CFL Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL Bulbs

This has been bugging me and this is the perfect place to comment, listen, learn and share about it. I've been hearing a lot of radio commercials and seeing Jade Moon, which by the way I respect and like a lot trying to sell us all on using CFL lightbulbs.

What is bugging me is that the whole story isn't being told. I don't think even the Advertiser covered every possible problem with these things. The little bit of mercury in them isn't their biggest downside.

A regular CFL bulb is not supposed to be put in any fixture that is a three way fixture, only three way bulbs belong in those. There are CFLs made three way but they aren't easy to find on island, to purchase. I think it was the Star Bulletin that did a story on this a few mos. back and they had contacted local stores and only found one lighting store that had, or could order three-way CFLs. Walmart at the time didn't have them, I looked, and the article mentioned that until CFLs, in general become more in demand the stores said they weren't stocking the three way ones.

Another potential hazard is putting the CFLs in enclosed fixtures.

Problem is that whomever Jade is making the commercials for isn't serving the public well. She alludes to it being a good idea to replace ALL of our light fixtures with CFLs, with no mention about the potential three-way hazard, or them not being safe in enclosed fixtures.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Re: CFL Bulbs~

I didn't know that about the enclosed fixtures. I currently (haha!) have them in the ceiling fan in my living room and I HATE them! The color of the light is just AWFUL. I'm going to play with the number of bulbs I have in there (it takes four, but I've only got two right now), but if the color or brightness don't improve, I'm moving these to the laundry room, bathroom, hallway, and stairs. But I don't like the idea of having uncovered fixtures -- they're repugnant.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mmmmm, Jade Moon. Rowr.
      Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I currently (haha!) have them in the ceiling fan in my living room and I HATE them! The color of the light is just AWFUL. I'm going to play with the number of bulbs I have in there (it takes four, but I've only got two right now), but if the color or brightness don't improve, I'm moving these to the laundry room, bathroom, hallway, and stairs.
        Have you tried different color temperatures? These days you can get CF lamps in at least three color temps: warm white, cool white, and daylight. And if yours are too dim, it may be that they're old. CF lamps dim with age, unlike incandescents which stay at a fairly constant brightness till they burn out.

Comment

Re: CFL Bulbs

Originally posted by Karen View Post
          Jade Moon, which by the way I respect and like a lot trying to sell us all on using CFL lightbulbs.
          Yeah, I like her too, but at the moment she's a paid mouth - a PR flack. She's got no technical knowledge. (I've got a bigger carp about the bio fuel stuff.)

A regular CFL bulb is not supposed to be put in any fixture that is a three way fixture, only three way bulbs belong in those.
          What's the problem? I've had 3 way sockets and usually only have standard incandescents in there.

Another potential hazard is putting the CFLs in enclosed fixtures.
          That may come under "read the instructions". I've used CFLs in those "jelly jar" lights in our apartment's garage - they run all night, every night.

One issue you've missed is that many can not be dimmed. Some even say don't use it on a electronically switched circuit like a touch lamp. (The garage lights above were switched with mechanical contacts, so they were fine.)

Problem is that whomever Jade is making the commercials for isn't serving the public well. She alludes to it being a good idea to replace ALL of our light fixtures with CFLs, with no mention about the potential three-way hazard, or them not being safe in enclosed fixtures.
          HECO. Yup. Never let the facts get in the way of a good idea. <sigh> Change them all? Yeah, right. They don't make sense in areas where lights are rarely used or only used for a short time. Like attic lights or closet lights.

I'm unaware of any hazard in using CFLs. You mis-use them and they'll have a short life. But no hazard I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            HATE them! The color of the light is just AWFUL.
            It's a case of getting what you pay for. I've seen some CFLs that are "cold" and prone to flickering. I'd only use them for outdoor walkways. But I've got others that are warm (if anything the color is too warm) and flicker free. I've got a old Phillips "Earth Light" that I've had for probably 10 years + by now. No problems. It's my reading light.

Comment

I posted the news article that covered it well.....at a yahoo discussion group, I think, cuz I recall the women talking of it later, so....I'll go peruse the old list from a couple of mos. back, and post it here. It was quite eye opening. There very clearly are two issues with them that are worse than any mercury if they are broken, yada yada. Going to look now....sorry was lazy and didn't try to find the article last night.

Comment

Food for thought, can't confirm the validity of it, as another poster, not an author or reporter wrote this.

""Some "one way" CFLs work in "three way" sockets, some don't;
                it depends on how the base of the CFL is designed. When they
                don't work, there can be a fire hazard if they don't immediately
                trip the circuit breaker/blow the fuse. If you look at the base
                of a real three-way lamp and compare it to a CFL base, you'll
                be able to tell which ones will operate and which ones will
                fail: the bad-based CFLs have their metal outer shell intrude
                into the area where a three-way lamp has the "ring" contact.
                The shell contacts the ring contact in the socket and shorts
                it out."

Aha! here is a link with both points covered, as well as others and they confirm what I read but now can't find.

http://www.aps.com/main/green/choice/choice_4.html

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  It's a case of getting what you pay for. I've seen some CFLs that are "cold" and prone to flickering. I'd only use them for outdoor walkways. But I've got others that are warm (if anything the color is too warm) and flicker free. I've got a old Phillips "Earth Light" that I've had for probably 10 years + by now. No problems. It's my reading light.
                  The ones I have are "daylight" bulbs I bought at a Home Depot. My living room ceiling fan has four sockets, and two 75-watt incandescents used to be great. I've now got the two CFLs in there and it feels like I'm in a hospital waiting room all the time. There is no flicker I can detect; there is just a sickly institutional-feeling light I can't read by. In fact, these CFLs really do save me money, because now I just sit in the dark, so unpleasant is the light in that room.

