How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: Local Former WWE Wrestler Dies

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
      Brian Adams, wasn't he from Kona?

AOL Story

WWE Website

Only 43... so young. RIP Brian...
      He used to own Gold's Gym here in Kona I believe.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Met him and got his autograph a couple years ago at a house show he was promoting at the Blaisdell. I enjoyed his WCW stint much better when he slimmed down what was his tag team called Kronk or something like that?

Aj

Comment

I remember him as CRUSH and joining DEMOLITION, the former WWF world tag-team champs with AXE and SMASH ..........

43 ....... oh, that is young .............

Comment

Just saw the obit for TOR KAMAKA, who passed away in Canada at age 71. He was on 50th State Wrestling during the late '60s through the '70s. Initially, he wrestled under his given name, McRONALD KAMAKA, as a "preliminary boy." Later, he returned as head-lining villain TOR KAMAKA.

Aside from local grapplers CURTIS IAUKEA and NEFF MAIAVA, I wonder what happened to others who performed locally. PETER MAIVIA, LUCKY SIMUNOVICH, and SAMMY STEAMBOAT have all passed on, but what about DEAN HIGUCHI, LOU "SHOULDERS" NEWMAN, PAT "THE FIGHTING FIREMAN" MATSON, LUIGI MACERA, and KONGOZAN?

Comment

Don't forget Handsome Johnny Barand. He was my favorite. His locker room interviews was absolutely "da best." I wonder what happened to him? Is he still alive?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                Don't forget Handsome Johnny Barand. He was my favorite. His locker room interviews was absolutely "da best." I wonder what happened to him? Is he still alive?
                I found this absolutely fascinating website owned by Dutch Savage. Most of the questions he's asked by fans seem to be about wrestling stars in the 1960-70s, before the time of Vince McMahon, and when the name Dutch Savage was well known in the professional wrestling world.

There are various and sundry rumors about Handsome Johnny Barend's fate (including some notes that he must have died from a heart attack), but this wrestling fan indicates that he's still alive and living quietly in Avon, NY. And there is a listing in the Avon, NY phone directory for a "John Barend".

Question:
                I read your reply to a question about Handsome Johnny Barend. You heard that he had passed. I'm happy to let you know that he is alive and well in Avon NY
                Steve in Rochester NY
                "Well thank you, Steve, that is great news. I'm very glad Johnny is still with us. He was one of the hottest properties that Ed Francis ever had in Hawaii. John was one of the first to ever invent a group of wrestlers called a "Rat Pack". Some of the things he did on TV were just outrageous and years ahead of their time. Many have tried to imitate Barrend's style of charisma, but have failed miserably over the years. Anyone who ever worked with Johnny knows what a class act he was and still is. Avon, New York is a better place because Johnny is living there. I wish him good health and the best wishes I can send. Does he have a web site or address????
                Again thanks, Steve,,,, Dutch"
                Interesting that many of the wrestling stars featured on 50th State Wrestling also travelled the Pacific NW circuit, too, including Ed Francis.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; August 14, 2007, 09:45 PM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  Just saw the obit for TOR KAMAKA, who passed away in Canada at age 71. He was on 50th State Wrestling during the late '60s through the '70s. Initially, he wrestled under his given name, McRONALD KAMAKA, as a "preliminary boy." Later, he returned as head-lining villain TOR KAMAKA.

Aside from local grapplers CURTIS IAUKEA and NEFF MAIAVA, I wonder what happened to others who performed locally. PETER MAIVIA, LUCKY SIMUNOVICH, and SAMMY STEAMBOAT have all passed on, but what about DEAN HIGUCHI, LOU "SHOULDERS" NEWMAN, PAT "THE FIGHTING FIREMAN" MATSON, LUIGI MACERA, and KONGOZAN?
                  Lee Cataluna's column today memorializes Tor Kamaka:
                  In the late 1970s in Hawai'i, professional wrestling was more than sport, more than entertainment — it was a phenomenon. Crowds packed the Blaisdell Arena and families waited up together on Friday Nights to watch Big Time Wrestling matches on KGMB-TV. Little boys wanted to be just like their favorite wrestlers. They practiced moves like the Atomic Drop on the playground equipment. Tor Kamaka, 5-feet-10 and 350 pounds, evil sneer and dirty tricks, was the bad guy you cheered for. When he showed up, things were bound to get interesting.

He'd throw salt in the good guys' eyes. He'd pull a chain or some other sort of devised weaponry out of his trunks. He'd eat a goldfish during a television interview. The crowds loved it, but his grandparents weren't sure what to think.

...In Canada, Tor Kamata, as he was called, was a star of the Stampede Wrestling circuit, beloved and quoted by children. StarPhoenix columnist John Gormley wrote, Kamata "would promise the ring announcer Ed Whalen exotic gifts and silks from Japan and the Orient. But being a heel, Kamata would weasel out of his promises with the memorable words 'No chancee, Mis-tah Whalen.' This became his trademark. And, for a time, everyone from kids to teachers and even parents would often prefer the "no chancee" retort to just saying no."
                  Aloha oe, Mr. Kamaka. Welcome home.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X