Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Tallest Building

Dubai tower is now 'world's tallest'

When completed in 2008, the Burj Dubai will stand at 1680 feet, beating the current tallest structure, Taiwan's Tapei 101, which now scrapes the sky at 1,667 feet.

The Burj Dubai will have more than 160 floors, 56 elevators, luxury apartments, boutiques, swimming pools, spas, exclusive corporate suites, Italian fashion designer Giorgio Armani's first hotel, and a 124th floor observation platform.

Man oh man.. 56 elevators?! That's more than the building I live in has floors!

What do you think of mega-tall structures? Good idea or bad? Have you ever visited, worked or lived in a building taller than 100 stories?

When developers went to work on a new World Trade Center, analysts were reluctant on a mega-height design primarily due to it becoming retargeted by terrorists. Still, when land is scarce such as in New York city, that's really the only way to go... up.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: World's Tallest Building

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    What do you think of mega-tall structures? Good idea or bad? Have you ever visited, worked or lived in a building taller than 100 stories?
    Kind of netural about mega-tall structures. And I suspect that it might be a good idea in one location but it might be a bad idea if the same structure was to be built in another part of the world. Never visited, worked or lived in a building taller than 100 stories. For me it might be visited a 35 story building, worked in a 6 story building and lived in a 27 story building.

Comment

Fantastic place to visit, wouldn't live there or spend eight hours of every day in one. Wow, what an experience to spend an hour there. I'd feel like having church.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

We plan on going to the Burj Al Arab in 08/early 09. Dubai has become a playground for the rich(though I am far from, just want to go). Between the indoor ski slope, and the unique and stunning buildings, it is really impressive to me.

In regards to the tower, very impressive structure, but less then admirable work conditions. Anyone catch the 20/20 special on it? Kind of left me hanging in the middle, but all technology and great feats of engineering are built on the backs of someone/thing...

China and Japan have plans of super huge building complexes that will be self contained super cities. In this day and age, the only way to go is up. Space is at a premium and developers realize it. I also feel if space is at such a premium, I would rather see it go up, then out, eating up more natural resources and beauty.

I heard his the Sheik of Dubai's next venture was a skyscraper that rotates...not just the top, the WHOLE thing.
        Last edited by TATTRAT; July 22, 2007, 05:51 PM.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
          [...]Anyone catch the 20/20 special on it?[...]
          IIRC, Matt Lauer reported from that area and building during his last "Where In the World is Matt Lauer" trek. Then, again, I had 2 glasses of wine at dinner so maybe Matt was still on the Big Island!

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            China and Japan have plans of super huge building complexes that will be self contained super cities.
            meh. arcologies?

been there, done that...

Comment

Working...
            X