No announcement yet.

Wiped Out - No More Native Hawaiians on the World Championship Tour of Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiped Out - No More Native Hawaiians on the World Championship Tour of Surfing

http://freesurfmagazine.com/maincont...id=2&Itemid=80
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Wiped Out - No More Native Hawaiians on the World Championship Tour of Surfing

Ah, maybe the Hawaiian bruddahs gotta ask for advice and help from sistahs like Melanie Bartels, Crystal Dzigas, and Kelia Moniz who are rippin' it in the women's circuit.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Wiped Out - No More Native Hawaiians on the World Championship Tour of Surfing

Show me any poor kid on the Big Island who's got the skills to be a true competitor, and I, along with several others I know, would pony up the kala, the boards, the plane tix, etc, etc.

If you TRULY good, and you want it bad enough, just ask. Plenty nice folks around who would help out. Remember, after all, this is Hawaii.

An old Republican once told me, "Everything's a write-off, so giving is better than paying taxes."
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Good read thanks. I like this quote from Sunny Garcia... "“Hawai‘i puts out the best surfers bar none, but if you want that glory then you got to fight for it,”

“Because if you sit in Hawai‘i and wait for something to fall in your lap, the only thing that’s gonna fall is rain.”

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
          Good read thanks. I like this quote from Sunny Garcia... "“Hawai‘i puts out the best surfers bar none, but if you want that glory then you got to fight for it,”

“Because if you sit in Hawai‘i and wait for something to fall in your lap, the only thing that’s gonna fall is rain.”
          Sunny's quote is true but I think the real truth of the matter is that many Hawaiians don't care about the glory asscoiated with being an ASP touring pro. Many of us are perfectly content surfing the best waves on the planet in our own backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
            Sunny's quote is true but I think the real truth of the matter is that many Hawaiians don't care about the glory asscoiated with being an ASP touring pro. Many of us are perfectly content surfing the best waves on the planet in our own backyard.
            Do you find the numbers of youngsters coming into the "sport" to be steady over the years. I'm just wondering if other pursuits are competing for their time these days.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
              Hell yeah, and the best ones (of blood or otherwise) are UNDERGROUND anyway, and wouldn't really care to adjust their surfing and attitude to that of the contest format.

But...it would be nice to have NSSA in more schools here.
              Sing with me, everyone!
              "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
              like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
              The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
              http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                I'm just wondering if other pursuits are competing for their time these days.
                One of those pursuits involves pyrex...and it's affecting beach rats of all ethnicities. Greens may make some lazy, but even after time, not crazy. Better to be temporarily lazy than to become prehistoric, anywayz. Times have changed for the worse in beach rat life.

And this is coming from experience/personal relationships, not
                generalizations

But like timkona said, motivation is the key (along with some sacrifice.) Many of these kids have the power to put themselves in positive environments, at least during some parts of their day...and if they set the ASP goal, they may be able to get financial funding to apply towards travel, etc.
                Last edited by DKP; July 26, 2007, 03:31 PM.
                Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                  One of those pursuits involves pyrex...and it's affecting beach rats of all ethnicities. Greens may make some lazy, but even after time, not crazy. Better to be temporarily lazy than to become prehistoric, anywayz. Times have changed for the worse in beach rat life.
                  Glad you could say that as I wouldn't dare here. Care to play the bonus round? Is the rampant childhood obesity factoring in these days?
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                    Is the rampant childhood obesity factoring in these days?
                    In my beach rat days, I couldn't keep the pounds ON (I was kind of underweight and am now still a little below average for my height), even with the 'enhancements'
                    Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

it's what you put into it. The surfing tour is a joke in my opinion, and always has been. But for some kids it's the only way to make an income from something they love. I mean isn't that what we all want in a perfect world?

But like any sport only the upper, upper tier will be able to make a comfortable living from surfing. To be in contest you gotta have special mentality. You pretty much have to be a jerk 24/7! For people like Mr. Garcia that's easy..

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                        it's what you put into it. [...] To be in contest you gotta have special mentality. You pretty much have to be a jerk 24/7![...]
                        Why is that, BB? Can't someone have talent and drive and NOT be a jerk? That's probably a naive question but I believe one does not have to be a jerk 24/7 to get ahead.

Comment

I agree with you tutusue.. and most of the pros Ive met, hawaiians and haoles.. theyre nice and not jerks.. maybe youve just met the wrong person BB.

And someone pointed out that many dont crave to be famous and tour.. they just enjoy catchin the waves on their own backyards.. And I think its harder to become a pro these days than it was back in the days.. so maybe thats one of the reasons...

Comment

Working...
                          X