Timmy Chang, remember him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timmy Chang, remember him?

Hey All. I don't follow UH football, but I know of Timmy Chang as I have an interest in any Asian athlete playing in major North American sports. I've been following what he's been doing off and on, including getting cut by the Eagles and his short stint in NFL Europe. For anyone who cares, he is playing in the CFL (Canadian Football League) as a back-up for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=r...ay&ros_id=1082

He had a terrific preseason, and the team is really high on him. This league is taylor made for guys like Chang, who lacks NFL size, but who can throw the ball, especially on the run. Doug Flutie played down there and he was a superstar. This is not a knock on the league either. The athletes are every bit athletic as their NFL counterparts. But the field they play on is more than 10 yards wider (65 vs 53ish), 10 yards longer (110 vs 100), and the end zones are huge (20 vs 10). Thus, the players tend to be smaller, but much quicker. In the NFL field, size is everything, so players with talent but no size (Flutie) can thrive in the CFL, but not the NFL.

Anyways, the TiCats starter had a fairly mediocre game last week, and there is talk of Chang taking over sooner rather than later. There are issues with this as the rules of the CFL are very different from the NFL, but the game play is similar to what June Jones 'gimmicky' program, with lots of 5 and even 6 receiver sets (there is one extra player on the field relative to NFL), and multiple players in motion pre-snap.

Anyways, this is just FYI, in case anyone is interested. I'll keep posting info if anyone cares.

Re: Timmy Chang, remember him?

He'll be a future star in the CFL. I remember a couple years ago he gave USC a scare in the first half. That one was an exciting game, untill USC came back.

Comment

A Timmy Chang update. His team, The Hamilton Tiger-Cats, are bru-tal. Chek out the team's losses so far: 37-9, 30-5, 29-20 (should have been worse). The play of the starting QB has been one of the biggest reasons, but the O-line is porous (one of the reasons Timmy isn't starting yet), and the D can't stop anything. There is much talk of starting Chang, especially after glimpses of brilliance on the weekend. Came off the bench (he's come into every game thus far this year), started 3-5, including a beautiful 71 yard TD strike where he hit his receiver on a post pattern. But then he came up with 6 straight incompletions to close out the game. Many want him to start this weekend, but the Tiger-Cats will face the best team in the league, and he will get eaten alive by the opposing front four.

The Tiger-Cats are currently going through a youth movement, cleaning out the remnants of the old regime (which included starting a bunch of 35-38 yeard olds on offence). They are very high on Chang, and they believe that he has all the tools to be at worst a competent starter in the CFL (mobile, live arm). They are bringing him on slowly, working him into games whenever the situation calls for it, and it will only be a matter of time before he starts full-time. Look for him to start full-time by the end of the year, take his lumps, and step it up next year.

Comment

Haumana-

Great job of keeping us updated on TC. Wow, that's a bit odd. TC playing for the TC. Anyway, don't really have time to follow the week-to-week development of his career, so thanks for the Kokua...

And good luck to TC, who I'd like to make it in Canada and then come back to US in style, like Warren did, many Moons ago..oooh, that wuz bad..

Aloha,

jim

Comment

Originally posted by JamezD View Post
          And good luck to TC, who I'd like to make it in Canada and then come back to US in style, like Warren did, many Moons ago..oooh, that wuz bad..

Aloha,

jim
          Hah I like you already! Yeah good luck to Timmy. I miss yelling "RUN!" when he was playing for UH.

Comment

Timmy Chang, I guess you guys (and gals) call him TC, was on our local radio this morning (The Ti-Cats are in town). Not too revealing. He is trying to get used to the CFL game. He likes it, feels it's a good fit for his skills. Doesn't hang out much in Hamilton (think of Pittsburgh, it also has the nickname Steeltown), he lives just down the road from the stadium. Praises June Jones, Cal and Ron Lee, and Miles something (sorry, didn't catch the last name) for his development.

The one interesting thing that did come out of this is that he told his coach that he wanted to start. This was leaked to the Hamilton press, and it got splashed all over the local papers and radio talk shows (the Ti-Cats are the show in Hamilton, I don't blame TC for not hanging out much). We'll see what kinf of ramifications this will have. Canadians don't take too well to "me-first" athletes, but the starter's play has been so brutal, I'm sure that many Hamilton natives are saying, "Hell yeah, let the kid start!" I guess it depends on the tone of his words (honest feelings vs a demand). Like I said above, the Ti-Cats are facing the league's most dominant defence, so TC will not start. What happens next week will be based on what happens tonight. For those who want to listen to TC, they have a podcast of the show

http://www.team1040.ca/podcasts/

Click on BMac & Rintoul, and TC will be on within the first 2 or 3 minutes. The podcasts are updated everyday, so you can only download this podcast until about 6AM HT tomorrow (July 19). Also, if you want to listen to the game, you can listen to live streaming on www.team1040.ca. The game starts at 7:30 local time (4:30 Hawai'i time), and the play-by-play crew of Rick Ball and Guilio Carravata are very good.

