Essential Oil Reed Diffusers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Oil Reed Diffusers

We picked up an essential oil reed diffuser today at Borders ($19.99 USD) and I totally love it! So much so that I’ve been scouring the Internet for instructions on how to make this myself. So far, I’ve only come across one website that is very specific on the proportions for oils and ingredients to use. I may use this as a launching point, but I was wondering if anyone else knows of other sites that provide instructions on DIY projects like this using essential oils and herbs? I think it’s a much safer alternative to harsh chemicals and if I can make it myself it’ll be cheaper than buying it ready-made at retail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,
    Donna

Re: Essential Oil Reed Diffusers

I'd love to see this as well. I cannot bring myself to pay what retailers want me to shell out for this kind of product. I'd really like scents like lavender, mint, rosemary, lemon, lime, basil...Of course, I could just step out into the yard and get that!
    Keep us posted Miss Donna Reed Difuser User.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Thanks, Lavagal, I will definitely keep you posted on my search for the perfect recipe for homemade reed diffusers!

Comment

Huh? A what? Wazz it do?

It doesn't use electricity, so I'm clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Huh? A what? Wazz it do?

It doesn't use electricity, so I'm clueless.
          ...and why is it essential? Tools and HD TVs are essential. Oil reed diffusers...

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
            ...and why is it essential? Tools and HD TVs are essential. Oil reed diffusers...
            Good point, cezanne!

Wikipedia is much better at explaining what a reed diffuser is, so here's the definition:
            Reed diffusers are a method of distributing scented oil throughout an environment for the purposes of aromatherapy. Usually a dozen or more bamboo or willow /rattan reeds are placed in the mouth of the container of the oil, so that the tips tend to array in a circular pattern. Some companies now offer botanical capillaries such as marsh reed, star bamboo, toko grass. These are very attractive and offer variety to the consumer. The reeds transfer the scent up to the surrounding air by capillary action. This is much like a celery stick that wicks up water.
            Basically, it's all the benefits of a scented candle without the flame.
            Last edited by Donna; August 12, 2007, 09:05 PM. Reason: Corrected a misspelling

Comment

Just guessing, but it sounds like they need to be hollow, like straws, but not have too big a inside diameter. Or perhaps the inside is filled with something that the oil can move though. I'd study the one you bought and see how you can duplicate it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Just guessing, but it sounds like they need to be hollow, like straws, but not have too big a inside diameter. Or perhaps the inside is filled with something that the oil can move though. I'd study the one you bought and see how you can duplicate it.
                The one I have has a bunch of bamboo sticks. Basically, a bamboo bbq skewer with no sharp point.
                -kp!

Comment

More so than the reeds, I'd like to find "recipes" to make the blend of essential oil for these diffusers. Reeds specifically for this purpose can be purchased pretty cheaply on eBay and other online stores, but everyone seems to be pretty secretive about their concoctions for the oils. I can understand why, since they can easily charge $15+ for a "kit" when the materials probably only cost about $5.

Comment

Sounds like a fun project to experiment with. You've got me intrigued, and I may play around with it too, now that I'm in a new classroom that smells like bug spray. Make sure you take pictures so you can put up a how-to at Instructables!

I think I would start with those extracts you get at candy-making supply stores. Is there any water at all in those oils you purchase for the diffuser, or do you think it's all oil and whatever you put in it?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here ya go:

http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/rdiffuse.asp

Comment

Here's where to get the perfume grade dipropylene glycol:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/dipropylene_glycol.htm

Maybe set up a meet and split it between whoever is interested in trying to make some.

By the way, you can also use Vodka or Gin to cut your fragrance oils so they wick up better if you want to do smallish experiments with food type flavorings you'd find in the baking section of the store.
                        Last edited by Peshkwe; August 13, 2007, 06:46 PM. Reason: by the way

Comment

Working...
                        X