PDA

View Full Version : Storm preparation/buying tips

Karen
August 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Okay, the Flossie is now a minimal Category Four hurricane, at 132 sustained winds the last I read. Forecast still sounds really hopeful, but I bet we all have things we should be buying this weekend, and things we should be doing.

Please! anyone that will, post suggestions of things to do...around the house, work, etc. and also how about suggestions of things we may wish to buy.

I'm hoping to get a good price on a couple more large lantern-style flashlights, more bottled water and more batteries. I have all flashlights out together and am about to open them to make sure which batteries they require.

I'm picking up some of those baby wipes cuz they sure are handy for a "spit bath" as mom used to call it. Tea in cans, things like that, and maybe some coffees in little bottles if...I can find them at a wonderful price.

I know I'll think of more cuz we only now read the forecast about Flossie and yeah, baby.......this storm is at least one heckuva reminder and trial run to get us all taking stock of how prepared we are.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

glossyp
August 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Do your laundry.

No one ever regretted storing too much water. If the storm looks like a close or near miss, fill your tubs and other containers with water.

Evaluate everything on the exterior of the house for flying potential. Tie down or store those items that could be hazards to your home or neighbors.

Make sure all autos have full tanks of gasoline.

I'll think of more!

adrian
August 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Somehow, I love to go out to stores and take pictures of the crowds (that is, if they heard the news).

Altivec
August 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Trust me, you don't want to be working retail when there is a warning or watch. It's just crazy at Costco, Sams, and the Grocery stores. I've seen 3 pallets of bottled water go out in less than 2 1/2 hours.

jkpescador
August 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I have a small kit. A propane burner. Several collapsable water containers. Basically camping supplies. My neighbor has a generator. :) I know the inventory of our neighbors tool sheds.

I probably could use more batteries.

I would say there is a benefit living closer to town as you will get your utlities on faster. Out htere in Mililani ti would take a lot of time for us to get our utilities back.

GeckoGeek
August 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I know the inventory of our neighbors tool sheds.

:eek:

Text added to get around short message.

mel
August 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I would say there is a benefit living closer to town as you will get your utlities on faster. Out htere in Mililani ti would take a lot of time for us to get our utilities back.

When the earthquake hit last year, it seemed that after the long power outage, the places nearer to the generating plants came on before places like East Honolulu.

tutusue
August 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Do your laundry.
In progress!

No one ever regretted storing too much water. If the storm looks like a close or near miss, fill your tubs and other containers with water.
Thanks for the reminder! I just got back from Longs where I bought, among other things, a drain stopper for the bathtub. Haven't used it as a tub (only a shower) since I moved in.

Evaluate everything on the exterior of the house for flying potential. Tie down or store those items that could be hazards to your home or neighbors.
The up side to living in a condo during a potential hurricane is that maintenance and security take care of the exterior!

Make sure all autos have full tanks of gasoline.
Done!

I was out today buying my daughter the rest of her hurricane kit items (a practical and terribly unglamorous house warming present!) and picked up some additional supplies for my 2 kits and hers:
Vinyl gloves...disposable kind
Some MRE style Indian food from Kokua
small cans of Ensure
insect repellant
small containers of Purell

I'm the worst when it comes to remembering to buy and change out batteries so I have 2 handcrank flashlights in each kit. One of them is also a radio. Both have warning sirens, iirc.

Oh, and something else I consider important for each kit...Body Mint! Really! That stuff truly works.

tutusue
August 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
When the earthquake hit last year, it seemed that after the long power outage, the places nearer to the generating plants came on before places like East Honolulu.
Wasn't East Honolulu one of the last areas to come back on? I think the top of Waialae Nui ridge was *the* last...the following day. Parts of Kakaako didn't light up until after 11p whereas Makaha was up and running about 8 hours earlier. I drove from Portlock to Kakaako around 10p and it was pitch black all the way to Kahala. From Kahala to Kakaako the lights were partially on. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to when the electricity returned altho' there probably was was within HECO!

jkpescador
August 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
:eek:

Text added to get around short message.

One of our neighbors is a boy scout leader so I know he's prepared. :)
Another neighbor just is one of those guys that is ready for anything. We had a good ole time during the earthquake/power outage. It would be rough going a couple days/weeks without power but I know we would support each other.

