Who Does What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Does What?

Who does what in your household? Who? would be either/and MOM, DAD, DAUGHTER, SON, GRANDMOTHER, GRANDFATHER, ROOM MATE, or other household and family member(s).

Who pays the bills (not necessarily making the $$$, but actually writes the checks)?
    Who goes grocery shopping?
    Who takes out the trash?
    Who goes to the kids ballgames?
    Who cleans inside the house?
    Who cleans the yard?
    Who's the designated driver?
    Who's nominated the best helper (always there when you need them)?

Just to name a few duties in and around the family household. Share more and elaborate how labor in your home is tasked and distributed.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Who Does What?

I do it all. And more.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Who pays the bills (not necessarily making the $$$, but actually writes the checks)? He does.
      Who goes grocery shopping? We do.
      Who takes out the trash? He does.
      Who goes to the kids ballgames? N/A Our grandchildren are too young.
      Who cleans inside the house? We do.
      Who cleans the yard? He does.
      Who's the designated driver? He is.
      Who does the laundry? We do.
      Who takes the recyclable trash in for refunds? We don't do dat.
      Who fixes the car? He does.
      Who fixes the house? He does.
      Who "owns" the TV remote? HE DOES.
      Who "owns" the computer? We have our own.heheheh
      Who does the taxes? H&R Block
      Who cuts hair? Fantastic Sams Nuuanu
      Who plays their music too loud? lol I do!
      Who's nominated the best helper (always there when you need them)? Who you tink? I AM!!!

And das how it iz at my HALE!

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; August 24, 2007, 10:30 AM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

A few more questions to ponder....

Who does the laundry?
        Who takes the recyclable trash in for refunds?
        Who fixes the car?
        Who fixes the house?
        Who "owns" the TV remote?
        Who "owns" the computer?
        Who does the taxes?
        Who cuts hair?
        Who plays their music too loud? lol

I suppose everyone living single here (or seemingly like it) will just say "myself". But remember, "No man (or woman) is an island".
        Last edited by Pomai; August 24, 2007, 10:20 AM. Reason: I make my living off the evening news...
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The answer is "moi" to all questions that are pertinent except:

Who fixes the car? mechanic
          Who fixes the house? handyman extrordinaire
          Who does the taxes? accountant of 20 years
          Who cuts hair? hair stylist of 25 years

Comment

My answers...
            • Who pays the bills (not necessarily making the $$$, but actually writes the checks)? Both of us (girlfriend and myself)
            • Who goes grocery shopping? Mostly my girlfriend, although I'll buy produce on my stop at Ward Farmer's Market
            • Who takes out the trash? Me
            • Who goes to the kids ballgames? n/a.. although, I gotta' go out and support my nephew who's a center with the Kapolei Hurricanes. They play tomorrow at Farrington HS.
            • Who cleans inside the house? Both of us.
            • Who cleans the yard? Me and mom (at the Hawaii Kai house).
            • Who's the designated driver? Both of us, although my girlfriend's doesn't drink much, so she drives if I've had more than one
            • Who's nominated the best helper (always there when you need them)? Mom
            • Who does the laundry? Mostly my girlfriend, although I'll run stuff every now and then
            • Who takes the recyclable trash in for refunds? Mom. She's the only one willing to stand in line in the early morning and sort stuff out at that container across Hawaii Kai Towne Center. I guess it's worth that $15 she comes home with. lol
            • Who fixes the car? Me, if can. If no can, Goodyear.
            • Who fixes the house? Me. I'll fix and install anything, as long as it doesn't require major plumbing or electrical modifications that would otherwise require a licensed pro.
            • Who "owns" the TV remote? Me. Me. Me. Even when when I'm in the room with her watching TV, I hold the remote (it's a guy thing)
            • Who "owns" the computer? Me.
            • Who does the taxes? Turbo Tax
            • Who cuts hair? Me, using an electric razor (the military cut is an easy DIY'er!)
            • Who plays their music too loud? As a teenager, I was terrible about blasting heavy metal music. I don't think I ever outgrew that.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Just to name a few duties in and around the family household. Share more and elaborate how labor in your home is tasked and distributed.
              Who pays the bills (not necessarily making the $$$, but actually writes the checks)? BOTH OF US.
              Who goes grocery shopping? BOTH OF US.
              Who takes out the trash? I DO. IT'S MY FRESH-AIR BREAK EVERY EVENING.
              Who goes to the kids ballgames? BOTH OF US TAKE GIRLS TO SWIMMING, PIANO.
              Who cleans inside the house? ME.
              Who cleans the yard? WE.
              Who's the designated driver? HIM.
              Who's nominated the best helper (always there when you need them)? GRANDMA.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Ooops! I got dis question wrong!

My Son-in-law, Izzy!

He's always there whenever I need him 24/7.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

well. i was about to say i do it all since i'm just me in my household.

then i realized... i do, like, three of the things in that list.

!!
                  life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by christa View Post
                    well. i was about to say i do it all since i'm just me in my household.

then i realized... i do, like, three of the things in that list.

!!
                    Christa: Situation normal, no need to fret.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Who pays the bills (not necessarily making the $$$, but actually writes the checks)?
                      I do, I am a housewife that handles all of our business, I negotiate, change banks, insurance companies, etc, handle the headaches and I shop alone for the mortgages and even biggies. All he does is sign on the dotted lines.

I do all of the shopping except for lawn equipment, saw tables, etc...

Who takes out the trash?
                      daughter and I take turns..

I give the driving lessons and drive anyone that can't, to orthodontist, doc, etc.

I do much of that and daughter helps when home and I ask, mostly she cleans both bathrooms, pooper-scoops cat boxes, and backyard, dishes a few nights a week, and I do the rest..

