PDA

View Full Version : Household Tips

jkpescador
August 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Anyone care to share household tips on keeping your home in good condition? I would like to know what cleaners your use? How do you remove mildew? Any neat projects you did to save energy, space, etc?

lavagal
August 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM
hahahahahahaha! oh my! i'll need to read this!

Miulang
August 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Simple Green (http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_comp.php)for just about anything that needs cleaning. It's biodegradable, doesn't contain any harsh chemicals (safe around kids and pets) and it really works. We've used the original product for years and years. Now they've come up with specialized formulas for different types of cleaning, but the DH just used the original Simple Green formula and some elbow grease last weekend to degrease a garage floor that had about 6 months' worth of oil on it and it worked perfectly.

There's even a $1.00 off coupon (https://secure.simplegreen.com/coupons/cons_spec_cou.php) on the website.

Miulang

tutusue
August 10th, 2007, 10:59 AM
With any luck my suggestions will be superceded with better ones as I, too, am always in search of the best products (hopefully mutipurpose).

I think I mentioned a couple of years ago that I use Dawn dishwashing liquid not only for dishes but also in place of laundry detergent. It does a great job on both.

Swiffer is my friend and I'm now trying to decide which one to use on my new, laminate flooring...wet or dry or both, interchangably. Advice appreciated. I also use the newest Swiffer duster (http://www.swiffer.com/swiffer/en_US/duster.do), the one with an extendable handle and disposable, shaggy, fluffy heads. Love these!!!

I've used Oxiclean (http://oxiclean.com/151616A05products.asp?MainNav=Products&SubNav=Versatile) for years as a laundry additive in place of bleach for colors. It works on whites, too, with a 15 min. pre-soak. When I got spots on carpeting, Oxiclean worked very well. I'm now happily rid of carpeting, tho'!

I'm a fan of the Mr. Clean eraser (http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml) sponges/pads. The Safeway brand equivalent works just as well for less money. They're great for marks on the wall, fingerprints on laptops, keeping the tub/shower/walls clean (once clean...won't work on heavy soap scum)

Now, all that said, can anyone confirm something I read...somewhere...that only bar soap causes soam scum on showers, tubs and their walls. IOW, the soap that remains on these surfaces, if not removed, hardens back to original consistency. And, that liquid soaps don't cause a problem or, at least, as much of a problem as they don't harden.

Saving space really boils down to a lack of accumulation. So, purge, purge, purge! ;)

Karen
August 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Sue, I dig Swiffer a lot! I use it several times a week. My daughter's townhouse has those laminate floors and she uses the wet and dry, the dry like a quick vacuum and the wet for dirty floors. She says they both work well and she's the one that turned me onto Swiffer wet. It works really well on our ceramic tile.

I have never tried Oxyclean, so thanks. I was assuming it was just another tv infomercial ripoff. now I am wondering about the other types of products that Oxyclean makes. I think I've seen it in a spray bottle like windex is, at walmart, vaguely seems so.

We live without dishwasher and Dawn is the only soap for me. I read at plumbing sites that it really is better cuz of grease. we're just now trying Bio-Clean for buildup in the sink drain pipes. Had to have a plumber out cuz it got totally clogged after five years in this house. (Man! even in the eighties I woulda never dreamed I'd ever agree to live without a dishwasher, again)

Bio Clean is a bunch of pancreatin digestive enzymes and some safe bacteria, so safe reportedly that the salespeople put some of it in their mouths at trade shows. :D :eek: I bought it cuz it's safe for the kitchen sink, meaning the next day I can rinse the sink, of course clean it again and not worry if any of that stuff backwashes into the side I wash dishes in. (It was 45 bucks for two pounds but only takes a tablespoon at a time, and I already know Pancreatin isn't cheap cuz I take it sometimes)

ah, the magic Erasers! I like them a lot for the fridge handle, and they can actually make milk-white grout less stained but what a tedious job! Never, ever buy a house, heck rent or whatever a house with milk white tile!! and grout....dumb, very dumb...looks good when new, and then the staining begins no matter how often you mop, yikes! If anyone knows of any miracles for the grout, lemme know.