My Uncle hurricane proofed his house. He has tie downs around the house. He has bolts around all the windows and plywood and wingnuts to put the boards up quickly.

koloagirl
August 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Aloha from Kaua'i!

Make a trip to Costco! That's what I need to do to update my stock of emergency stuff -- which is so darn old now or nonexistent! My hubby (who works there) says that the store today is very busy with folks buying the type of supplies that you'd expect -- toilet paper, water, etc.

And make sure that I have plenty of food for my critters also! I would never leave my cat or my turtles (?!) home alone in a hurricane, so I am planning to take them to our Humane Society, which has hurricane facilities for pets AND their owners!

You know, if nothing else -- this storm is making lots of us more aware of what we have and don't have in the way of supplies -- so gearing up "just in case" isn't at all a bad idea!

Malama Pono,

Da Rolling Eye
August 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I keep a couple of good first aid kits ready as well as a plastic file box to carry our papers and another heavy duty plastic box for our smaller valuables that we own. For stuff like valuable coins, precious stones and jewelry. This is more in case we have to evacuate. Unfortunately, we have 3 dogs, so one of us has to stay behind if it gets to that. Me. :eek: :D

We also keep a "booboo" bag in the van and is packed with one set of dry clothing for each of us, a couple of large beach towels, toilet tissue and bath accessories, high energy snacks and another first aid kit.

We use one of those water coolers so we always make sure to refill the 3 and 5 gal. bottles. Couple of butane stoves and spare cartridges comes in handy for cooking rice or boiling up some ramen. Always keep extra bags of dog food and rice on hand during storm season. Also got a bunch of hurricane lanterns as well as flashlights and candles. Can't forget our 70's vintage wired phone. :D

tutusue
August 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM
A small container of unscented Clorox...
16 drops to a gallon of water...let sit for 30 min...will make tainted water drinkable albeit with a slight bleach taste. I'd rather taste bleach than get sick! I was looking into buying water purification tablets but the majority of what I read said bleach is...the best...the cheapest...the most effective.

Oh, and I bought a bunch of space blankets for $1.99 each at Sports Authority.

Pua'i Mana'o
August 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
my very favorite website for high quality Amish-kine products:

http://www.lehmans.com/

cannot ever go wrong with a washboard, a hand-crank flashlight, even home water test kits. If you need to go crazy and have refridge needs (medicines come to mind), they sell portable fridges with all sorts of power supply options.

there are gobs of sites like these, too: http://www.disasteremergencykits.com/ and http://www.hurricanestore.com/kits.html?gclid=COrIxPeW740CFQgZhgodYQs2Kw

cezanne
August 11th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Batteries
Water
TP
Propane for the grill (if it's still there)

Karen
August 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Sue, I bought a bathtub stopper today, too. Had one but it slowly leaks. Oh wow, so body mint really works! Thanks cuz I have wondered but never knew. Now I am wondering if I use it and eat two fat cloves of raw garlic several days in a row, if it can even work for that. sure will be a fun experiment to try.

I got myself a crank flashlight today. we have crank radios and they have a weak LED light, so figured a better one made sense.

Garbage cans that don't stink, large 3or or so gallon ones are great for storing water in to use to flush the toilet. I found some on sale a few years back and so that's taken care of.

Bottle coffee isn't cheap so I have instant coffee and the powdered creamer. I think I can handle anything as long as I have my caffeine. :D

Bought cans of our favorite chunky soups today, and plenty of tuna. The dog and cats have extra food, and we have extra baby wipes, and will gas the car Monday or tuesday. the yard's mowed, but I feel like I'll get an urge to do things I"m forgetting when Monday arrives.

I bought one case of bottled water and will get more. I can't remember when I bought even my newer cases, but they won't be wasted cuz once the water's off it's amazing how many uses we realize we had for water. It will all get used.

