Sources:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=2319453
    http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=6965255
    http://www.kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cf...12284&sid=1183
    http://www.kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cf...12306&sid=1183
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...032/SPORTS0201
    http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/21/sports/story01.html
    http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/17/sports/story02.html

Just wondering how will the book and MySpace excerpts impact or affect this season's football team, or perhaps the entire UH football program under June Jones' leadership?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: Ian Sample and "Once a Warrior"

No way could I answer or speculate. But I do think that releasing racy material via the web is a calculated marketing move on the part of Ian Sample and his publisher. Even though the publisher said there are no plans for a second printing, if demand were there, they'd surely go for another run and through the goal posts.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      No way could I answer or speculate. But I do think that releasing racy material via the web is a calculated marketing move on the part of Ian Sample and his publisher. Even though the publisher said there are no plans for a second printing, if demand were there, they'd surely go for another run and through the goal posts.
      Perhaps, but is it necessary?

If the excerpt posted on his MySpace are not in the book, why bother to disclose it? Is it to say, "Hey, we're just like any other college football team on the mainland"?

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        I don't think Ian Sample's motive for writing the book was to become an accomplished author...show him the money, so of course it was for marketing purposes.

To speculate, ahhh...
        ___
        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Perhaps, but is it necessary?

If the excerpt posted on his MySpace are not in the book, why bother to disclose it? Is it to say, "Hey, we're just like any other college football team on the mainland"?
          I would say it is necessary. It would seem that Sample’s allegations are just the tip of the iceberg. His accusations are important, but small potatoes compared to this bombshell. Frankly, I would be more skeptical if it weren’t for my own personal experience with JJ and the UH athletics department. But that’s another story.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            I would say it is necessary. It would seem that Sample’s allegations are just the tip of the iceberg. His accusations are important, but small potatoes compared to this bombshell. Frankly, I would be more skeptical if it weren’t for my own personal experience with JJ and the UH athletics department. But that’s another story.
            Still, do we really need to know?

Granted, it could have cut June Jones's career in UH short, then it would be just another low for the football program history (Wagner failed to make a comeback after UH won the Holiday Bowl and von Appen coached UH to 5 victories in a three-year period).

Comment

Granted, it could have cut June Jones's career in UH short, then it would be just another low for the football program history
              I would not normally respond to this, except for some statement made by you in the "Aiea-Campbell" thread.

I find it rather strange that you would take high school-aged football players to task for getting into a fight. But at the same time, you would cut some slack to certain adults and "turn the other way" from alleged indiscretions on their part. Interesting.

Hmmmmmm, maybe I have to re-think what I said earlier about the world being a different place with your particular brand of common sense.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 30, 2007, 06:26 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                I would not normally respond to this, except for some statement made by you in the "Aiea-Campbell" thread.

I find it rather strange that you would take high school-aged football players to task for getting into a fight. But at the same time, you would cut some slack to certain adults and "turn the other way" from alleged indiscretions on their part. Interesting.

Hmmmmmm, maybe I have to re-think what I said earlier about the world being a different place with your particular brand of common sense.
                At least he tries to keep it discreet. The "footbrawl" was very public and caught on-camera.

Comment

At least he tries to keep it discreet. The "footbrawl" was very public and caught on-camera.
                  Hmmm,if Dr. Joel Fischer is to be believed, June Jones' tawdry affair wasn't kept discreet, as witnessed by some former Kaiser High students.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jfischer/advertiser.html

Interesting that you make a big deal about the "footbrawl" between Aiea-Campbell. But what about UH? Have you already forgotten about the brawls they have gotten into? No? Maybe these links will jog the old bean.

http://starbulletin.com/2002/11/24/sports/story3.html

http://starbulletin.com/2003/12/26/sports/story5.html

Both of those fights very much took place in public and were caught on camera. And in the case of the Hawaii-Houston brawl, it took place on national tv. Maybe, just maybe, some of the players involved in last week's unfortunate incident were influenced by the behavior of UH's team back then.

Note that the Warriors and their opponents consist of college students. Most (if not all) of the players involved in those brawls were over 18 and hence, adults. If anything, shouldn't they know better than high school students? So,.... why the shock and indignation over a high school football brawl when this sort of thing has happened TWICE before at UH? GMAB!
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post

Granted, it could have cut June Jones's career in UH short, then it would be just another low for the football program history (Wagner failed to make a comeback after UH won the Holiday Bowl and von Appen coached UH to 5 victories in a three-year period).
                    with the caveat clause, "if it is true..."

HEYELL YES, WE NEED TO KNOW!!

even if lily kahumoku was of age, the fact of the matter is that june jones is in a position of authority at UH. in fact, "position of authority" is an understatment. if UH policy states relationships between faculty and students are strongly discouraged, even if supposedly consensual, then definitely a sexual relationship between a star athelete of the women's volleyball team and the coach of the football team should have been, at least, STRONGLY discouraged and denounced. instead, UH just looked the other way or maybe even helped in covering it all up.

i mean, come on! as a nation, we spent millions of dollars and went through an impeachment process when clinton stuck a cigar up monica's hoohoodilly. yet some think that a married UH coach making the beast with two backs with a college athlete in a high school parking lot for high school students to view isn't our kuleana?

hey, as a former UH student and as a possible mother of a future female and nubile UH student, i want to know how the university handled this. this should be out in the open. i would want to be assured that some oojily glamorous celebrity faculty or staffer is going to be told by the administration that he can't use the campus center as hunting grounds for his extramarital appetites, and that if he does, he will suffer professionally and publicly. unfortunately, it seems that the administration did quite the opposite here, and that someone coughed up some dollas to ship lily off to another state to bear her child so that june jones' rep wouldn't be sullied and so that the UH wouldn't have to go hunting for another football coach.

*allegedly*
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The JJ/LK thing™ is a secret held throughout this archipelago. Who hadn't heard of this on every island over these last several years? Who doesn't know someone who knows the roomie/sibling/kid who saw everything? It is of genuinely urban-mythic proportions. I've mused over checking Snopes to confirm.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        Interesting that you make a big deal about the "footbrawl" between Aiea-Campbell. But what about UH? Have you already forgotten about the brawls they have gotten into? No? Maybe these links will jog the old bean.

http://starbulletin.com/2002/11/24/sports/story3.html

http://starbulletin.com/2003/12/26/sports/story5.html
                        Oh, I haven't forgotten. I just wasn't a poster here at the time.

So, do you think the Aiea-Campbell incident was directly influenced by the UH footbrawl incident that made national TV?

Comment

So, do you think the Aiea-Campbell incident was directly influenced by the UH footbrawl incident that made national TV?
                          As I said, "maybe, just maybe."

At the very least, I'm sure that many of those kids witnessed the fracas at that infamous UH-Houston Hawaii Bowl game, whether on TV or at the stadium.
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 31, 2007, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X