Soap scum! ARGH...I have a life and it doesn't include scrubbing tile for hours, sigh. oh the floor of the shower and the bottom of the tub looks great cuz the bleach does all of the work, but the scum! Yes, I can believe that the liquid body soaps don't make scum cuz they aren't the consistency of the bar soap to start, but if I am running late that liquid soap can drive me crazy cuz my skin feels as if it isn't rinsed completely off, LOL. Otherwise, I dig the stuff and some of it smells so good that who wants to get it off?

Peshkwe
August 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM
If you have sharpy marker or ball point pen ink on a vinyl surface use the acne cream Oxy10 on it. It'll take a bit of time but it'll fade right out, putting the thing so the sun hits it speeds up the process.

I found this out when my youngest (then 3yrs) decided to 'decorate' an old vinyl doll I had as well as her older sister's Barbie dolls. Just put a thickish coat on the ink marks and let it set for about a week. It'll work on car dashboards and seats too, comes in handy if you've ever forgot a pen sitting there and the heat from the sun made the ink bubble out all over.

Pomai
August 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM
My sister moved into a rental home temporarily while she hunts for a place to buy.

She hung their pictures and other decorations on the walls all around the house using those removable 3M Command wall hangers (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/picture_hangers/). No drilling required.

When they move out, she'll be able to remove all of them without damaging and repairing the walls.

Iodized table salt is great for absorbing freshly-spilled liquids on carpet. Especially dark stuff like red wine or fruit juices. Pour a liberal amount over the spill and let it sit until you see most of the salt clot and absorb the spill, then vacuum the salt up. Usually there's little or no stain left behind. If necessary, use an appropriate carpet stain remover to finish the job.

Da Rolling Eye
August 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Windex with ammonia in the kitchen when cleaning any place that has a greasy build up.

Clorox spray cleaner for mildew in the tub and shower and on the shower curtain. I also use it to pretreat the tile floor or carpet before shampooing.

For outside mildew, I use a 3 gallon yard sprayer. Fill it with about 1 1/2 cups of bleach and the rest with water. Spray the side of the house and eaves. Once the mildew has "melted" away, rinse the area down with water. It may take 2 to 3 applications, depending on how black the wall or eaves are. There's also another solution you can buy at places like Ace, but it's not any safer to use than bleach and costs way more. Also be careful with certain plants. Some plants will die after being drenched with the bleach solution. A warning. Use a face shield when spraying the eaves. The solution, although on the weak side, is still strong enough to affect your eyes. Burns like a dickens and can impair your vision for a few days. I do not know of nor have I heard of anything safer that can be used to rid the outside of the house of mildew. Maybe someone else may have heard of something new on the market?

jkpescador
August 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure how safe this is but I bought some crystals for cleaning pools and threw them on the algae growing near the water that comes from the AC and it cleared that up. I also threw the crystals in the yard where algae was growing and it cleared it up and the grass turned yellow at first but then grew like crazy. I also filled up the tub with water and threw some in the tub.

Any tips on keeping the kitchen clean ... microwave ... oven ... stainless steel sink?

How do you keep waterspots off the windows? Can I wax them?

Keep up with the tips. Mahalo!

1stwahine
August 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I clean as I cook.;)

I use Fantastik Heavy Duty Cleaner, Comet and a lot of grease elbow!

I also take the top of my stove and clean it once a month with Comet.

I clean the inside of my Microwave every day.

My whole kitchen area gets general cleaned once a month.

Daily cleaning is the key.

I general clean my Hale every month.

I pour clorax in all pipes once a week.

I use Pinesoil when I mop.

