A teacher's love...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A teacher's love...

I received a number of inquiries from my Craigslist ad for 2 bookcases. The only follow thru came from a very, very cute, tattooed, young, haole woman...probably mid-20s, max. Quite possibly she was furnishing her first apt., I thought. She paid half and said she'd come by this week-end with a truck and a friend. And she did. This morning. A truck and 4 friends!

I met her in the building's basement to lead her thru the secured doors and up the elevator. She handed me the balance she owed. My curiosity got the best of me. I told her my history with the bookcases and that I hoped they would serve her as well as they'd served me. She insisted they would. She's an elementary school teacher in Kalihi and wanted attractive shelves to fill with books for her classroom's own library. It was also important that her students be able to reach the tallest shelf, she said. I asked if she had to pay for them or if she would be reimbursed by the school. She said the school had old, beat up bookcases she could use but she felt something nicer would help her students to take pride in their library and, therefore, encourage more reading. And, it was an out of pocket expense for her.

Confunnit...how in the world does a seller of 2 very old yet well maintained bookcases take money from a young teacher who is personally funding something so important as fostering the joy of reading in her students? I quickly figured out what I would do but, dang, I was (and still am) so impressed.

She had some really beautiful tattoos, too!

Re: A teacher's love...

You are such an Angel, Sue! It is soo imperative that our young teachers get support from the community. What a great example. It will serve so many children, and it reassures the teacher.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Nah, LG...not an angel. Trust me! I based my decision on the fact that the school would provide bookcases but the teacher wanted something more attractive. The new bookcases became a 'want', not a 'need' but I liked her reason. I decided to give back the balance she'd just given me. Had the school not been able to provide any bookcases I would've returned her deposit, too. Fortunately, the selling price of the 2 items was manini to begin with.

Comment

Tutusue..you too are truly an angel....BTW, what grade does that teacher in Kalihi teach? I and my sister have keiki aged books....our keiki are teens now...maybe if they are age appropriate for that teacher we can drop them off at her school...can you find out? These books have only been sitting here on our shelves collecting dust....aloha!

Comment

Check you PMs, Ms Aloha Nui!

Comment

I might have some books to donate. I'd like to know what grade she teaches as well.

Comment

I just received the following info from the teacher:
              "thanks for thinking of me! sure, i love getting new books for my students. I teach seventh and eighth graders but their reading ability ranges between second grade level to eighth grade level. I work at kalakaua middle school, ..."

Hmmm...and I thought I heard "elementary". Dang tutu ears!

If it's easier to drop the books off in Kakaako, PM me and I'll give you the address. There's free parking, too! I'll make sure Caitlin gets the books. Or, if you prefer to drop them off at the school, that's fine, too. Again, PM me for more info.

Big mahalos!

Comment

Working...
              X