Great ideas, thanks, y'all.

tutusue
August 11th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Forgot to mention...I scanned important docs (SS card, birth certificate, brief medical history, drivers license), burned 'em on a CD and vacuum sealed the CD in plastic with my Foodsaver! It stays in the hurricane kit. If it ends up floating down Ala Moana the finder will have a field day with stealing my identity! :D

SusieMisajon
August 12th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Not just for pandemics...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=8798&highlight=pandemic

tutusue
August 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Now, how did my morning, sluggish brain know, prior to reading your reply, that you'd reference your beloved pandemic, Susie? :D

mel
August 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Forgot to mention...I scanned important docs (SS card, birth certificate, brief medical history, drivers license), burned 'em on a CD and vacuum sealed the CD in plastic with my Foodsaver! It stays in the hurricane kit. If it ends up floating down Ala Moana the finder will have a field day with stealing my identity! :D

If you have a gmail account or something like that you can email those scans to yourself as an attachment and its stored on a server far, far away from Hawaii.

craigwatanabe
August 12th, 2007, 10:11 AM
A small container of unscented Clorox...
16 drops to a gallon of water...let sit for 30 min...will make tainted water drinkable albeit with a slight bleach taste. I'd rather taste bleach than get sick! I was looking into buying water purification tablets but the majority of what I read said bleach is...the best...the cheapest...the most effective.

Oh, and I bought a bunch of space blankets for $1.99 each at Sports Authority.

In my survival class in the military we were taught to use only three drops per gallon. One way to get clean water with Clorox is to use your drip coffee maker. Pour the chlorinated water thru a coffee filter to take out the sediment and let it drip into your carafe. Better yet keep a few new carbon filters available from pet stores. Put your coffee filter in the basket first then put the charcoal activated carbon filter on top then pour the chlorinated water thru it letting the purified water (minus the chlorine and sediement) drip into the carafe.

I keep several large (the biggest I could find at Walmart) tarps and tiedown ropes in the shed. If a hurricane hits and takes off your roof or parts of it and your house is still intact including your expensive furniture and Plasma TV set but exposed to the elements from a gaping hole in your ceiling, a large tarp covering the opening will help keep your things you cherish dry. If the hole is too large you can then use those tarps to cover most items within your home.

I also keep a strong power inverter handy with a long extension and a powerful wet/dry vacuum handy. When there's no power and your carpet is soaking wet from a gaping hole, you can power up your vacuum thru your car's battery and inverter to suck up the muck before it drys and molds up your home.

Surviving the storm is one thing, cleaning up is the bastard of storms.

SusieMisajon
August 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Now, how did my morning, sluggish brain know, prior to reading your reply, that you'd reference your beloved pandemic, Susie? :D
Because you love me.

Karen
August 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Tarps! dang I bet we don't even own two, or only that. I have six rolls of duct tape but thanks! tarps, we need more of them.

tutusue
August 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM
If you have a gmail account or something like that you can email those scans to yourself as an attachment and its stored on a server far, far away from Hawaii.
Oh, good idea. I can do that with my maxemail account!

adrian
August 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Trust me, you don't want to be working retail when there is a warning or watch. It's just crazy at Costco, Sams, and the Grocery stores. I've seen 3 pallets of bottled water go out in less than 2 1/2 hours.
Trust me, I didn't want to work during the 4th of July week.

I wonder if Walmart still has those bottled waters for cheap? :D

adrian
August 12th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Maybe the people (me included) who has domains can help by turning our unused space to host people's important stuff.

Karen
August 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Could people send such personal things to you even if they didn't know you, and have confidence that they'd have privacy? I bet you are a wonderful person, but when people don't know a person, they just don't. How would that work? It sure is thoughtful and generous of you, but man are we all scared of the dang identity theft problem, ya know?

Hotmail and gmail do offer huge amounts of space these days, even for free. I have eight pages of saved emails in one box and it says I'm using a really small amount of my alotted space.

Palolo Joe
August 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Never mind.

lavagal
August 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Wasn't East Honolulu one of the last areas to come back on? I think the top of Waialae Nui ridge was *the* last...the following day. Parts of Kakaako didn't light up until after 11p whereas Makaha was up and running about 8 hours earlier. I drove from Portlock to Kakaako around 10p and it was pitch black all the way to Kahala. From Kahala to Kakaako the lights were partially on. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to when the electricity returned altho' there probably was was within HECO!

