PDA

View Full Version : I personally collect (blank)

Pua'i Mana'o
August 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
What crap/clutter/collectibles do you seek out, purchase, store and enjoy?

Me: books/pictures/historical records
husband: anything that says Snap-On or Craftsman
kids: non-memorable plastic stuff that hurts when stepped on. Ma and Dad are diligently trying to turn them on to books and tools, heh.

tutusue
August 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Anything in or on which my dad's picture and/or name appear...
Aloha shirts...those I like, not necessarily those of value...
Robin Williams DVDs...I'd love to collect everything in which he's appeared on-camera. I'm getting close...

adrian
August 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
files! Either on discs or hard drives, I collect choke computer files.

cynsaligia
August 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
make-up is one thing i collect. i have probably 20 lipsticks/lipglosses, twenty eyeshadows, eight blushes, five different foundations (all differing in coverage), maybe 12 - 15 different bottles of nail polish, three mascaras, three concealers, 14 perfumes/body sprays, two containers of loose powder....

and that's not including the palettes, which have eyeshadow/blush/lipstick. i think i have two of those...maybe more. i also have one lipstick palette.

in my defense, i shuffle back and forth between my place and the beau's so i feel a need for redundancy of sorts (tho none of my make up items are repeats except for eyeliner or eyebrow pencil or something like that).

*waaaaaaaaaaaaaah* i just realized that i'll probably have to put at least half my makeup in storage when i move out!!! ugh, that saddens me. :(

************************************************** ***********************************************

i had a passion for collecting men.... hee hee. but i stopped about four and a half years ago.

buzz1941
August 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Model aeroplanes. Aviation and home-repair books. 3-D photos of the Russo-Japanese War.

acousticlady
August 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Way too much! Books - I have so many I could start my own library. In fact, my house looks like a library. Bookshelves in every room.

Turtles, dolphins and bears - these I collect because I once mentioned I liked them and everyone keeps giving them to me as gifts so I wouldn't dare get rid of them.

mel
August 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm a pack rat living in too small of a space.

Stuff I collect:

DVD Movies & TV Shows - 350 + counting
Compact Discs - Music & Data
MP3 Music files
Photographs - thousands, analog & digital
Macintoshes - thinned out some of em
Still cameras - digital and film
Old Coins - fortunately suspended
Vinyl LPs & 45s

Everything has value.

infinitypro
August 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm a dumper...if anything I collect memories.

oceanpacific
August 11th, 2007, 10:29 PM
1) vinyl LPs, EPs, and 45s;
2) sheet music, song books;
3) vintage electric guitars;
4) vintage guitar amplifiers (tube models preferred);
5) DVDs/tapes of old television series and movies (M*A*S*H; Dick Van Dyke; Captain Midnight; Ramar of the Jungle; I Love Lucy; Perry Mason; The Fugitive; Hawaii 5-0; etc.
6) television and radio broadcasts of UH sports;
7) game programs and media guides of local sports (UH, high school);
8) old high school annuals (yearbooks).

We all have our interests and idiocyncrasies ..............

cezanne
August 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I like to collect and restore old tools and fishing reels. I still have a few model planes.

Karen
August 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Photos, especially of relatives, books, email addresses but only of folks I'm connected to in some way, quality tshirts meaning they can be laundered fifty times and not become crap, things with a strawberry theme, and things with a country craft flair about them, that I pick up at craft fairs.

CranBeree
August 12th, 2007, 06:06 AM
i collect my children's art work or stuff they made for me when they were little. hm..my little one is still little..heh...so stuff of hers and my teen i still have things of....at one time i used to collect hippos, i had over 40 hippos, they're almost all gone now... but my oldest.decided at 5 yrs old she would make me this hippo...with clay? and it looked more like a giraffe....it was supposed to be an ornament (i think)..i still have it to this day.

i also have her very fisrt school (kawaihao) work at when she drew the Hawaiian islands and wrote which one were which :)

Keanu
August 12th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Hmm, I'm gonna go with Panties.

1stwahine
August 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Den mine is Bebe Deeze!!:p

Auntie Lynn

tutusue
August 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM
i collect my children's art work or stuff they made for me when they were little.[...]
Oh, that's a good one! I saved all the little clay and plaster of paris mementos my kids made in school. There are 2 clay animals that I have no idea what they are but they are very artistic and clever. Love 'em. They've been on display in my living room ever since the early 70s as have the others! Those items are absolutely priceless.

Pua'i Mana'o
August 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM

you buggah. I just spilled my coffee reading that.

Erika Engle
August 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cannot (won't try to) top the panties/bebe deeze refs ...

:eek: :D

I collect cookbooks. Didn't start out meaning to, but given the number of them in my house, it seems an irrefutable fact. I also collect recipes I find online and have stored hundreds on my computer (have two discfuls of back-up files ... somewhere). Those I have printed out are in sheet protectors in a very analog 3-ring binder.