Comment

Originally posted by JamezD View Post
              Haumana-
              I hope he does extremely well in the CFL. But I'm sure that the NFL is not for him. The way the game is going, he just doesn't fit the mold, and for those familiar with the NFL, coaches there are too afraid to go against the grain. Furthermore, learning the CFL game actually hurts your NFL chances. The game is played so differently, QBs have a ridiculous time making that transition. I can only think of a handful of QBs who made it. Moon, Jeff Garcia, Doug Flutie (does he count? I'm sure he only made it cuz of his legacy). I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Interestingly, it doesn't work the other way either. Many NFL QBs come up here thinking they can revive their career, but it doesn't quite pan out. Jarious Jackson from the Broncos is the third stringer her in Vancouver, Akili Smith has thrown 4 INTs in his first 25 passes, Todd Marinovich busted his career. Again, there are more, and they are the lesser lights (why would they come here is they were NFL stars?). Mike McMahon is the next project. He came to the CFL knowing that he could make more money in the NFL holding the clipboard, but he wanted to start. Was third string after training camp, but injuries and spotty QB play has landed him the starter's role this week.

Comment

Sorry. The game is tomorrow night, or afternoon (Thursday the 18th), not today.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
                  Sorry. The game is tomorrow night, or afternoon (Thursday the 18th), not today.
                  But today is Wednesday the 18th, so... ?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    But today is Wednesday the 18th, so... ?

Damn it! Okay, the game is Thursday, July 19th, 4:30 Hawai'i time. I am so bad with dates (goes back to my high school/college days ). Game will probably be a laugher, but that means that Timmy gets more playing time.

Comment

The Timmy Chang era in Hamilton begins.

The Ti-Cats have been struggling, with a struggling offence partly to blame for their 1-7 start. Looks like the coaches are evaluating Timmy's abilities to be a starter in the CFL.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=217276&hubname=cfl

For those early birds, the game is on live at 7AM Hawai'i time, Labour Day Monday. You can listen to it on the radio, or on TV for those who can get CBC via satellite. The game is a more sleep friendly 10AM start for me. I'll be up and watching.

Comment

Not a start to remember for Timmy. Here's the line

5-15, 44 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT (returned for a TD), 14.6 efficiency rating

While there were some (tiny) excuses (Ti-Cats were missing their leading rusher, Faced one of the league's top pass D), he was pretty brutal. Held the ball too long, tended to lock on to one or two reads, made wrong reads. Looked nervous as hell, as could be evidenced by his happy feet when standing in the pocket. Sat on the bench in the second half. The good news. 4 of his 5 completions looked beautiful coming out of his hands. Evaded sacks a couple of times with some nice escape moves. The coach emphasized that starting Timmy was not an experiment, and that he would be starting for at least a little while. Hopefully next week things will turn out better for Timmy.

Comment

I saw him play last month My friends family has season tickets for Hamilton Tigers.. and yeah he's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by *pinao* View Post
                            I saw him play last month My friends family has season tickets for Hamilton Tigers.. and yeah he's awesome
                            So I guess this is not news for Pinao, but for those on the Islands, there's a good news, bad news situation brewing in Hamilton. Good news, Jason Maas, the other QB, got traded. Bad news, he got traded because the Ti-Cats signed the 2004 CFL MVP to a 3 year deal (who had tried to crack it with the Chiefs the past year before being released after training camp). So what does this mean? Timmy is starting for now, but only until Casey Printers (the new QB) gets familiar with the new surroundings. Then it's Casey's job. Not really sure what the plans for Timmy are after that, but the CFl is small, and good QBs are hard to find, so if he plays well in his opportunities, he will get a chance with another team eventually.

Comment

Yeah I heard about that.. but he didnt play much in the TiCats vs Bombers game I saw.. But I guess if he keeps upping his play all the time, then who knows, maybe someone else will pick him and he gets a better contract.. or then TiCats notice how good he is and gives him more play time..

I just hope to see him more on the field he was way cool and we have good spots there at the stadium.. we're right behind the Ticats so I saw Timmy hanging out a lot.. it was funny..

Comment

Working...
                              X