I have the Blue thingy in my toilet.heheheh

A Clean Hale is a Happy Hale!:D

Auntie Lynn

SusieMisajon
August 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Clean? You mean like...get off the internet and do stuff?

infinitypro
August 11th, 2007, 11:25 AM
We use AWESOME as a degreaser in the kitchen, car engine, car oil stains, etc.; as a disinfectant anywhere in the house; as a mildew remover in the bathroom, shower, AC overflow; as a stain remover on clothes, shoes, apparel; the list goes on!

In Texas I was able to find it for a dollar at the nearest Dollar Tree store, however in Hawaii I've only found it at Pearl City Longs for about $2.99.

Da Rolling Eye
August 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure how safe this is but I bought some crystals for cleaning pools and threw them on the algae growing near the water that comes from the AC and it cleared that up. I also threw the crystals in the yard where algae was growing and it cleared it up and the grass turned yellow at first but then grew like crazy. I also filled up the tub with water and threw some in the tub.

Any tips on keeping the kitchen clean ... microwave ... oven ... stainless steel sink?

How do you keep waterspots off the windows? Can I wax them?

Keep up with the tips. Mahalo!

How'd those crystals do in the tub?

Microwave-Windex. Just let it soak in for a few seconds before you start wiping it up.

Stainless steel can be cleaned with a fine abrasive cleanser. They sell them in places like Longs and are specific for stainless steel. Also for quick jobs, you can use scotch brite pads. We used to use scotch brite for cleaning and polishing stainless steel galley counters and sinks onboard the ships we worked on at Pearl Harbor.

Can't see any reason why you can't wax the windows. You could also use something like RainX.

Da Rolling Eye
August 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Shucks, if you live in a newer home, your oven/range should have a cleaning feature. Just set it and forget it, but make sure all your windows are open and you have adequate ventilation. It can get pretty smelly. What happens is that it'll lock the oven door and go intermittantly at a really high temp. More than you could set the oven for. When done, everything is nice and clean except for a small bit of fine ash on the bottom of the oven.

If not, well I guess you're going to have to use one of those spray on oven cleaners. Really nasty, smelly stuff. Don't forget the elbow grease. ;)

cezanne
August 11th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I always have this cleaner recipe handy on the computer:

10 parts water
2 parts alcohol
1 part ammonia
1/4 part liquid dish soap

Put in spray bottle.

We used it to clean our model planes after a day of flying at Kawainui Marsh. But it's a great household cleaner too. Greasy kitchen, glass,...

Karen
August 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Cezanne, I don't understand something...I liked your recipe cuz it sounded like something that I just wipe and no rinsing, but then I saw the last ingredient. With any dish soap in it, seems you have to rinse and rinse well. Help me here....and thanks.

cezanne
August 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
It's pretty much no rinse. It's not that much dish soap. I dunno maybe the alcohol and/or the ammonia aid in the soap residue removal. Try it.:)

Cezanne, I don't understand something...I liked your recipe cuz it sounded like something that I just wipe and no rinsing, but then I saw the last ingredient. With any dish soap in it, seems you have to rinse and rinse well. Help me here....and thanks.

Karen
August 11th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Cool beans! I am pleasantly amazed that yeppers, you do use it like I do windex, just spray and wipe. Thanks~

craigwatanabe
August 12th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Once my toddler got diaper trained I didn't know what to do with the remaining two sealed Costco packages of baby wipes until...

Now they're used to clean the bathroom and kitchen counter tops. Works great and the pop up containers make it easy to grab.

I use the aerosol Lysol on my windows and faucet hardware. It leaves a clean, streak free and sanitized surface.

SusieMisajon
August 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM
My tip is to buy a camper and escape the house.

(we still use babywipes...the baby is nine years old. They are good for dirty faces, sticky fingers, poopy butts, greasy fingers, feminine places, camp showers, menstrual messes, dirty ears, stinky underarms...)

