Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever seen two rival companies help each other out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever seen two rival companies help each other out?

One time, I saw one of KHNL's news trucks (those big vans w/ cameras ontop) at a church. It looked like they locked in their vehicle's keys, and since it was on, the vehicle was in danger of overheating. Then I saw one of KITV's guys try to open the doors (carjacker style) and they succeded.

I guess if you need help, your rival might be kind enough to help you (and thankfully, no one saw that, or else they would of suspected something else.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Ever seen two rival companies help each other out?

A neat story. Then again, this is a small town. I have both friends and family in the local media business, and there's so much job-hopping going around, more than a few times I've asked one of them about so-and-so station or paper and found out only then that they now worked for a competitor.

The same is true, I'd wager, in any other local industry, from tourism to financial services. If you believe in the "six degrees" theory, Hawaii probably maxes out between three and four. Burning bridges is probably a lot more dangerous here than in other cities.

There's friendly (and sometimes unfriendly) competition, to be sure, but I'd like to think when push comes to shove, anyone can work together.

Which reminds me... I wonder how Clint Arnoldus and Ron Migita are getting on?

Comment

I don't know about company-to-company, but certainly there's a lot of "I know someone who works over there; maybe he/she has an idea of how to do that" going on.

Given the amount of jobhopping within the hotel industry, particularly in the sales end, it's a wonder we don't hear about lawsuits for theft of customer/lead lists.

When I went to a hotel in 1990 the guy who'd been DP Mgr before I got there had gone over to another hotel a few blocks away and was happily recreating an entire system he'd initially developed for the first one.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I get along quite well with most of the photogs at the 'Tizer. While I consider them "my rival" and will try to outshoot them at any given opportunity, we help each other out a lot. I have absolutely nothing against them as people, although I may have "issues" with their company. I have a lot of fun with them on assignments. This goes with the television shooters as well. We all give each other room to work, help one another out when we can. Of course when spot news goes down, all bets are off and it's every shooter for him/herself. Then again there are shooters who have been complete jerks and let it suffice to say I remember them when I get to an assignment.

Comment

Working...
        X