Who cleans the yard?
                      We do that together, daughter and I or all three of us when hubby's home.

Hubby, if and when needed..he drives downtown, I refuse, so far. (I know, pitiful, me and my comfort zone of refusal)

daughter, 20yrs. old, last year of living home most likely, a great kid....our angel in ways

I am the laundry lady, too. however, hubby is the cook! I do not enjoy cooking and feel spoiled in this way, he enjoys it and I prefer to clean afterwards, which I do.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

slightly off topic observation (draw your own conclusions however you like--i'm sure karen would say)...

given that this was posted before:

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                        Guess the way we see it is strongly affected by who we know and what our own lives are like. I'm doing exactly what I want to do at this time, and both of my sisters are, too. I know a ton of women that are making good salaries and the married ones all, LOL...control the finances in their/our marriages, by control I mean there is no higher authority, it's a team but we women conduct all of the financial and otherwise business.

I don't have to say...I am a feminist, just keep speaking up about everything that affects me, being a kitchen table lobbyist, etc. however, even I don't want a woman president, so figure that one out.
                        I prefer male bosses, too. That's all I've ever had and the only soap opera type troubles I ever had on the job was from another female with too much time on her hands and too nosey, etc.

You bet I don't want a female president, but if ever there is one running that is clearly more respectable than any man running, I'll sigh and vote for that honorable female over the men.

A man on a pedestal? Nope, he's busy dusting and polishing the one I am on, and he made it with his own hands, then stained it with formby's, that hand rubbed coloring, LOL.

Seriously, nope, I ain't one of those poor females that will wither and die if she loses her man. I don't need a man to make me feel whole, just as I can let go of my, uh OUR two adult daughters, almost 20 and 23, as they leave the nest, and oh man, are they ready for this world! but I dunno if it is ready for them.

I am one CONFIDENT gal, and if something happens to current hubby/marriage, I do not wish to marry again. I don't feel lonely even when alone, sorry if this sounds like huge ego, but I even enjoy my own company, unlike many.

it's interesting today to see this:

I do, I am a housewife that handles all of our business, I negotiate, change banks, insurance companies, etc, handle the headaches and I shop alone for the mortgages and even biggies. All he does is sign on the dotted lines.

I do all of the shopping except for lawn equipment, saw tables, etc...

Who takes out the trash?
                        daughter and I take turns..

I give the driving lessons and drive anyone that can't, to orthodontist, doc, etc.

I do much of that and daughter helps when home and I ask, mostly she cleans both bathrooms, pooper-scoops cat boxes, and backyard, dishes a few nights a week, and I do the rest..

Who cleans the yard?
                        We do that together, daughter and I or all three of us when hubby's home.

Hubby, if and when needed..he drives downtown, I refuse, so far. (I know, pitiful, me and my comfort zone of refusal)

daughter, 20yrs. old, last year of living home most likely, a great kid....our angel in ways

I am the laundry lady, too. however, hubby is the cook! I do not enjoy cooking and feel spoiled in this way, he enjoys it and I prefer to clean afterwards, which I do.
                        i'll answer pomai's questions maybe tomorrow--eric and i are meeting a friend for drinks and dinner tonight and tomorrow, eric's friends are throwing him a bday picnic. enjoy your evening! *wink*
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

[QUOTE=ericncyn;161306]slightly off topic observation (draw your own conclusions however you like--i'm sure karen would say)...

given that this was posted before:\

Aww Cyn, what makes it "interesting" to see that, today? I AM doing just what I want....I don't have a job outside the home....by CHOICE. Our joke is that he makes the money and I spend it. He makes plenty for us to be homeowners, and me not work.

So, come again, Cyn and explain to me the "interesting" part.

Oh yeah and speaking of being off topic here....the psychology of why you would even be focused on me here is...let's say, the really interesting thing....on this entire thread. I know why...do you? I don't intimidate easily and no one on earth is more confident than I, and obviously something about me, my views and my confidence in them....got your goat on that women's lib thread. Now...be good about explaining what you found so interesting cuz I already know...you're way off base....again? as usual? you tell me which it is.....waiting in much amusement.

Enjoy your weekend....I know I will, mine.
                          Last edited by Karen; August 24, 2007, 09:31 PM.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                            1)Who pays the bills (not necessarily making the $$$, but actually writes the checks)?
                            2)Who goes grocery shopping?
                            3)Who takes out the trash?
                            4)Who goes to the kids ballgames?
                            5)Who cleans inside the house?
                            6)Who cleans the yard?
                            7)Who's the designated driver?
                            8)Who's nominated the best helper (always there when you need them)?
                            1) I write the checks though we truly share most expenses.
                            2) We both do, together or separately.
                            3) I do, solely.
                            4) We both used to. Kinda miss that.
                            5) She does most. I'm the "Dish Master".
                            6) The landscaper. (Apartment dwellers)
                            7) Only me.
                            8) Depends on who's opinion it is. HaHa!
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Hubby and I pay most of our bills online. Discussions always ensue regarding large purchases, and both of us have different pots of money with different goals. We are on the same page wrt money, honed at the knees of our "merchant class" parents/grandparents.

We have a chore list that rotates weekly. Boys and girls both share in all tasks. I like to cook, so I get pretty territorial over that duty. My husband and the kids like to sit in a circle on the floor and fold clothes, and they usually do that. As for fixing items, it depends. My husband fixes certain equipment as a trade. I fix the computers and certain electronics, because I know how, and my husband is inexperienced/a bit afraid of electricity.

We like food shopping, and that is an activity we do separately or together, several times a week for veggies and bread. We are not "costco" kind of people.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X