Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

This book is not great literature, but I have not met a teenage girl yet who did not absolutely love this book. If you have a teen girl or even a boy who used to love reading but hasn't read for leisure in a long time, buy them this book. Once they read it, they will become obsessed with getting the 2nd and 3rd book in the series. The 3rd in the series was just released this week.

The background on how this author came to write this book is fascinating.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Re: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Okay, no one commented on this thread, so I'm wondering if anyone in Hawaii has read this bestseller? If not, I just have to make another pitch for it. Here's the deal: if you're between the ages of 12 and 40, and you're not a literary snob, and you enjoy a compelling, romantic story, I can almost guarantee you will love this book. Twilight is now the first in a trilogy, and the 4th book is due out next Fall. Also, they are making a movie out of this first book, Twilight. It will star Kristen Stewart (from Panic Room, In the Land of Women, Into the Wild) and Robert Pattinson (he played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter/GOF).

Anyway, if you don't believe how good this book is, check out the reviews at Amazon.com.

The End.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Mahalo, U'ilani. I appreciate your plug and will add it to my next bookstore fix.

pax

Comment

I will check it out as well. I got the Golden Compass and its two companion books for Kid 1 and she is enjoying them; I will begin reading them when she finishes the first book. She raced through the Harry Potter books, so I thought she might enjoy these as well. She does. She's only 8, so this particular book might not be appropriate for her yet, but I'll read it myself and then decide when she'd be ready for it.
        Mahalo!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I've read all three books and enjoyed them. Thanks for the heads up that there's a fourth on the way

Comment

I bought Twilight on Thursday and both teen daughters have finished reading it, insisting on going to Borders today to get the 2nd book. Thanks for the rec. Add two more to your list of teens who absolutely love this book.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              I bought Twilight on Thursday and both teen daughters have finished reading it, insisting on going to Borders today to get the 2nd book. Thanks for the rec. Add two more to your list of teens who absolutely love this book.
              Oh, I'm glad they loved it!
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

On a tangent, I must say how much I love your AQ quote. It hits on one of my peeves with all of those "home redesign" shows that go over the top in their kitsching up a home, and yet never treat a family (nor audience) to see a serious wall dedicated to bookshelves.

If *I* ever had such an opportunity, you betcha I would be bawling my eyes out at how much I have always wanted my own Library of Congress, and how living in the boonies requires we go sometimes without dinners just so that we can keep the house stocked with books.

*sniffle* I've always want everything to be cataloged, Dewey Decimal style, but could never afford it. *sniffle*

pax

Comment

I'm with you on the bookshelf lust--not so much on the Dewey Decimal system, though. Too many bad memories of thumbing through the little cardselves, having to jot down the numbers/letters.

My dream is for Extreme Makeover Home edition to build me an extension to my house for a library. It would be floor to ceiling, two-story, mahogany bookshelves, a ladder that slides along a railing to get to the top shelves. I think I'm describing the one in the school library in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

that sounds delish! I could so go for something like that, or white-washed floor-ceiling wood, with one wall dedicated windowpane overlooking the forest and taking in all of the sunlight (I know this is bad for books, so it must have a good-quality shade to draw up/down. The surrounding decor should be beachy, tropical-woodsy, soothing and quiet. In other words, the kind of library Johnny Lingo would have.

pax

Comment

and her 4th book in the series, Breaking Dawn, is almost here~

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Dawn-...3065999&sr=1-1

and a new book that is separate from the series, The Host: A Novel:

http://www.amazon.com/Host-Novel-Ste...3066323&sr=1-6

Comment

Here are some pictures of the cast for the upcoming Twilight movie.
                        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Since you are bringing this up…

My girls have read these three books over and over and over again. I am a bit perplexed at the hold this series has had over both of them. Thank you again for the recommendation.

pax

Comment

Glad they enjoyed it.
                            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                            X