Karen
August 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Craig, I dig Lysol products and just want to share a tip about health, and their aerosol product. I'll set it up for ya....Edith bunker style perhaps, so sleeping is optional as you read. :D

Mom was fighting her cancer, had been in the lung, half of one taken out, but nine mos. later it was back, several tumors in the liver. I was home with her and we were at her oh no, I haven't been up long...the name of the pulmonary doc...LOL anyway,

we were discussing how the chemo had kicked her into the hospital with infection and I told doc how clean we were keeping her house, even spraying the door knobs with lysol aerosol and he said to use other lysol products and wipe them with a rag, because he said that Lysol aerosol "eats the lining of our lungs."

I was using it heavily on the floors of our cat boxes and only coughing if I breathed too much. Man, am I more careful now.

craigwatanabe
August 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Craig, I dig Lysol products and just want to share a tip about health, and their aerosol product. I'll set it up for ya....Edith bunker style perhaps, so sleeping is optional as you read. :D

Mom was fighting her cancer, had been in the lung, half of one taken out, but nine mos. later it was back, several tumors in the liver. I was home with her and we were at her oh no, I haven't been up long...the name of the pulmonary doc...LOL anyway,

we were discussing how the chemo had kicked her into the hospital with infection and I told doc how clean we were keeping her house, even spraying the door knobs with lysol aerosol and he said to use other lysol products and wipe them with a rag, because he said that Lysol aerosol "eats the lining of our lungs."

I was using it heavily on the floors of our cat boxes and only coughing if I breathed too much. Man, am I more careful now.

Okay I'll switch to the bottled version and use a rag. Thanks for that info

tutusue
August 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Are Clorox wipes not effective as Lysol?

infinitypro
August 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM

No wonder, now that I think back, we'd use it to spray the outside garbage can (issued by the City), and I would feel like I was hacking up a lung trying to get that can to be disinfected and smelling decent!

We shall continue with our multi-purpose cleaner, AWESOME, cleans everything from the autos, to the garage, to the bathroom, kitchen...it's simply AWESOME! :)

Karen
August 12th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Sue, that's a darn good question. I have never used those wipes. What I need to do is read their ingredient list. Does it say they do have bleach in them? I ask cuz my sis told me the Clorox floor wipes that I think she meant are Swiffer's competition....that they don't have bleach in them, and of course you wouldn't want them to cuz how do you get bleach off of a floor, and not track any of it into carpet? yikes....

So, if those have bleach in them then one has to be careful where you use them right? or, of course they don't have bleach in them so not to worry, but it's the bleach that powerfully kills germs, so what does Clorox use that does?

I'm being rhetorical, and hope you can tell so. I'm not drilling ya here. :D

Lysol's power is proven and dang good, so if Clorox wipes use an equally powerful ingredient but it isn't bleach, I'm there. (I dig using clorox on bathtub and shower floors and walls, but sure don't want to use it anywhere that I have to worry about it transferring, bleaching things out, etc)

Infinity, you've mentioned Awesome more than once and you do have my attention! sounds uh...dare I say it? LOL wonderful! I gotta watch the store aisle on base and see if they've got it, or elsewhere, sure. I like learning about new things that do work, I mean new to me. I've tried some supposed environmentally safe things, for example, and they had names I'd never heard of and uh...got returned to the store. They just didn't work as well and I can only wonder if billions of germs were laughing at me.

Palolo Joe
August 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
(we still use babywipes...the baby is nine years old. They are good for ... stinky underarms...)

Stinky 'pits? Forget taking A SHOWER... just use baby wipes!

Disgusting.

SusieMisajon
August 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Stinky 'pits? Forget taking A SHOWER... just use baby wipes!

Disgusting.
There are times when taking a shower is not an available option.

lavagal
August 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
My kids have been out of diapers for years, but I still buy wipes in bulk for everything. I especially like to delouse after leaving a place like Savers (but I have vowed never to return to that dump ever again). We have them in the van for wiping our hands if we are having lunch. And they are very good for spots on the shirt, wiping the upholstery, the steering wheel, ya kinda go crazy and wipe the gear knob, the dash, the door...