I remember when the lights came on...about 11:45 p.m. the whole house lit up, and I must have jumped two feet off of my bed in response! the peace had ended. I walked around and adjusted all the digitals and shut out the lights before going back to sleep.

helen
August 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Picked up canned food today at Sam's Club. So I am pretty much set in that area. It didn't seem any different at either Sam's Club or Wal-Mart this afternoon.

Peshkwe
August 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Check the meds and get refills if needed, then gather them in one location for easy grabbing if you have to bug out.

glossyp
August 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
A lot of excellent tips in this thread. I went to Longs yesterday and things were fairly quiet. I'm not sure if people are prepared or were taking a wait and see approach. If you've been waiting and seeing, it's time to take action. You never regret over-preparing. If the worst happens and we end up without power, we'll all be spending a lot of time outdoors, so mosquito coils (or citronella candles) will help make it more comfortable outside and a large bottle of whiskey to sip around the bbq is always welcome.

I almost forgot, keep sufficient cash on hand in the event that atms, credit cards, banks, etc. are not working, off-line or closed.

jkpescador
August 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM
That's good glossyp. Make sure when you have cash that's it's in small bills too. Often times vendors won't have change.

My friend said key cell phone sites may be up so charge your phone. He also said texting would be better than calling.

helen
August 13th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Picked up more batteries from Costco today. Granted the person in front of me at the check out stand was buying D and C cell batteries while I was buying AA and 9 volt batteries the overall mood of the customers seem to be not in panic mode.

Glen Miyashiro
August 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM
If you need D-sized batteries and you only have C-cells, you can make 'em fit with an adapter that costs only a few quarters. Actually it is a few quarters. :D

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/ctodadapter

lavagal
August 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
At 5 p.m. Costco Hawaii Kai was jumping like it was the day before Christmas! The parking lot was bumper to bumper. City Mill Hawaii Kai is out of propane. I tried to get my two spares filled but someone drove by me in the lot and let me know before I carted them in.

craigwatanabe
August 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
At the Hilo Home Depot, all the cheap 4x8 plyboard sheets were sold out. What makes me think in a couple of days we'll see those sheets come back as returns with nail holes in em:rolleyes:

We sold out on generators, propane bottles, D-cell batteries and C-cell Maglites. One of the more posh hotels in Waiakoloa made a phone order and bought out ALL OF OUR C-cell flashlights. They said they were gonna distribute them to all of their hotel patrons. Wow, the cheap Eveready 2-D cell plastic flashlight twin pack with four D-cell batteries weren't good enough I guess.

Ho man the flashlights were selling like iPhones on the first day of release. I couldn't bring them down fast enough. People were scrambling for them as the cases were coming off the shelves.

hifotog
August 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
you know...whats going to be mo scary is when everybody is monitoring the big isle and IF Flossie's wrath is bad...esp in the morning per the news reports, EVERYBODY...especially on Oahu are going nuts and clog up the roads, hitting gas stations, Costcos, Longs, picking up the kids early instead of lettin um catch DABUS!!! Garens going be WORSE than pau hana friday or Day aftah Thankgiving at shopping malls. FYI....I used to work at a photo concession and was located at the OLD brick bldg at Kewalos next to the "tower". When Iniki or Iwa (forget aready..getting old!) passed by, I actually couldnt open up the lab door to exit...the force of the winds was tremendous!!

jkpescador
August 13th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Just got back from Wal-Mart. The flashlight, battery, toilet paper, and water sections were bad. People still buy Aquafina ... :) The camping section was hit pretty hard too. All the stuff I bought a couple months ago were gone.

I bought some soda, toothpaste for the kid, as well as some diapers. I also bought more Pool Shock. I think I'll fill up my rubbish can if I have to and throw some pool shock in there to keep the mosquitos away and make it smell better. I also bought a waterproof bag from the camping section to store some of our more important items.

Earlier in the evening we went to Costco. The water section and canned good s section were where people were at. Batteries were selling at a good paste. We just bought some dry items like cereals and breakfast bars. We also bought more wipes per the advice on HT. :)

Palolo Joe
August 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Made my Wal-Mart stop last night.

Not too crowded, and I got all the gear I needed.

Those 9V flashlights for $4 were a good deal.

