Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to be part of the HT family!

Aloha, everyone!

As you can see, my name actually is Ron, and I generally prefer to use my name on a forum or anything net concerned whenever possible to make it simple, open, and something I can remember, altho that is getting harder and harder!

I try to live in Ka'a'awa, my favorite spot on Oahu, and did for nearly 20 years, but currently live in Waialua, my 2nd favorite, and enjoy a home on the best stretch of beach on the island.

I've been on Oahu since '75, since making the best move of my life.
    There's no place like Hawaii, even with all the many changes during my short time here.
    Having grown up in So. Cal, in the best place and best time for my generation's tastes, I've since come to wish that I could have lived a double life to enjoy the people and things of Hawaii during that awesome and special time many years ago that I've come to love, and try to live today.
    Aloha, really does mean something besides hello and goodbye.

My focus these day's is my various business ventures, and main interests are the (now) older styles of Hawaiian music (in particular, the Hawaiian steel guitar), which I have found to be as enjoyable and important as anything ever made, by both the known Waikiki greats, and (mostly) hidden backyard players. I've been very fortunate to become friendly and (occasionally) friends with some of the true legends of the genre, and treasure every moment that I have with these incredible people.

I hope to soon begin manufacturing and marketing a unique style of steel guitar, that if proving 'tone' worthy should give me a at least a footnote in the history books. I definitely do not crave the spotlight, but it's another way to promote something that is very dear to my heart.

You'll usually find me posting in the 'Jukebox' section, to give updates on the who's, what's, and where's of the steel guitar community. I've got 2 posts up so far, and I hope you also find interest in these things.

Ask me about steel guitar!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Glad to be part of the HT family!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Aloha, everyone!

As you can see, my name actually is Ron, and I generally prefer to use my name on a forum or anything net concerned whenever possible to make it simple, open, and something I can remember, altho that is getting harder and harder!

I try to live in Ka'a'awa, my favorite spot on Oahu, and did for nearly 20 years, but currently live in Waialua, my 2nd favorite, and enjoy a home on the best stretch of beach on the island.

I've been on Oahu since '75, since making the best move of my life.
    There's no place like Hawaii, even with all the many changes during my short time here.
    Having grown up in So. Cal, in the best place and best time for my generation's tastes, I've since come to wish that I could have lived a double life to enjoy the people and things of Hawaii during that awesome and special time many years ago that I've come to love, and try to live today.
    Aloha, really does mean something besides hello and goodbye.

My focus these day's is my various business ventures, and main interests are the (now) older styles of Hawaiian music (in particular, the Hawaiian steel guitar), which I have found to be as enjoyable and important as anything ever made, by both the known Waikiki greats, and (mostly) hidden backyard players. I've been very fortunate to become friendly and (occasionally) friends with some of the true legends of the genre, and treasure every moment that I have with these incredible people.

I hope to soon begin manufacturing and marketing a unique style of steel guitar, that if proving 'tone' worthy should give me a at least a footnote in the history books. I definitely do not crave the spotlight, but it's another way to promote something that is very dear to my heart.

You'll usually find me posting in the 'Jukebox' section, to give updates on the who's, what's, and where's of the steel guitar community. I've got 2 posts up so far, and I hope you also find interest in these things.

Howzit Ron!
    I quoted you post in order to be able to re-read it as I welcomed you. Aloha and Right on!

My very Best friend (James Morgan) lived in Ka'a'awa till he passed away more than a year ago and I love it out there too!
    I still get up the valley sometimes, but it's just not the same.

I grew up here though took off for "all" of Cali for a while. Enjoyed the places and people met there.
    Living in a '57 VW Van makes for lots of options. HaHa!

I made close friends with Jerry Byrd for the last couple of years of his life and snuck him in the goodies he requested (ice cream, Crown Royal, etc.) past his wife. Wonderful man and a terrific steel guitar player.

I wish you all the Bestest. And Alooooha! Jeff aka.-Menehune Man
    Last edited by Menehune Man; August 20, 2007, 07:24 PM.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Aloha and e komo mai to Hawaii Threads! Glad to have you here. Feel free to take a look around and keep on posting.
      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Aloha, Ron.
        Do you ever visit TaroPatch.net? The primary focus of that forum is Hawaiian music, with many threads focusing on steel guitar. Here in Seattle, I regularly play (bass and `ukulele) along with a couple of excellent and knowledgeable steel players, one of whom has lately been taking lessons from Alan Akaka, whenever possible.