Tutusue:
I think the theory that liquid soap doesn't form scum in the tub could be correct. My girls have been using the Suave liquid soaps formulated for kids and their tub is not nearly as groady as ours...we use bar soaps and liquid soaps, depending on mood...it could be that as adults we slough off more, but to an extent I think I can confirm that liquid soap residue doesn't generally harden in the tub.

Karen
August 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Good points about the baby wipes, man the uses just keep on a'comin.
They are one of the things our troops request and I've sent some of them to Iraq. I can barely imagine not being able to shower and feeling really hot & yechy, and the relief those things must bring.

I also carry the little handwipes in my purse and leave the baby wipes in the car.

SusieMisajon
August 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM
If you store the babywipes upside down, they tend to stay damp longer.

tutusue
August 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Sue, that's a darn good question. I have never used those wipes. What I need to do is read their ingredient list.[...]
I'm too lazy to type them from the label. Here they are per this web site (http://www.epinions.com/content_180415991428):
Active Ingredients: n-Alkyl (C14, 60%; C16, 30%; C12, 5%; C18, 5%) Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride...0.145% n-Alkyl (C12, 68%; C14, 32%) Dimethyl Ethylbenzyl Ammonium Chloride...0.145% Other Ingredients...99.710%

I use them mostly on door knobs and handles after each casting session. Lotsa people, lotsa germs!

GeckoGeek
August 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Craig, I dig Lysol products and just want to share a tip about health, and their aerosol product.

<Sigh> Some people at work leave a can of the stuff in the bathroom so they can use it when they are done. The company's large enough that the bathroom can be rather busy.

I hate when I have to use the bathroom after one of those people. I simply can not imagine anything that can "disinfect on contact" that wouldn't be bad for my lungs in any trace amounts.

I wish I could find an article. Maybe I can post it in the bathroom and see if that can will disappear.

jkpescador
August 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Hey Pomai where do you buy those wall hangers?

The tub smelled like a pool and those non-slip strips looked a little cleaner. I'm sure using bleech would work just as well. I was just experimenting.

infinitypro
August 13th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Infinity, you've mentioned Awesome more than once and you do have my attention! sounds uh...dare I say it? LOL wonderful! I gotta watch the store aisle on base and see if they've got it, or elsewhere, sure. I like learning about new things that do work, I mean new to me. I've tried some supposed environmentally safe things, for example, and they had names I'd never heard of and uh...got returned to the store. They just didn't work as well and I can only wonder if billions of germs were laughing at me.

Like I said, I could find it at any Dollar Tree Store in Texas, but only Pearl City Longs here in Hawaii. My Mom, whom I must dub Queen of Clean was instantly "hooked" on the ease and efficiency of AWESOME!

So, I just Yahoo'd it, and...

I stumbled upon www.awesome-cleaner.com (http://www.awesome-cleaner.com) and there's a whole line of AWESOME products...time to bust out the credit card! :D

tutusue
August 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM
[...]I stumbled upon www.awesome-cleaner.com (http://www.awesome-cleaner.com) and there's a whole line of AWESOME products...time to bust out the credit card! :D
I reeeeally want some of the 'horse face wipe' but, alas, the Awesome store is closed! :D

Seriously, I think I bought some of this product at the Murakai 99 store a couple of years ago. I went back for more and it was gone. I should check again.

infinitypro
August 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I reeeeally want some of the 'horse face wipe' but, alas, the Awesome store is closed! :D

Seriously, I think I bought some of this product at the Murakai 99 store a couple of years ago. I went back for more and it was gone. I should check again.

Marukai, need to tell NOE that we need to take a cruise down Ward, on a POI day too would be even better!

Karen
August 13th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Gecko, I googled the words "Lysol and Lung" but stuff came up about indepth chemical studies and I didn't have the time to wade through it all. I hope you can put something up, heck, why not just a notice in large font that says "Lysol Aerosol eats lung lining" cuz I dang well guarantee you that Mom's doc was serious and confident in his warning. Heck, I'd do my own sign, get people to thinking and to talking about it.

thank you, Infinity! I'm clicking that link next and checking it all out.

