Storm preparation/buying tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm preparation/buying tips

Okay, the Flossie is now a minimal Category Four hurricane, at 132 sustained winds the last I read. Forecast still sounds really hopeful, but I bet we all have things we should be buying this weekend, and things we should be doing.

Please! anyone that will, post suggestions of things to do...around the house, work, etc. and also how about suggestions of things we may wish to buy.

I'm hoping to get a good price on a couple more large lantern-style flashlights, more bottled water and more batteries. I have all flashlights out together and am about to open them to make sure which batteries they require.

I'm picking up some of those baby wipes cuz they sure are handy for a "spit bath" as mom used to call it. Tea in cans, things like that, and maybe some coffees in little bottles if...I can find them at a wonderful price.

I know I'll think of more cuz we only now read the forecast about Flossie and yeah, baby.......this storm is at least one heckuva reminder and trial run to get us all taking stock of how prepared we are.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Re: Storm Preparation/buying tips~

Do your laundry.

No one ever regretted storing too much water. If the storm looks like a close or near miss, fill your tubs and other containers with water.

Evaluate everything on the exterior of the house for flying potential. Tie down or store those items that could be hazards to your home or neighbors.

Make sure all autos have full tanks of gasoline.

I'll think of more!

Comment

Somehow, I love to go out to stores and take pictures of the crowds (that is, if they heard the news).
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Trust me, you don't want to be working retail when there is a warning or watch. It's just crazy at Costco, Sams, and the Grocery stores. I've seen 3 pallets of bottled water go out in less than 2 1/2 hours.
        Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I have a small kit. A propane burner. Several collapsable water containers. Basically camping supplies. My neighbor has a generator. I know the inventory of our neighbors tool sheds.

I probably could use more batteries.

I would say there is a benefit living closer to town as you will get your utlities on faster. Out htere in Mililani ti would take a lot of time for us to get our utilities back.
          just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
            I know the inventory of our neighbors tool sheds.

Text added to get around short message.

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
              I would say there is a benefit living closer to town as you will get your utlities on faster. Out htere in Mililani ti would take a lot of time for us to get our utilities back.
              When the earthquake hit last year, it seemed that after the long power outage, the places nearer to the generating plants came on before places like East Honolulu.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                Do your laundry.
                In progress!
                No one ever regretted storing too much water. If the storm looks like a close or near miss, fill your tubs and other containers with water.
                Thanks for the reminder! I just got back from Longs where I bought, among other things, a drain stopper for the bathtub. Haven't used it as a tub (only a shower) since I moved in.
                Evaluate everything on the exterior of the house for flying potential. Tie down or store those items that could be hazards to your home or neighbors.
                The up side to living in a condo during a potential hurricane is that maintenance and security take care of the exterior!
                Make sure all autos have full tanks of gasoline.
                Done!

I was out today buying my daughter the rest of her hurricane kit items (a practical and terribly unglamorous house warming present!) and picked up some additional supplies for my 2 kits and hers:
                Vinyl gloves...disposable kind
                Some MRE style Indian food from Kokua
                small cans of Ensure
                insect repellant
                small containers of Purell

I'm the worst when it comes to remembering to buy and change out batteries so I have 2 handcrank flashlights in each kit. One of them is also a radio. Both have warning sirens, iirc.

Oh, and something else I consider important for each kit...Body Mint! Really! That stuff truly works.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  When the earthquake hit last year, it seemed that after the long power outage, the places nearer to the generating plants came on before places like East Honolulu.
                  Wasn't East Honolulu one of the last areas to come back on? I think the top of Waialae Nui ridge was *the* last...the following day. Parts of Kakaako didn't light up until after 11p whereas Makaha was up and running about 8 hours earlier. I drove from Portlock to Kakaako around 10p and it was pitch black all the way to Kahala. From Kahala to Kakaako the lights were partially on. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to when the electricity returned altho' there probably was was within HECO!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

Text added to get around short message.
                    One of our neighbors is a boy scout leader so I know he's prepared.
                    Another neighbor just is one of those guys that is ready for anything. We had a good ole time during the earthquake/power outage. It would be rough going a couple days/weeks without power but I know we would support each other.

My Uncle hurricane proofed his house. He has tie downs around the house. He has bolts around all the windows and plywood and wingnuts to put the boards up quickly.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Make a trip to Costco! That's what I need to do to update my stock of emergency stuff -- which is so darn old now or nonexistent! My hubby (who works there) says that the store today is very busy with folks buying the type of supplies that you'd expect -- toilet paper, water, etc.

And make sure that I have plenty of food for my critters also! I would never leave my cat or my turtles (?!) home alone in a hurricane, so I am planning to take them to our Humane Society, which has hurricane facilities for pets AND their owners!

You know, if nothing else -- this storm is making lots of us more aware of what we have and don't have in the way of supplies -- so gearing up "just in case" isn't at all a bad idea!

Malama Pono,

Comment

I keep a couple of good first aid kits ready as well as a plastic file box to carry our papers and another heavy duty plastic box for our smaller valuables that we own. For stuff like valuable coins, precious stones and jewelry. This is more in case we have to evacuate. Unfortunately, we have 3 dogs, so one of us has to stay behind if it gets to that. Me.

We also keep a "booboo" bag in the van and is packed with one set of dry clothing for each of us, a couple of large beach towels, toilet tissue and bath accessories, high energy snacks and another first aid kit.

We use one of those water coolers so we always make sure to refill the 3 and 5 gal. bottles. Couple of butane stoves and spare cartridges comes in handy for cooking rice or boiling up some ramen. Always keep extra bags of dog food and rice on hand during storm season. Also got a bunch of hurricane lanterns as well as flashlights and candles. Can't forget our 70's vintage wired phone.

Comment

A small container of unscented Clorox...
                          16 drops to a gallon of water...let sit for 30 min...will make tainted water drinkable albeit with a slight bleach taste. I'd rather taste bleach than get sick! I was looking into buying water purification tablets but the majority of what I read said bleach is...the best...the cheapest...the most effective.

Oh, and I bought a bunch of space blankets for $1.99 each at Sports Authority.

Comment

my very favorite website for high quality Amish-kine products:

http://www.lehmans.com/

cannot ever go wrong with a washboard, a hand-crank flashlight, even home water test kits. If you need to go crazy and have refridge needs (medicines come to mind), they sell portable fridges with all sorts of power supply options.

there are gobs of sites like these, too: http://www.disasteremergencykits.com/ and http://www.hurricanestore.com/kits.h...FQgZhgodYQs2Kw

pax

Comment

Batteries
                              Water
                              TP
                              Propane for the grill (if it's still there)

Comment

Working...
                              X