'Hard Slop Cafe' is moving further into Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Hard Slop Cafe' is moving further into Waikiki

Other than the "eye candy"(rock memorabilia ) of Hard Rock Cafe. What does Waikiki's Hard Rock have to offer? Many moons ago(10 yrs back),when I use to drink I'd go with friends to sit at bar and drink beer and watch surf videos from the many screens around the bar.

Today's newspaper had an article about their move further into Waikiki. I want to quote them:

"We are looking to rock Waikiki with great live music and our world-class dining experience."

Hands down, HRC's food is close to the worst served in all of Waikiki! These guys can screw up a salad!!!! So when I saw the quote up above I felt compelled to respond!

Can anybody name a good plate from their menu?

Re: 'Hard Slop Cafe' is moving further into Waikiki

Embarrassingly, I've never stepped foot in that joint, and for years to now I live just a block away.

So their new location on Beach Walk will occupy 12,500 square feet of space, which is quite sizable. It will likely be a good move, taking into account what they're paying per square foot for their current location, which is probably not much less than what they'll be paying down the road, with the benefit of much more foot traffic.

I'm curious what will take over that property across the Convention Center when they leave. Jack in the Box, perhaps? Or how about another Chinese buffet? Or maybe Femme Nu will move there.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I haven't stepped foot inside of Hard Rock Cafe even though I was born and raised here on O'ahu. How's the food?
      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by achow View Post
        I haven't stepped foot inside of Hard Rock Cafe even though I was born and raised here on O'ahu. How's the food?
        I always considered the food as generic American, like Chilis, AppleBees, etc.

As for what becomes of the old spot, I'm cheering for rail station if that thing ever gets built.

Comment

Been there 3 times in over 13yrs. and found the food fresh and good, the classic rock was loud enough and good enough for me, the patio afforded old friends to talk for several hours, and it sure wasn't slop.

I did have one small complaint. Last time I was there they were trying too hard to please everyone, so there was a "local" music hour, and I forget what other type but thank goodness it was patio time and I had a lot of catching-up to do and it was nonstop talking. If in any hard rock place I do expect the music to match the memorabilia.
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

The only times I went to HRC-Honolulu was 2001-2002 when SPLIT Clothing used to host their SPLIT 101 parties there Wednesday nights. It was the 'in' thing to do back then...the lines used to literally wrap around the building. Those were some fun times.

The only time I recall eating anything from a HRC was in Atlanta, I think. I have to agree -- it is generic American food.

Still, when it comes to the HRC, no one really cares about quality. Tourists flocked to the current one because some of them like sticking to what's familiar. When I was in Times Square last June, I couldn't understand why the line to Red Lobster was out the door. It's because people just like to eat what they're used to.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              When I was in Times Square last June, I couldn't understand why the line to Red Lobster was out the door. It's because people just like to eat what they're used to.
              Interesting point. My impression of the place is that it's mostly flocked by mainland tourists. It never struck me as a place where locals hang.. maybe just a few here and there.

I still scratch my head when I see Japanese tourists eating at Japanese restaurants here. Why? That's just boring. If I'm in Rome, I do as the Romans do, not as the Japanese do.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

i never bothered going into the HNL HRC. HRC seems like one of those chains where each restaurant draws customers with its individual personality. And being from here, I didn't want to experience a local "personality" while having to eat grodee food.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Business should vastly improve I think with its move to a more central Waikiki location. The prices are outrageous for food that isnt that good to begin with!

Aj

Comment

I've only gone to HRC twice. The food was adequate, nothing outstanding, nothing really terrible.

OTOH, I went there pretty regularly in its former incarnation as COCO'S, part of the Spencecliff chain. Dependable place for a late-night snack after a date.

Comment

I don't know why, but the Hard Rock just never interested me enough to ever want to go in one. I've been in one maybe twice in my life, with some friends who were going there. It reminds me of TGI Fridays with lame rock memorabilia on the wall.
                      There's nothing remotely "rocking" about these places.

I think I ate at one one time in LA.
                      Rock and Roll was never about $15 hamburgers. Hard Rock Cafe is definitely not rock n roll.

Now, House of Blues is a little different story. First rate show sound and lighting. The food is overpriced, of course, but it's cajun slant at least has some personality.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                        Rock and Roll was never about $15 hamburgers.
                        I've been in the one in Maui a couple of times. I went to the one in Yokohama once to get some souvenirs. I don't remember setting foot in the one in Honolulu.

Yeah, the food is too expensive for my tastes. The times I've gone there was because others in the group wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                          Other than the "eye candy"(rock memorabilia ) of Hard Rock Cafe. What does Waikiki's Hard Rock have to offer? Many moons ago(10 yrs back),when I use to drink I'd go with friends to sit at bar and drink beer and watch surf videos from the many screens around the bar.

Today's newspaper had an article about their move further into Waikiki. I want to quote them:

"We are looking to rock Waikiki with great live music and our world-class dining experience."

Hands down, HRC's food is close to the worst served in all of Waikiki! These guys can screw up a salad!!!! So when I saw the quote up above I felt compelled to respond!

Can anybody name a good plate from their menu?

Well I don't know about nowdays but when they first opened up at the Coco's location, they were known for their Watermelon Babyback ribs, and it was pretty good...then.

I think the move inwards is a good idea. When it first opened, nearby residents complained about the use of outdoor speakers in the lanai areas blaring all night long.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'll be glad to see Hard Rock move. The current location always struck me as a little out-of-the-way for a place that seems to thrive on tourist dollars. I won't miss that one lane of Kalakaua getting clogged up as people wait in line to make a left turn into the parking lot on weekend nights either!

Comment

Working...
                            X