No announcement yet.

Rockin' and Rollin' on the Big Island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockin' and Rollin' on the Big Island!

I just got a call from my friend on the big Island and they just had about 4 to 5 point earthquake (yes its off topic but I can't find the EQ thread right now).
    I'm still here. Are you?

Rockin' and Rollin' on the Big Island!

We're hanging out in the lounge at Hilo International Airport. We just got in after getting soaked while walking around Liliuokalani Gardens by the front edge of Flossie. "Wouldn't be a trip to Hilo without getting soaked," I told the kids.

Well, about five minutes ago, things started wobbling. "Feel that?" I asked. "What?" the kids asked, as the windows wobbled. Then, suddenly, one really good shake. The building creaked, lights swayed, and everyone gasped. (Impressively, the live band playing here barely skipped a beat.) As soon as it happened, it was over. We all caught our breath.

"Well, now our trip is complete," I said.

Checking the USGS site now. Wow. A hurricane shutting the town down and a good ol' quake. Can't top that. Not that I'd want to top that, either!

Comment

Re: Rockin' and Rollin' in Hilo!

there we were (still are, actually) watching SYTYCD and blitzed straight into the clear yard. Pele vs Flossie...damned b*tches, I tell ya!

5.3 on the richter, underneath Eden Rock...

pax

Comment

Re: Storm Systems

Ryan and his family are waiting for a flight to come back to Oahu when the quake struck. He posted on Twitter!
        http://twitter.com/home

"HOLY CRAP. EARTHQUAKE."

He's ok. I'm glad they're coming home.

Another member said it best.

"JUST FELT IT HERE TOO....earthquake on the big island...along with a hurricane. Don't think I can handle much more."

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

5.3 centered in fern forest...i think thats down near puna...5.8 miles deep....what next...???felt it strongly in captain cook....at least we are ready .....ready for just what i dont know but we can go with it either way at this point.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

We were driving from Wal mart (escaping the HHH - Hilo Hurrican Hysteria), didn't feel it cos we were driving, but got back to our building and people were outside and told us about it.

Glad I didn't feel it. Only 2 Tikis fell of the shelf, and a can of iced tea opened in the fridge, making a mess on the floor.

I guess this is my Welcome to hawaii. Never thought i'd say this, but I'm glad I'm going home next week.
            Last edited by tikiyaki; August 13, 2007, 08:12 PM.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

On one hand since it is a new event, I think this latest earthquake should have it's own thread (which Ryan already did). However the likelyhood of having two different natural disasters happening around the same time is very low but possible since the forces that drive earthquakes and hurricanes are seperate.

The scary part is that during a hurricane one should be indoors when it happens while during an earthquake one should be outdoors.
              Last edited by helen; August 13, 2007, 07:56 PM. Reason: adding a link to a thread for the earthquake

Comment

I just called my mom and sister in Honokaa. They're okay but my sister said it was a long rolling earthquake. The USGS map has one big red square covering a smaller red square down by the volcano area. The site is busy, I cannot get to the magnitude information! My friend in Hilo first alerted me to this.

OK 5.3 that is pretty big.... at least from what I read in the previous post.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Holy crap we just had a big earthquake!!

AT 7:40PM tonight august 13th, 2007 we just experienced a pretty good earthquake here in Keaau.

At first it was three small tremors then one massive jolt that knocked things off the tables and shelves. Pretty much a vertical jolt as there wasn't any swaying. Everything just went up then down, the whole house included. I'm going outside to check for damage.

Wow if the hurricane wasn't enough, this geological shaker was enough to scare the heck outta me. Oddly the electricity never flickered and is still on and I still have cell and internet capability but our landline phone service died but just came back on a few minutes ago.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Holy crap we just had a big earthquake!!

We're with ya in spirit. Craig. Thanks for the heads up and for keeping us posted when you get a chance.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

No temors felt on Oahu.

Comment

I even felt it in Kona, albeit it was pretty mild. My computer chair started to sway. I was thinking oh my gosh, here we go again. I reported it to the USGS too below. It turned out to be a 5.3 also.

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ST...ciim_form.html
                        http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...hv00025865.php
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

I just heard on the radio that the quake was centered around Kalapana, not too far from Keaau. So far no afterquakes and no damage to the home, thank God the water tanks stayed intact.

Just heard on the radio that the quake was in Kalapana with a magnitude preliminary reading of 5.3 to 5.4. There was a small landslide around the Kolekole area. It's 8:11pm and Mayor Harry Kim is on the radio giving us the heads up.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It was felt in Kona too, albeit not as severe as in East Hawaii. More info is here on this also.
                            http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...hv00025865.php

Craig, I'd report it here by the way.

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ST...ciim_form.html
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Stay tuned for more of life on the youngest place on earth! We're with ya over there, folks!
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X