I also collect CDs of artists I love. I usually go for greatest hits collections (more bang for the buck), but there are some albums I simply must have in their entirety (Frampton Comes Alive; anything by Santana -- except for his odd fusion phase; and some by ZZ Top that I have yet to acquire).

I won't buy a CD for one cut, unless it's a used CD and it's super-cheap.

Speaking of Santana, I was reading in one of the online radio/records trades the other day (R&R?) that he's coming out with an "ultimate" greatest hits collection. What, is it gonna be like, 5 discs' worth? ;)

craigwatanabe
August 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Hey no stealing from the wash lines eh? That's cheating!:D

When I got married I had to throw out my panty momento's. Oh the single life...what a life that was;)

Me, I collect tools. Yep can't have enough cordless tools. The sad part is that I work in the Hardware department at Home Depot. :(

Leo Lakio
August 12th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Recorded music. Still got about 2000 vinyl LPs, some 2800 home-made cassettes, and I think I've hit nearly 4000 CDs.

And lots of books - entire wall of the living room is bookshelves that are crammed full...but I'm better at getting rid of them than I used to be.

tikiyaki
August 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Tikis, Tiki Mugs Tiki / Vintage Hawaiiana paraphenalia. Especially stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Also newer art from the current Tiki artists, like SHAG and others.

Mid Century Modern (50's 60's 70's) Furniture, lamps, stuff.

Cheap Guitars...everyone likes to collect vintage Gibson and Fender....I collect cheap guitars instead.

Trying to cut down on my collecting tho and go more minimalist.

A nice quote from The Fonz on Happy Days when he was moving out of the Cunninghams garage and had only one box on the table. Richie asks "That's ALL your stuff?" Fonz says "Yea, the more stuff you own, the more it owns you"

Nice one.

craigwatanabe
August 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Tikis, Tiki Mugs Tiki / Vintage Hawaiiana paraphenalia. Especially stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Also newer art from the current Tiki artists, like SHAG and others.

Mid Century Modern (50's 60's 70's) Furniture, lamps, stuff.

Cheap Guitars...everyone likes to collect vintage Gibson and Fender....I collect cheap guitars instead.

Trying to cut down on my collecting tho and go more minimalist.

A nice quote from The Fonz on Happy Days when he was moving out of the Cunninghams garage and had only one box on the table. Richie asks "That's ALL your stuff?" Fonz says "Yea, the more stuff you own, the more it owns you"

Nice one.

At Home Depot in Hilo we're selling Tiki's for the gardens

GypsyLika
August 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary items/stuff ~ but anything HD is pretty much cool.:cool:

GeckoGeek
August 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
<sigh> what don't I collect? I really shouldn't read this thread. It might give me ideas.

Junque. I collect junque. :D

I really wish I could link to the song "Sellin' all my junk on eBay" (done to the tune of "Sittin' on the dock of the bay".)

Leo Lakio
August 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Tikis, Tiki Mugs Tiki / Vintage Hawaiiana paraphenalia.Speaking of...check your PMs.

lavagal
August 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM
1. Cookbooks! I'm now on the hunt for a really comprehensive one for pressure cookers.
2. Hair conditioners. Having been a life-long victim of naturally curly hair that can either look fried or divine on any given day, I have become a hair improvement industry.
3. Children's art work.
4. Photos of my beautiful children.
5. Congratulatories letters or kudos from fans or superiors.
6. Clips of my stories.
7. Bowls. I'm a sucker for something that can be cradled in my grip and can hold a substantial amount of ice cream or gazpacho!
8. Several colors of the same shirt that looks great on me.
9. Ditto with pants.
10. Bandanas for mopping up sweat.
11. Yoga mats. I have 5: green, pink, blue, purple, lime green. ommm.

Surfingfarmboy
August 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM
1. Crazy Shirts. I'm not sure how many I have, but I can say I have at least 150 of them, most of them never worn. The oldest ones date to around 1984. Two of the very few non-Crazy Shirts to make it into this collection are a "Whack Whack" T-shirt from HT's very own 1stwahine and a "Hawaii Threads" T-shirt, which was a prize (donated by pzarquon) that I won for coming in first place in one of Scrivener's trivia contests.

2. Coins. I specialize in early 20th century American issues, mainly the Buffalo five cent coin, the Standing Liberty twenty-five cent coin (complete set 1916-30, including 18/17 overdate) and the Winged Liberty ("Mercury") ten cent coin. I have a few of the gold and early commemorative issues from that era....all of them incredible works of art by themselves. And to round out the collection, I have a pretty decent collection of Maundy sets from the UK.

3. Marathon medals. Number of medals in the collection currently stands at 20. Honolulu (7 medals) and Boston (6 medals) are the most common medals found in the set. All twenty were earned.

scrivener
August 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
a "Hawaii Threads" T-shirt, which was a prize (donated by pzarquon) that I won for coming in first place in one of Scrivener's trivia contests.
The last one was a year ago. I wonder if it's time for another.