1stwahine
August 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Hey! Talking about Wipes! Got all kind wipes foa Sale at Times Liliha! They recently opened a Dollar Stand. Gadgets, shampoos, household products, etc. for only a dollar.

Auntie Lynn

1stwahine
August 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I just came back from Times Liliha! Ukipila people buying plenny food and odda stuff. Especially, batteries and can goods!

Parking was hard to find.

But people were smiling and courteous to each other.

Only in Hawai'i!:)

Auntie Lynn

Leo Lakio
August 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Dollar TreeWhy is it when I see one of these stores, I want to add the word "Eighty" to their sign? :p

infinitypro
August 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Why is it when I see one of these stores, I want to add the word "Eighty" to their sign? :p

Thank you so much, I needed a hearty laugh thanks for your DOLLAH TREE EIGHTY!:)

tutusue
August 31st, 2007, 01:17 PM
Marukai, need to tell NOE that we need to take a cruise down Ward, on a POI day too would be even better!
I was at the 99 Store today and they have various "Awesome" products. Trouble is, I don't know whether or not they're knock-offs. I saw the all purpose cleaner in a red spray bottle. The "Awesome" web site doesn't show a red bottle. You be the judge, Neenz!!!

infinitypro
August 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM
I was at the 99 Store today and they have various "Awesome" products. Trouble is, I don't know whether or not they're knock-offs. I saw the all purpose cleaner in a red spray bottle. The "Awesome" web site doesn't show a red bottle. You be the judge, Neenz!!!

Hmm...the bottle sold in stores is clear, the liquid is yellowish, and the font color is red. The "spray" is more a pump at the top...and not a trigger type.

Gosh darn it, we were in town on our way to Ward, got distracted by our stomachs and ended up dining at Shirokiya! Sorry tutusue...could be a knock off.

tutusue
August 31st, 2007, 07:39 PM
[...]Sorry tutusue...could be a knock off.
That's ok...I'm glad I saved you a trip! Besides, it was probably $1.49 and not 99! :D

cynsaligia
August 31st, 2007, 08:15 PM
regarding lysol, here's their MSDS (http://www.herc.org/library/msds/lysolspray.htm). it's 4% carbon dioxide, 0.1% 2-phenylphenol, and 79% ethyl alcohol--the same stuff that's in your vodka.

the msds shows that the federal national toxicology program, occupational safety and health program, and the international agency for research on cancer have all found lysol not to be a carcinogen.

that said...

it's never a good idea to use any aerosol around anyone who has any kind of respiratory problem.

additionally, even if you have a healthy pulmonary system, you shouldn't be breathing in any aerosol indiscriminately.

*takes her healthcare risk management hat off*

craigwatanabe
August 31st, 2007, 10:36 PM
But can you drink it? Or better yet...will it blend?:D

Karen
August 31st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Brain fart time.....I alraedy posted what I think of the magic eraser....bought more and the extra strength one isn't as magical as I had hoped. argh....

Karen
August 31st, 2007, 11:53 PM
About Lysol and aerosols in general, of course no aerosol, smoking or anything that could irritate a person's lungs or even a stuffy nose should be used around them. About Lysol, I'd never heard anyone suggest that it may be a carcinogen, but the Pulmonary Specialist that told me not to use Lysol aerosol was referring only to Lysol in his warning that it "eats the lining of the lung." He didn't say it "maybe" could or anything, but was succinct in his warning that Lysol does that and then told me to use the liquid lysol for what I was doing with it.

I do wonder if it's the combo of its ingredients, or just one that eats the lining. Sounds pretty serious. I know the doc was, about it.