It sounds like I still have some experimenting to do. If others' testimonies are so glowing (haha!), perhaps there's some hope after all. I am not especially environment-conscious, so I have no moral qualms about going back to what I was using, but if I can do something that will save me money without altering my lifestyle too much, I will.

But you know. Seeing is not a luxury.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Started using them when Ottlites were the only one's you could get at that light bulb store that was on Ward Ave. Almost $20 a pop. Since then the twisted ones came out and was way less expensive. I have replaced all our lights with these including the outside floods. If we had a 3 way lamp, I simply switched the bulb holder out for a single. Easy fix and only a couple of bucks. We don't have dimmers and do use them in the ceiling fans. (only 2, 3 or 4 is way too bright)

Been using them exclusively, now, for almost 10 years and only had 3 burn out. Btw, all CFL bulb packages have caveats about using them with dimmers or 3 way lamps.

What is the hazard of using them in enclosed fixtures? I've used them for years in enclosed ceiling fixtures with no problems. In fact, enclosed flourescent ceiling fixtures have been around for ages using the straight or circle flo. light bulbs. Never, ever heard of any problems with those and it's all basically the same.

I see no problems with HECO advertising their use. How many companies do you know that advertise a product that will use less of what they sell? As for Jade not knowing what she's talking about in those commercials.....she doesn't have to. Like someone already mentioned, she's a paid mouth. Her job is to recite a memorized script. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

They can overheat in enclosed fixtures.

Not a thing wrong with HECO advertising their use, in fact I think it's wise, but....the WAY they try to sell us on them matters a lot, and with these things.....the Jade commercial or commercials? about them are not safe. She asks what would happen if we switch every light in our home to them, and then says how we'd save money, but that isn't all that would or could happen...per the enclosed fixtures and the dimmers, etc. This is downright frightening if every home on island does this and even a third of them don't know about the warnings. Oh, so many times we just grab a lightbulb and reading the package doesn't even come to mind, and then not all the warnings are on the packages, anyway.

Comment

[...]Not a thing wrong with HECO advertising their use, in fact I think it's wise, but....the WAY they try to sell us on them matters a lot, and with these things.....the Jade commercial or commercials? about them are not safe. [...]
                        As others have already mentioned, Jade has nothing to do with it. Your complaint/concern needs to be addressed to the advertiser (HECO) who, in turn, may address the matter with it's advertising agency. There is much collaboration between an advertiser and it's ad agency. The advertiser approves the copy (scripts) prior to production moving forward. Keep in mind, tho', that only a small amount of a story can be told in 30 seconds.

Scriv...I have a light fixture in my bathroom that holds 3 bulbs. The glass covers are copper and white stripe. Currently I use 1 CFL bulb and 2 incandescents. When the fixture is on, the white striped portion of the glass cover surrounding the CFL bulb turns green! I couldn't use flourescent tube lighting in my casting studio because of the overall greenish tint that showed on the video! Flourescent lights do give off a very institutional look!

GM...I wasn't aware that CFLs had various color temps available. Thanks for that info.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          I'm unaware of any hazard in using CFLs. You mis-use them and they'll have a short life. But no hazard I know of.
                          This is the problem. Most people are unaware of the hazards of CFLs. A bit of research shows that EPA has very specific rules regarding the disposal of CFLs as they pose a serious environmental hazard; the mercury can leach out into landfills and poison the soil and drinking water. If you break one, you should leave the area for at least 15 minutes for the fumes to dissipate and never sweep or vacuum the broken bulb and its contents. It should be picked up with duct tape or wet towels and everything disposed of in a sealed plastic bag. For those who aren't aware, mercury exposure poses serious health risks, including permanent nerve and kidney damage.

One thing we should all be doing is recycling them properly and not disposing of them in our regular trash.

This page from EnergyStar has a link to a safety PDF at the bottom which everyone should download and read.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm stockpiling incandescents to sell on the black market when the inevitable ban comes. So all you folks who can't stand CFL light give me a call and I'll make you a deal in a few years.
                          Last edited by glossyp; July 10, 2007, 02:30 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

They can overheat in enclosed fixtures.
                            Karen, if overheating was such a threat, most townhouse/condominiums, schools, office buildings, etc. would not be using them, 24/7, in the common areas in enclosed fixtures, some of them being weather proof....yes? Has there been any documented problems? How'bout a link?

Comment

Sue, I'm sorry if you've misunderstood my posts, in that I am well aware that Jade is just a hired person in the advertisements, I haven't "blamed" her and started my first mention of her with the fact that I respect and actually like her. I've already made complaints elsewhere and contacted KSSK since they play her commercial a lot, and they are the most popular radio station on island, and I actually believe that they care.

Da Rolling eye, I already provided a link, and I assure you that you can google it yourself and many links will come up. Do you mean you want a link of where there's already been a problem? I'll be glad to try to find you one, while I assure you that I've heard of the potential hazards from multiple sources and I doubt all of these sources are all having the same fantasy about it, while nope, I don't personally know anyone that's had a problem, and have not yet searched for reports of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X