons learned through football I'd say they're the wrong ones. Couldn't stand the nepotism either although that's not limited to PW. I guess there would be too few coaches if they couldn't coach their own kid's team.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Never did play Pop Warner Football. Just pop-your-gut football (no pads, the playing field is the street road).

Comment

How your son was hit by one of my players is likely my fault. My players are drowned in confidence psychology at every practice.

How your son resisted hitting his girlfriend, or his future child, is also something I can help with.

Football's best life lesson is the clear understanding, ne, codification using an honor code, of when, and when NOT, violence is the answer, and the knowledge that there is no such thing as 95% violence.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                              X