I've wondered about just a spray or two of hairspray, for our lungs. I cringe when I see someone on a tv commercial using aerosols to fill a room with an aroma. :eek:

mel
September 1st, 2007, 02:39 AM
Haven't read this whole thread.... but did you know that some household cleaning solutions like "Fantastik" do a good job of instantly killing German cockroaches if you hit them head on with plenty of this stuff? They die faster than if you use standard bug spray such as Raid.

sophielynette
September 1st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Something I just read and plan on trying out is that boric acid can be used as an insecticide. The crystals get stuck in the cracks of the insects' body and prevents them from moving, so they starve to death. It's supposed to be safe to use around kids and pets.

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html

Karen
September 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
LOL Mel, fantastik and roaches? Well, naw I didn't know that one but I can confirm that ants, typical red or brown, little ones will stop in their tracks and die pretty quickly from Windex. I've got it under three sinks in the house and so it's handy and safer for us, too.

Anyone got a liquid bullet for centipedes?

mel
September 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
You know what the roaches say about Raid?

"Thanks for the bath". :D

infinitypro
September 1st, 2007, 11:55 AM
Back in my Camp Erdman days we were taught that the "shiny" film on the roaches wings is what protects them. Anything that either penetrates or dissolves this "film" will kill it. So windex, fantastik...CHOOOOKE Raid (probably so that we buy more)...peroxide, it should work.

For me, I just grad 'em with my hand, transfer it to a paper towel, and crunch 'em up. :D

infinitypro
September 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
UPDATE: NOE found the AWESOME cleaner across the street at Price Buster's Pearlridge. It's packaged in a different bottle than the one sold at Long's Pearl City. It's a clear spray bottle, wait it just hit me I'll take a picture.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/NEENZ/MISC/AWESOMECLEANER001.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/NEENZ/MISC/AWESOMECLEANER002.jpg

Why didn't I just think of this before? :rolleyes:

jkpescador
September 30th, 2007, 09:22 PM
From aroundhawaii.com ... http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/food/2007-09_household_hints_island_style_-_part_1.html

infinitypro
September 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM
From aroundhawaii.com ... http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/food/2007-09_household_hints_island_style_-_part_1.html

Thanks for the link, some things I knew (from my mom) and some didn't so I'm forwarding the link to her! :)

jkpescador
October 13th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Household hints part II
http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/food/2007-10_household_hints_aloha_style_part_ii.html

alohacandy
October 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Household hints part II
http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/food/2007-10_household_hints_aloha_style_part_ii.html

Thanks for the hints....I wonder if plain old rubbing alcohol would do some of the things that the vodka would do....only cheaper (except you couldn't pour some for yourself afterwards!).

woodman
October 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
To kill roaches, you really need to use boric acid.

http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html

Go to the hardware store and by the strongest stuff they have. Sprinkle it behind the kick-boards of your kitchen & bathroom cabinets, in the corners under the sink, underneath the range and refrigerator, and in the corners around the pantry.

Roaches don't die right away. They track the powder back to their lair where it gets spread to other roaches. >: - )

craigwatanabe
October 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM
To kill roaches, you really need to use boric acid.

http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html

Go to the hardware store and by the strongest stuff they have. Sprinkle it behind the kick-boards of your kitchen & bathroom cabinets, in the corners under the sink, underneath the range and refrigerator, and in the corners around the pantry.

Roaches don't die right away. They track the powder back to their lair where it gets spread to other roaches. >: - )

Where they eat it and explode:D

DMM
October 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Wrap your sandwiches in aluminum foil instead of baggies or plastic wrap. It's amazing how much fresher they stay.

cynsaligia
October 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the hints....I wonder if plain old rubbing alcohol would do some of the things that the vodka would do....only cheaper (except you couldn't pour some for yourself afterwards!).

some of the vodka hints were familiar, except when i saw them before, they used regular rubbing alchy.

most of the hints were new to me, though. only thing is i'd say no way to rubbing vodka on my skin. i wouldn't rub regular rubbing achy on my face either--too harsh and drying, even if one has very oily skin. generally speaking, toners are unnecessary but if you really want to use one, witch hazel is best.

craigwatanabe
October 17th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I love your quote at the bottom of your posts...but I can't imagine a bulldog with lipstick:D :eek: ;)