Anyone know what the generator situation is like?

SusieMisajon
August 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I cannot believe that people wait til the last minute!!

Poor people must be writing bad checks.

Karen
August 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Generators sound so wise to have, but what bugs me is the gas for them. Can you safely store gas? or can gas stay right in the generator, or does it get old and cause problems? How much gas can a typical, household gen. hold, and then how long can it run on it? Are they great for just one day, but if you are without power a week after a storm, oh man....do generators then become useless cuz you couldn't store enough fuel for them? I've always wondered and never seriously considered buying one.

helen
August 13th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I just came from the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart. They still have batteries (AA, AAA and I guess 9 volt) at various places around the store. Toilet paper stocks were lower than it was yesterday but they still had if you are willing to buy the 4 roll packs.

All the cheap flashlights are gone as well as the space blankets at the camping section.

Toothbrush selection was kind of limited which sort of surprised me, but toothpaste selection was varied.

They ran out of Era. I am going to go back and pick up some liquid Tide instead and some masking tape that I forgot to pick up the first time.

GeckoGeek
August 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Generators sound so wise to have, but what bugs me is the gas for them. Can you safely store gas? or can gas stay right in the generator, or does it get old and cause problems?

Sta-bil is the answer. Yes, you can store it, if you have a house. Forget it if you live in an apartment.

How much gas can a typical, household gen. hold, and then how long can it run on it?

Check the specs. They are usually good for several hours for a tank. Don't forget your car uses the same fuel. A siphon hose would be a good investment - the kind with a built in hand pump to get it started. Only run the generator when you need power. While we're used to it 24/7, we don't absolutely require it that much.

GeckoGeek
August 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM
My addition to my emergency kit? A deck of cards. :D

Seriously. Very practical.

helen
August 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Picked up liquid Tide, masking tape, some C batteries and 2 gallon jug. I might pick up a second 2 gallon jug tomorrow, use these jugs for non-drinking water storage.

Vanguard
August 14th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Optimally, how does one prepare for a hurricane insurance-wise?

This bit of news that came to light after Katrina was disturbing to me;

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/insurance/2007-01-24-state-farm_x.htm

Haggling over water and wind. Did these people simply choose the wrong insurance agency? Would getting the very best home insurance + flood insurance be the best thing to do?

craigwatanabe
August 14th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I have Hurricane insurance. In Hawaii it's wise for any homeowner to have that and Earthquake insurance as well.

Make sure your homeowners insurance covers flooding as hurricane insurance probably won't cover rising water...falling water they'll cover but water coming up they won't even if it's from the same source...so...get flood insurance as well.:rolleyes: :mad:

One of my co-workers just bought a new car the other day and State Farm insurance told him they would refuse to insure his car until after Flossie passes.

WHAT? Now that is real CHICKEN SH*T. I told him to call AIG.

GeckoGeek
August 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Haggling over water and wind. Did these people simply choose the wrong insurance agency?

I think the article explained it. They were insured against wind damage, but not flood. In that case, how the home got destroyed become important.

craigwatanabe
August 14th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I wished there was a single house insurance that covers any type of damage to the house as long as the homeowner didn't intentionally cause it.:confused: :mad:

Miulang
August 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Interesting info (http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=33173)about computers, hard drives and what can happen to them in a hurricane from a survivor of Iniki.

Miulang

craigwatanabe
August 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM
And to think I always thought hard drives were sealed units.:rolleyes:

Pomai
August 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
At the Hilo Home Depot, all the cheap 4x8 plyboard sheets were sold out. What makes me think in a couple of days we'll see those sheets come back as returns with nail holes in em:rolleyes:Just curious, has anyone noticed any modified store policies for emergency preparedness-related items?

Such as...

NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES ON (open or unopened):
Bottled Water
Canned Foods
Toilet Paper
Flashlights
Batteries
Plywood
Sand bags
Masking Tape
Power Generators
Coolers
etc.

???

After the storm passes, there will be those who otherwise don't really have room or want to stockpile such items around their home or apartments and might try to return them. Especially date-sensitive items like disposable batteries, or bulky items like cases of bottled of water or multiple packs of toilet paper.

