No low tide today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No low tide today!

Ok, I need a little edumacation about this subject! Per our local weather reports this morning, high tide is at 11:30a and there will be NO low tide today. Why?

I'd guess that if this was some rare phenomenon a bigger deal would be made of it. However, in all of my decades of living in a beach community, today is the first time I've heard of a day with no low tide! Guess I just don't pay much attention to the weather unless it's a week like last week!

Can someone please enlighten this clueless tutu as to how we can have a high tide but no low tide during the course of one day?

Re: No low tide today!

I think think they should have said they will not be a high tide tonight. If you go to www.highsurfwarning.com and scroll down to the tide chart you will see that this evening between 8:30pm and 10:15pm the high tide will remain at same level as the previous low tide and then go back to the normal cycle of high tide and low tide. This is not a very common thing as you will notice the high tide is only an hour and a half. At least I think that is what they were trying to say.
    Last edited by D'Alani; August 21, 2007, 12:27 PM.

Comment

That's a very cool site...once I got over circuit overload!!! And, yes, I see what you mean about no high tide instead of no low tide. Since it's an unusual occurrence I'd like to hear more about it during a weathercast. How 'bout it, weathercasters?!!!

Comment

The tide (being low or high) is not being cancelled but rather got shifted to the next day. Like 12:03 am the next day (had it been 5 minutes earlier it would have been 11:59 pm today).

And the way the tides work not all places have the tide (low or high) coming in at the same time. So a place like Hilo would have the 4 tide changes in one day for both days, while a place in Lihue would have 3 tide changes in one day and 5 day tide changes the next day.

Comment

Working...
        X