Derek Tatsuno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Tatsuno

a naive question but i've never been a big baseball fan. read this article about derek today and wondered why he didn't make a bigger splash in the game when he returned to the states? was it basically a matter of age?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...707010375/1032

just curious...
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: Derek Tatsuno

I'm not too sure about why he didn't make more noise in MLB, too. I reckon that his arm was already worn out, in the eyes of MLB scouts. I mean, wow...pitched all 14 innings in a 14 inning game? 12 CG and a 9-3 record?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

yeah, maybe so. it'll never happen but i wish he were a close friend so i could have a couple of beers with him and listen to him talk candidly about his career and his choices.

bottom line, i hope he's healthy and happy.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

It has been mentioned before that the Japanese catchers could not catch his curve ball. So what they did was alter his delivery. I guess you would have to ask Tatsuno though.

I wonder if anyone has video of him pitching.
        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

how many from Hawaii have played in major league baseball? Has pro baseball had HI representation that say, pro football or volleyball? Has any of ours gone on to play pro basketball?

pax

Comment

Basketball ... are you counting local products or UH attendees?
            UH: AC Carter, Bob Nash
            Baseball: Mike Lum, Mike Fetters, currently Shane Victorino (who was leading the league in assists). Benny Agbayani.

The newspaper usually keeps track of the local boys in baseball.
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Don't forget Sid Fernandez of the Mets.

and yes, Tatsuno's delivery was altered while in Japan.

Comment

Ron Darling also lived in HNL.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Derek was a classmate of mine at Aiea High School though he graduated a year before me in 1976.

Comment

Ron Darling was born in Honolulu and of course was teammates with Sid Fernandez. Where does Sid live now?

I think Barry Bonds had a brief run with the Hawaii Islanders right?

Chuck Tanner was manager years ago and later managed the Pirates to the World Series in 1979...

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Ron Darling was born in Honolulu and of course was teammates with Sid Fernandez. Where does Sid live now?

I think Barry Bonds had a brief run with the Hawaii Islanders right?

Chuck Tanner was manager years ago and later managed the Pirates to the World Series in 1979...

Aj
                      According to my own website,
                      1985, as it turned out, was the beginning of the end for the franchise in Honolulu. Attendance was dropping, despite two consecutive first-place finishes. In 1986 it fell below 85,000; the team finished ninth in the standings, although it once again had the league leader as well as team-best ERA that year. Barry Bonds played 44 games for the team before his callup to Pittsburgh that year.
                      Tanner managed the Islanders from 1969-1970. There's a picture of Tatsuno in an Islander uniform here.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                        According to my own website,

Quote:
                        1985, as it turned out, was the beginning of the end for the franchise in Honolulu. Attendance was dropping, despite two consecutive first-place finishes. In 1986 it fell below 85,000; the team finished ninth in the standings, although it once again had the league leader as well as team-best ERA that year. Barry Bonds played 44 games for the team before his callup to Pittsburgh that year.
                        Beginning of the end was actually several years earlier. After the novelty of Aloha Stadium wore off and a last place finish killed off the momentum of fan interest that had built up after the back-to-back PCL championship years of 1975-76, attendance slipped below 200K and would never rise above that level again. Basically, the sports fans of Hawaii, by and large, had abandoned the Islanders for the last decade of the franchise's existence and was kept on life support only through philanthropic-like efforts by owners like Dave Elmore. But minor league baseball is a business, and through a variety of factors, the Islanders had ceased becoming a viable business enterprise. From 1980 onwards, it was simply a matter of waiting for the plug to finally be pulled.

Derek Tatsuno hooking up with the Islanders in hopes of reviving fan interest was ironic, given that he played a big part in building up what turned out to be the Islander's biggest competition for spectators: The UH baseball team.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Islanders At Termite Palace

Magical days. Great memories.

Comment

Anyone remember Doug Capilla? He was a pitcher who played in the mid 70s to the early 80s, for St. Louis, Cincinnati, and the Chicago Cubs. I'm pretty sure he was from Honolulu.

Comment

Working...
                            X