Really, they should hold on to these things at least until the end of November when Hurricane season ends.

We are. After that, we'll probably end up consuming it for daily use.

helen
August 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
That letter to the editor is incorrect on a few things.

Hurricanes are higher pressure systems (remember the eye or calm part is the lower pressure part of a hurricane)
I can believe the external electronics (which is exposed) of a disk drive being disabled by salt but not inside the sealed disk platters.
I can believe the media surface of floppies and Zip disk being harmed by salt since those are not sealed.

I am guessing that this person is assuming that a computer tower and the internal hard drive inside of that tower is the same thing.

Then again computers in the early 1990s were around the 10Mbyte range, way different from today's hard drives.

craigwatanabe
August 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I overheard one sales associate tell a customer who jokingly told him that if the storm passes he'll returnt he plywood that we wouldn't take it back with nail holes in them.

Whether it's true or not I don't think it's a nice thing to return items after it's been used for it's intended purpose.

We see a lot of returns everyday, sometimes we have to use our descretion and take each return on a case by case basis. One guy actually returned all of his concrete form pins (square metal stakes used to set up the wooden concrete forms) after he finished his concrete pour. At least try to remove the dirt and splattered concrete before attempting this.

He bitched and yelled to the point where we finally just took it back just to shut this bastard up. As he left I told another co-worker that God has a place for assholes like that. I made sure he heard that remark too.

Now I can see if you bought it, put it in your garage and kept it dry and returned it the next day unused. But some people buy a generator, take it camping then return it Monday saying it didn't work for them and get their money back. Why in the world we have a rental department is beyond me. Why rent when you can buy and return for free. I don't know how some people can wake up in the morning and look at themselves in the mirror and believe they did nothing wrong and go thruout the day with no guilty feelings.

After working retail for three years I've come to the conclusion that Hell will be a crowded place.:mad:

Lei Liko
August 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Our kit's been well stocked since the great power outage of 2006 so luckily all we had to pick up was water and a few miscellaneous items from the store.

While my mom was loading the cases of water in her cart, I went and got 4 bottles of wine. 2 reds, 2 white -- just in case my preferred grape taste changed in the event Flossie hit. Aaaaand my carton of cigarettes. I got a lot of stares as walked through the aisles and had a chuckle when a guy saw my 'necessities' and proceeded to do the same thing. ;)

acousticlady
August 14th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I haven't chimed in on the whole hurricane discussion, but trust me, it's not that I haven't been aware or haven't cared. As to prep - I grew up in hurricane alley. It's been drummed into my head - always be prepared (my Dad must have been a boy scout). Seriously though. I am always ready for a hurricane. And I'm always aware of storm conditions. Never trust a storm. I been through enough storms to know. Don't trust em till they're gone. When this is all over I'll tell you the story of the 1-2-3 punch of Francis, Jean and Charlie.

I will add that when I was little all hurricanes were named after girls. I once asked why and was told it was because hurricanes, like girls are unpredictable.

helen
August 14th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Long's Drugs at Ala Moana still have their stock of batteries, in fact there were overflowing with packs of 6 to 8 AA batteries by Duracell that had some sort of earphone like device in the package.

Picked up a better portable radio at Radio Shack tonight. They too have batteries in stock.

Star of Gladness
August 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM
After working retail for three years I've come to the conclusion that Hell will be a crowded place.:mad:

do you think there will be a line to get in?

GeckoGeek
August 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM
It is correct that "sealed" hard drives do have vents. But they have filters. I'm not sure as I buy the rest of the story. I don't know about salt, but perhaps there is a point about the humidity being forced into the unit because of the sudden pressure change.

In terms of computer design, Iniki was a very long time ago. I did maintain a computer system over there. That computer survived just fine. But it was one of industrial strength design. Something like 500MB. (It was part of a mini/super mini computer) Not like the usual 30MB found in PCs of the day.

Leo Lakio
August 15th, 2007, 05:57 AM
do you think there will be a line to get in?Do like I do; live a life that gets you a guaranteed advance reservation. For an entire wing of suites. I have a number of friends planning to join me. You want in, too? :cool:

Serenity
August 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/pr5.php

Hurricane Information -

A Must to read!!.