Aloha and thank you--a future HI resident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha and thank you--a future HI resident

Aloha! I'm Caroline from the LA area and am moving to Hawaii this August! My husband has a new job in Honolulu. I've learned so much "lurking" here that I thought it was time to join and say a big mahalo to you all!

We just closed on selling our house here so we're another step nearer. Now we're focused on getting rid of the way too much stuff we've accumulated to cut down on shipping costs.

I'm very grateful to everyone on this board for all the helpful information and ideas!

Re: Aloha and thank you--a future HI resident

Aloha popoki...Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com!! How did you get your Screen Name?

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by popoki View Post
      Aloha! I'm Caroline from the LA area and am moving to Hawaii this August! My husband has a new job in Honolulu. I've learned so much "lurking" here that I thought it was time to join and say a big mahalo to you all!

We just closed on selling our house here so we're another step nearer. Now we're focused on getting rid of the way too much stuff we've accumulated to cut down on shipping costs.

I'm very grateful to everyone on this board for all the helpful information and ideas!
      Aloha Popoki ~ I will be moving around the same time (from SF), having garage sale number two this week-end. Feels great to lighten the load and live life with a more "minimalist" philosophy. Are you shipping through Matson? I’m shipping my car with them but all the rest, (for the most part books and art) are going good old us mail ~ thanks to information I got from HT. Welcome to HT.
      Last edited by greentara; July 10, 2007, 04:07 PM. Reason: Content
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Aloha, Auntie Lynn!

I volunteered at the shelter here in California and visited the shelter in Honolulu on our last visit , hoping to volunteer there when I arrive in August. I saw the book "Poi Dogs and Popoki" and thought it was appropriate. Thank you for the welcome!

Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
          Aloha Popoki ~ I will be moving around the same time (from SF), having garage sale number two this week-end. Feels great to lighten the load and live life with a more "minimalist" philosophy. Are you shipping through Matson? I’m shipping my car with them but all the rest, (for the most part books and art) are going good old us mail ~ thanks to information I got from HT. Welcome to HT.
          We must be on the same schedule! Our second garage sale is this Saturday. I'm also looking forward to lightening the load--it seems to free me mentally as well as financially. We're shipping our cars through Horizon, but about half of our furniture is going in a container. We looked into furniture prices in Oahu and got major sticker shock--we bought ours direct from the outlets in North Carolina when we lived there 6 years ago. Books are going US mail--as you said, a tip picked up from these boards!

Comment

We must be on the same schedule! Our second garage sale is this Saturday. I'm also looking forward to lightening the load--it seems to free me mentally as well as financially. We're shipping our cars through Horizon, but about half of our furniture is going in a container. We looked into furniture prices in Oahu and got major sticker shock--we bought ours direct from the outlets in North Carolina when we lived there 6 years ago. Books are going US mail--as you said, a tip picked up from these boards!
            Totally funny about the garage sales...!!! I decided to keep my home in SF and the place in Kauai is furnished so I don’t really HAVE to sell stuff but it feels so great to lighten the load. I'm trying to "live in the moment" but I am just counting the days...I have been planning this move for almost a year.
            "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Aloha, Auntie Lynn!

I volunteered at the shelter here in California and visited the shelter in Honolulu on our last visit , hoping to volunteer there when I arrive in August. I saw the book "Poi Dogs and Popoki" and thought it was appropriate. Thank you for the welcome!

Caroline
              Right on!!! I like you already. A fellow volunteer!! I volunteer to feed the hungry and the homeless at KauKau every Saturday except the last. We have a Big Problem here in Hawai'i nei. Mahalo for helping our people.

Anytime you need help or anything PM me.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Welcome to HT, Popoki -- glad you came out of 'lurker' mode!
                What line of work are you and your husband in? And do you already know where you'll be living?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  Welcome to HT, Popoki -- glad you came out of 'lurker' mode!
                  What line of work are you and your husband in? And do you already know where you'll be living?
                  Thank you for the welcome, LikaNui! Both my husband and I teach, although I have not taught for several years now. We are renting a house over in Hawaii Kai for a while to give us some time to get familiar with neighborhoods on the island. Just found out today that our shipment might take as many as 4 weeks to arrive, so we could be camping for a little while.

Comment

Welcome from another new person!

Comment

Welcome to HT!
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Welcome Popoki! and thanks for thinking about moving here - we need more teachers!!
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads Popoki! Glad to have you here. I am a teacher too. I teach preschool children. What grade levels do you and your husband teach? Love to hear from you.
                          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            Welcome Popoki! and thanks for thinking about moving here - we need more teachers!!
                            Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                            Welcome to HT!
                            Originally posted by StephS View Post
                            Welcome from another new person!
                            Originally posted by achow View Post
                            Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads Popoki! Glad to have you here. I am a teacher too. I teach preschool children. What grade levels do you and your husband teach? Love to hear from you.
                            Thank you all so much for your very kind and warm welcome!

AChow--my husband and I are experienced at the high school and college levels. I am also experienced at the middle school level, although I'm afraid it is not my strength. My husband's new position involves teaching at the 11th and 12th grade levels. I'm going to start out subbing as I won't be arriving until after the school year starts.
                            How is teaching preschool? I imagine it must be a lot of fun spending time with young children, if a bit exhausting!

Comment

Thank you all so much for your very kind and warm welcome!

AChow--my husband and I are experienced at the high school and college levels. I am also experienced at the middle school level, although I'm afraid it is not my strength. My husband's new position involves teaching at the 11th and 12th grade levels. I'm going to start out subbing as I won't be arriving until after the school year starts.
                              How is teaching preschool? I imagine it must be a lot of fun spending time with young children, if a bit exhausting!
                              Teaching preschool is a lot of fun but you have to use most of your time and energy, especially with young children and it can be exhausting at times. Are you are on O'ahu yet?
                              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Working...
                              X