Hillary Clinton letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary Clinton letters

Letters she wrote to an old college friend are news. They are a fascinating read and peek into her psyche and heart. She called herself a "misanthrope" a hater of mankind. She went from Republican to Democrat during their friendship and this, too is exhibited in her letters. Here's a link to what we will be hearing a lot more about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/us...gewanted=print

PS, I wondered if it was right for this dude to release these letters, but shortly after it hit me that nothing in this world is real anymore, or hardly so when it comes to politics. She may have asked him to do so cuz she may like how it paints here and above all, any type of publicity is better than being ignored. I wonder~
    Last edited by Karen; July 28, 2007, 12:35 PM.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Re: Hillary Clinton letters

So what? It's an "interesting" historical piece, but has very little to do with the Hillary Rodham Clinton of today. Many women who went to college during the Vietnam era had the same types of angst, and certainly wrote about it in similar ways, especially if one went to an Ivy League school, where there certainly would have been cultural clashes between the old and conservative ways and the newer, more liberal thinking of the times.

To put any more importance to these revelations other than as snapshots of a future Presidential candidate is like saying that any letters to penpals we might have written when we were in high school were barometers of the people we have become as adults.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      [...] is like saying that any letters to penpals we might have written when we were in high school were barometers of the people we have become as adults.[...]
      I don't think that's impossible.

Comment

A Republican in Democrat's clothing. I'm cracking up. Goof ball libs honestly think she is the best choice.

Just goes to show you the fundamentally flawed thinking processes that is the root of liberalism and Democrat Politics. ROFLMFAO
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Looks like a pretty typical college-age person's musings on who they are and what they want to be - nothing stunning or revelatory about the letters quoted. They would mean little-to-nothing, if the writer hadn't become famous.

Oh - as most of you know, I am pretty far to the left in my beliefs and actions. My parents were Republicans, and I was once registered as such myself. Then I paid attention, rather than just following in parental footsteps. (My mother is no longer registered GOP, either.) Sounds like Ms. Rodham went through a similar transition. I also know many people who came from leftie families but who are now Republicans.

Like there's really that big a difference between the parties any more.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I don't think that's impossible.
            The particular period of time that these letters were written was during the Vietnam war era and the college that Hillary attended was Wellesley, which at that time was a women's college (it is now co-ed), so she was immersed in tea parties and socials, white gloves and blue blazers, matching cardigan sets and pearls and having friends who were desperately trying to catch the eye of some young Harvard stud across the way to "marry up" to and settle into the life of a wife and mother. Now if she had attended Reed or Oberlin or Antioch, then she really would have fit in with her way of thinking and dressing at that age.

When I look at the poetry I used to write when I was about Hillary's age in college, I have to shake my head in disbelief, because really, truly, it sounds like someone else wrote it.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
              PS, I wondered if it was right for this dude to release these letters, but shortly after it hit me that nothing in this world is real anymore, or hardly so when it comes to politics. She may have asked him to do so cuz she may like how it paints here and above all, any type of publicity is better than being ignored. I wonder~

whether these letters had surfaced or not, it's a no-brainer that with her being a new york senator who sits on five committees including the committee on armed services, a former first lady, and one of the top three likely candidates to get the democrat nomination for POTUS, hillary is as far as you can get away from ever "being ignored." besides, the article clearly states the recipient of the letters initially released them in 1999 to the author of "hillary's choice" (not the most pro-clinton book, btw), and therefore they're highly unlikely to have "come out" because of any of hillary's machinations. or did you not read that part?

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              A Republican in Democrat's clothing. I'm cracking up. Goof ball libs honestly think she is the best choice.

Just goes to show you the fundamentally flawed thinking processes that is the root of liberalism and Democrat Politics. ROFLMFAO
              and yet again your comment shows nothing but the flaws in your cognitive and reading comprehension skills, if all you got from the article is that hillary is a "republican in democrat's clothing." if that's not what you meant to say, tk, then you need to develop better writing skills before you go on another one of your multitudinous "oops, let me clumsily backpedal with my foot in my mouth" or "darnit...let me hide & not respond for a while so maybe they'll forget i brainlessly shot my mouth off again" moments.
              Last edited by cynsaligia; July 29, 2007, 06:23 PM.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                When I look at the poetry I used to write when I was about Hillary's age in college, I have to shake my head in disbelief, because really, truly, it sounds like someone else wrote it.
                You still have some of that? You crazy, girl.

I came across all of my attempts at "poetry" and "songwriting" from that era many years ago - and destroyed it. The world is better for not having been exposed to that.

(Not saying yours would be bad, mind you, Miulang. But my poetry would certainly give the Vogons something to be disturbed by.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

I came across all of my attempts at "poetry" and "songwriting" from that era many years ago - and destroyed it. The world is better for not having been exposed to that.

(Not saying yours would be bad, mind you, Miulang. But my poetry would certainly give the Vogons something to be disturbed by.)
                  I'll bet we all have poetry, songs, stories we wrote in younger days that would have us shaking our heads in disbelief. Isn't that a part of growing up?

Comment

I find the letters interesting, a definite study into the psyche of a developing mind. Whether or not they reflect her present day views is up in the air. We have all written things in the past that, if given a second read now, we would think "Wow did I really write that?"

As for Hillary herself... I consider myself independent in terms of politics, I am conservative on some issues and liberal on others based upon the facts of the topic, but for me there is "left wing" and there is "off the wing entirely". Sometimes I think Hilary is "off the wing".

But what do I know, I'm just a young kid :P
                    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                      I'll bet we all have poetry, songs, stories we wrote in younger days that would have us shaking our heads in disbelief. Isn't that a part of growing up?
                      Perhaps so. I'm just glad when the good ones stay with it. I'm also glad that I recognized I was not in that category.

Comment

As Winston Churchill (supposedly) said: "Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

And Robert Louis Stevenson: "To hold the same views at forty as we held at twenty is to have been stupefied for a score of years, and take rank, not as a prophet, but as an unteachable brat, well birched and none the wiser."

It would be easier to be conservative these days if the exemplars of that persuasion were less hypcritical, or at least more competant at their jobs.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Heh. Unfortunately, some of my poetry has been preserved for posterity in an anthology that was sold at the City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco And no, I wasn't the one who paid to have the anthology published!

Miulang

Comment

Okay Ericncyn, as I bite the hook cuz the bait looks too yummy, answer me this.

If libs think the war against lawlessness is not worthy for some reason, then why is it they support Hillary Clinton, who voted for it, and continues to support it.

There is certainly something here that I don't understand, or that you won't acknowledge.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              Okay Ericncyn, as I bite the hook cuz the bait looks too yummy, answer me this.

If libs think the war against lawlessness is not worthy for some reason, then why is it they support Hillary Clinton, who voted for it, and continues to support it.

There is certainly something here that I don't understand, or that you won't acknowledge.
                              BTW, Tim, as of the YouTube debates, Hillary is no longer a liberal. She calls herself a "progressive".

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X