Comment

Eh, right on guy's!

MM/Jeff, you certainly touched the core of my being with your mention befriending Jerry when he really needed it. My friends went to see him at the hospital, but there was no way I could do that, and keep my composure seeing him struggle when he knew it was the end. My hat is SO off to you! He is the most important person in this (so far) second half of my life, and am fortunate to have spent a year of Monday mornings with him as he taught me the basics if the steel, his life, and life in general. We all miss him, big time!

Yes! K'a'a'awa Valley. How do you top that? We still occassionally sneak in to romp around and catch those Jurrassic prawns. I watched them film scenes from 'Pearl Harbor' one day, as they flew two mocked up Zero's repeatedly thru the valley. Then saw why in the movie, as they digitally impossed all those passes into one, making an entire squadren out of two planes.

Sad to hear of your friend, James. Can't say I knew him. Was he of the the Morgan family, whom own Kualoa Ranch and most of Ka'a'awa?

Leo, thank you for the tip on the TaroPatch site. I'll be checking it out.
          Please expound on your music, where you gig, and whom the steelers are that you jam with. I may know them. Great that Alan is still teaching.
          I ran into a very nice gentleman last night as we waited for our buses home, Gene Hew-Len, family to the legendary Hew Len's, Billy and Buddy. Maybe you know him? He was obviously a Hawaiian bassist/musician, and I struck up a conversation with him, and came away with a new and classy friend. His son, Reed, is also a musician and budding steel player. Talk about making my day!

Achow, thanx for the thumbs up!

Mahalo everyone!

Comment

Please expound on your music, where you gig, and whom the steelers are that you jam with. I may know them. Great that Alan is still teaching.
            You might know some of the Seattle area players? Nice!

Most often, I work with Jack Aldrich; he's the one studying with Alan - Jack was just back in Honolulu for the steel guitar players' convention a short while back. In January, he and guitarist Kory Tideman (with whom I also play) did a number of gigs with Led, while they were visiting O`ahu. Another one up here is Al Tringali (who plays just about anything), who moved out this way from Honolulu back in April. All these folks are on TaroPatch, too.

As for me, I started learning `ukulele with a local halau (Halau Hula O Napualani, Gloria Kalamalamaka`ilialoha Napualani Fujii Nahale`a, kumu hula) several years ago, then switched to bass, as we sorely needed it. Since then, I've also been asked to join a number of other musicians to play mostly at festivals, private parties, weddings, corporate events, etc.
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 21, 2007, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hello, Ron, and welcome! I am a mainlander from the state of Colorado, and I have found this to be a friendly bunch. Two of my favorite actresses, Nicole Kidman and Kelly Preston, were born in Hawaii, and Richard Chamberlain has a home on one of the islands, although I don't recall which. My grandma went there when I was a kid, and I hope to go there someday myself. Quite frankly, you are lucky to live there.

Comment

Aloha nui! Pehea 'oe?

I hope to get back to Hawai'i Nei soon. I have been to Maui twice and love it there. 'Ae, he mokupuni nani 'o ia!

I love Hawaiian music as well, and believe it or not, I have started studying ha'i. Some of my favorites are "'Alika" and "Kalama'ula."

I hope to meet you and maybe kanikapila with you, as well as others on this board maybe. That would be so much fun!

A hui hou,
                'Alika
                'Alika

Comment

Thank you all, so much!
                  And I do hope those of you whom are not currently living in, or visiting Hawaii, get to do so ASAP, if that is what you wish.

I certainly realize how fortunate I am, and count my blessings every day!
                  There is always something new and neat to discover about this great land.

I guess I should have said I'd be seen mostly in the 'Announcing' section', to provide info towards events of interest.

L8rz!
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; August 22, 2007, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Ever come to Maui?

'Alika
                    'Alika

Comment

Not for a loooooong time, but now with the low air fares and the super ferry, there's a lot more incentive to do so again. I'll be sure to inform if the time is ever right.

Thanx for asking!

Comment

MM - I'm surprised you were able to smuggle those goodies past Kaleo's eagle eyes!
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

She busted me a couple of times and got quite perturbed.
                          Though still liked me anyways. HaHa!
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

helloooooo! welcome and nice to meet you. i like to use my real name too.
                            life is ok sometimes

Comment

Working...
                            X