Food shopping - reading the label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food shopping - reading the label

Inspired by the Another reason to eat locally grown food thread I figured a poll might give an idea what a HawaiiThread user would look at when buying food at the supermarket.

The poll is set for multiple choice and is anonymous.
    ingredients
    21.33%
    nutritional information
    20.00%
    expiration date
    29.33%
    place of origin
    8.00%
    preperation instructions
    13.33%
    other
    8.00%
    none of the above
    0.00%
    no opinion on this subject
    0.00%

Re: Food shopping - reading the label

Good choices for this poll.............and interesting types of responses so far.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hrrrrrmph! It wouldn't let me vote, telling me I'd already voted. I feel so slighted, so insignificant; unworthy, invisible...

I've been reading labels for 38 years, fer crissakes. Lemme VOTE!

Comment

Helen, I don't like your poll questions.
        Please note the wink. I actually do like it, but you might've added "price tag" in there.
        Probably would've gotten the most votes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          but you might've added "price tag" in there.
          That would be the function of the "other" choice in the poll.

Comment

Frankly, if I am going to eat something prepared, I don't want to know what is in it. I am well aware that all prepared food has stuff in it I shouldn't eat. I try to eat healthy - doesn't always work out that way (as I sit here munching on Reese's Pieces) but I try. And if I'm going to eat Reese's Pieces or a hot dog - I'd rather remain blissfully ignorant. I also don't care where it came from. If I'm going to eat a steak, I'd rather think it magically appeared on the supermarket shelf. I certainly don't want to think about the fact that it was once a living, breathing animal. As far as what country it came from? Heck, sometimes I seek out stuff from other countries - especially China. They got good food, some of my favorite cusine

Comment

you might've added "price tag" in there.
              Probably would've gotten the most votes.
              While that's not part of the product label, I agree. Most folks look at the PRICE before any other consideration, whether it be food or anything else.

I'd say, after the price tag, the very next thing my brain looks for is the BRAND.

Of course, those with health issues such as diabetes MUST read NUTRITION FACTS on food labels.

I'm fortunate to (still) be healthy enough that sodium or sugar issues aren't a concern. Although in the long run, it always is for everyone. I most often read nutrition facts when buying ready-to-heat meals. If it exceeds 15-20 grams of fat per serving, I (in most cases) won't buy it. Unless the PICTURE looks REALLY good.

Case in point, one of those Jimmy Dean sausage breakfast sandwiches at Costco contains 28 grams of fat and over 800mg of sodium. OUCH. NO good looking label can convince to buy that.

I don't need a label to tell me that fresh vegetables, fruit and fish are good for me.

You ever read the label of shampoo, soap or other hygiene product while on the toilet? I do that when there's nothing else to "concentrate" on in the bathroom. If there's one thing I learned by that, is that most shampoos are made with Sodium Laureth Sulfate.

I also STILL enjoy reading the ENTIRE cereal box while eating some.

Scrivener looks at bread twist tie colors.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                If it exceeds 15-20 grams of fat per serving, I (in most cases) won't buy it.
                I had to smile when I read this. Most nutritionists recommend 6g of fat or less per serving, so 15g-20g is pretty generous.

Comment

You ever read the label of shampoo, soap or other hygiene product while on the toilet? I do that when there's nothing else to "concentrate" on in the bathroom. If there's one thing I learned by that, is that most shampoos are made with Sodium Laureth Sulfate.
                  Gee, the first thing you should learn from that is that you need to install a magazine rack by the toilet.

Comment

After the big pet food recall, I've slowly started to become more and more aware (or paranoid depending on how ya look at it ) about my food and what goes into my body - what's in it, where it's from, how it was grown/manufactured, what it does to my body/how it makes me feel etc. I guess the day my mom told me our cat died after he'd been eating one of the recalled foods and then that list of rejected food from China came out, it made me realize that I had to start caring...even if it was just a lil bit.

I've also been slowly weeding out things in the cupboards - like moving things I'd like to get rid of to the front so my husband will eat them in a more timely manner. I dont necessarily want to throw them away, but I'm not going to replace them when they're gone. I've also filled up our food bank bin at work several times with items we just don't need to be eating. When I go shopping now, I usually go for the organic/natural version of some of our favorites or try to choose brands that don't use gm/ge ingredients. I also buy a lot more raw foods and visit famers' markets more often now. (I gave up BK's cheesy tots )

Price definitely is a factor for me because a lot of the things I'm picking up aren't exactly cheaper than what I was eating/using before. But, there are about 3 dozen things I've stopped purchasing entirely, which has saved me about $100 or so a month, so I'm all right with spending a few extra dollars here or there on something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
                      [...]I guess the day my mom told me our cat died after he'd been eating one of the recalled foods[...]
                      Oh man, Kelly, that truly sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Comment

Gee, the first thing you should learn from that is that you need to install a magazine rack by the toilet.
                        That's ... too ... funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          That's ... too ... funny.
                          It's even more funny to think that one could be in the frame of mind to actually think ingredients for a bar of soap can actually be interesting at that particular moment in time. Or let alone any magazine article that, otherwise, would be boring.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Sometimes it's really better not to think about it.

It’s like sitting at the breakfast table
                            and it’s early in the morning and you’re not quite awake
                            and you’re just sitting there eating cereal and sort of staring at the writing on the box
                            not reading it exactly -- just more or less looking at the words
                            and suddenly for some reason you snap to attention and you realize that
                            what you’re reading is what you’re eating
                            but by then it’s much too late.

(Laurie Anderson)

Comment

Re: killing time on the potty

It's even more funny to think that one could be in the frame of mind to actually think ingredients for a bar of soap can actually be interesting at that particular moment in time.
                              Indeed. A better plan would be to kill the time by tearing off a few squares of TP and practice the ancient art of origami, ya think?

Comment

Working...
                              X