Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self Storage Suggestions in Honolulu, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Storage Suggestions in Honolulu, Anyone?

i'm about to be guilty of using something i detest as a sign of our overly consumerist society--self-storage. for the last two of six years, i've been living month-to-month at the condo i rent and have been dreading the day when i'll get the call or email that i'll hafta move. well, i got the call this weekend, but instead of my landlord saying they're gonna sell (as many condo owners have been lately), they're actually moving in due to familial/health reasons.

which brings me to this...can anyone make recommendations re self-storage facilities? after a huge purging via sales/donation/trash of accumulated things, i'll be storing mostly furniture, books, dishes--that kinda stuff--for about three to six months (hope that's as long as it'll be for...*sigh*). of course i'll check on the better business bureau of hawaii website, but i'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence if any of you can share.

keep in mind, i'd like the storage place to be in town if possible. i have to store some winter clothes there for my trips to portland and vegas, etc. and i'd like them fairly accessible.

many, many thanks in advance.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: Self Storage Suggestions in Honolulu, Anyone?

I've used Public Storage once or twice before in my college days. I never really had any problems with Public Storage and they have this new facility on Kapiolani across from McKinley HS I believe. They usually have a first month's special and some promotions depend on the size of storage you rent. Just make sure you get yourself some solid padlocks.

Comment

There's a storage place where the old Ron's Performance Parts shop used to be near the airport.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I strongly believe that self storage in Hawaii has less to do with consumerism and more to do with housing costs. Hence, the plethora of current construction. I've had a self storage unit for at least 12 years. It's the "spare room"; a room that costs too much to rent or buy. It holds 7 years worth of taxes, holiday decorations, luggage, anything that's not used on a monthly basis. That $95./mo. allows me to keep my office and home square footage to a minimum. I honestly don't believe I could buy a condo and rent an office, each with a spare room, that would only cost an extra $47.50/mo each.

My 'locker' is at AAAAA in Kapolei which doesn't help you, ericncyn. Just make sure the lockers are of steel construction to avoid termites. Air conditioning may or may not be an issue for you. Do you need a locker on the ground floor or is schlepping up and down an elevator ok with you? Will you need 24 hour access? A/C and ground floor tend to cost more.

Anyway, those are just a few things to think about...not to mention the monthly rental!

Please keep us updated on what you find in town.

Comment

I have a locker at StorQuest on Kawaiahao street. The rates seem reasonable. Of course right after I moved in a whole flock of new storage places opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            I have a locker at StorQuest on Kawaiahao street. The rates seem reasonable. Of course right after I moved in a whole flock of new storage places opened up.
            A curiosity question, GG. Has StorQuest upgraded to steel lockers or are they still all wood? I had a locker there before they became StorQuest. Can't remember what the name was at that time (mid 90s). Anyway, I left because of not being able to control the termites.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              A curiosity question, GG. Has StorQuest upgraded to steel lockers or are they still all wood?
              I think they have steel frames, but they are mostly wood.

Comment

If you have no problem with it, I'll see if my I could store it under my parents house 4 dirt cheap. If you triple plastic bag (or just use thicker plastic covering), the items should be fine as we have no rats and just a few roaches down there. It's a 100% weather proof area...pm me if interested. We have the space but I still need the approval, so don't get your hopes up yet. I could find out by Friday.
                Sing with me, everyone!
                "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                  If you have no problem with it, I'll see if my I could store it under my parents house 4 dirt cheap. If you triple plastic bag (or just use thicker plastic covering), the items should be fine as we have no rats and just a few roaches down there. It's a 100% weather proof area...pm me if interested. We have the space but I still need the approval, so don't get your hopes up yet. I could find out by Friday.

thanks very much for the gracious offer! i just found out last night that a friend of mine is moving out of her apartment and she will need storage as well, so we're going into it together.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I strongly believe that self storage in Hawaii has less to do with consumerism and more to do with housing costs. Hence, the plethora of current construction. I've had a self storage unit for at least 12 years. It's the "spare room"; a room that costs too much to rent or buy. It holds 7 years worth of taxes, holiday decorations, luggage, anything that's not used on a monthly basis. That $95./mo. allows me to keep my office and home square footage to a minimum. I honestly don't believe I could buy a condo and rent an office, each with a spare room, that would only cost an extra $47.50/mo each.

My 'locker' is at AAAAA in Kapolei which doesn't help you, ericncyn. Just make sure the lockers are of steel construction to avoid termites. Air conditioning may or may not be an issue for you. Do you need a locker on the ground floor or is schlepping up and down an elevator ok with you? Will you need 24 hour access? A/C and ground floor tend to cost more.

Anyway, those are just a few things to think about...not to mention the monthly rental!

Please keep us updated on what you find in town.

yes, tutusue, i agree that a lot of people use self-storage bcs they can't afford to live in a place that has adequate storage for just the items you mention. however, i do know quite a number of people who keep buying clothes, knick-knacks and what-have-yous as if it will fill some inadequacy and stuff said things in storage. as for the proliferation of storage facilities, a lot of it has to do with the fact mainland storage companies had discovered hawaii had an average of 1 square foot of storage per person, whereas the mainland industry average square footage per person is about four square feet. it will be interesting to see how things change after about ten years or so if some companies are not as successful as they hope to be. i mean, what can you do to convert a building intended for storage use once the business has failed, into something more profitable? is your only choice to tear it down?
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                    [...]yes, tutusue, i agree that a lot of people use self-storage bcs they can't afford to live in a place that has adequate storage for just the items you mention. however, i do know quite a number of people who keep buying clothes, knick-knacks and what-have-yous as if it will fill some inadequacy and stuff said things in storage. as for the proliferation of storage facilities, a lot of it has to do with the fact mainland storage companies had discovered hawaii had an average of 1 square foot of storage per person, whereas the mainland industry average square footage per person is about four square feet. it will be interesting to see how things change after about ten years or so if some companies are not as successful as they hope to be. i mean, what can you do to convert a building intended for storage use once the business has failed, into something more profitable? is your only choice to tear it down?
                    Ah, didn't mean to suggest that it was mostly high housing costs and little consumerism. Yes, consumerism does factor into the equation. I just think that Hawaii's high housing costs are helping to fuel the self storage industry. I don't know whether it's a precursor of what's to come but I just received a letter from my storage company of many years, 5A, that it's "now a part of Extra Space Storage". If my rent goes up I'll be looking for another space. There are a few consumerism contents in my locker! I have 2 large, plastic bins with Looney Tunes memorabilia that friends graciously bought as a surprise for me during their many flea market/garage sale/antique store treks around the southeast. I really don't like keeping them in storage but there's just no room anywhere else and it would be inappropriate to dispose of them. Ditto for all of the memorabilia from my parents home after they passed away. Little by little all memorabilia will be passed on to my kids and grandkids but it takes a corner of a storage locker to do that!

What's amazing to me is the SS building in Hawaii Kai that's waterfront!!! I just don't get that 'cept that profitability projections musta been good and they offer other services! But what a waste of waterfront property!

I can only guess as to building reuse potential for a failed SS business. It's, in essence, a warehouse with an office and restrooms and, in some cases, an apartment for the manager. The lockers, I assume, can be somewhat easily removed and the entire space demised to a new tenant or owners specifications.

Just some rambling thoughts on this lazy Saturday morning!

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                      it will be interesting to see how things change after about ten years or so if some companies are not as successful as they hope to be. i mean, what can you do to convert a building intended for storage use once the business has failed, into something more profitable? is your only choice to tear it down?
                      Convert them to student dorm rooms? The warehouse layout is perfect for move-in and move-out days.

Comment

Working...
                      X