Aiea vs Campbell football incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiea vs Campbell football incident

I just heard this on the news (sorry don't follow up on HS football since I don't have cable), but the incident does makes me think of similar incident of brawling, particularly one element that usually follows...

Why the need for almost all the players to come out of the sideline or dugout to get involved in the brawling, knowing it is against the rules of the game? If you don't go out, would you marked as "coward" by fellow players, even though your coach is glad you didn't break the rules?

I'm just trying to understand the mindset of such athlete.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: Aiea vs Campbell football incident

Players get caught up in the heat of emotion, that's why. Tempers flare and kids sometimes lose their cool. Not to excuse what they did, but that kind of stuff has happened in high school football before, it happened last week, and guess what? It will happen again in the future. Football is a sport that calls for aggression and sometimes, that aggression goes out of control. The important thing is that those kids learn and don't make the same mistake again. But later on, another generation of kids come along and have to learn the same lesson. And so it goes,...
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Both teams given the red flag from OIA, forfeit of games...Ouch
      Was watching the Aiea Coach rip his boys one new okole.....

Gotta set`um straight Coach.
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Wow, da my alumni too! (Aiea) Geez, the Na 'alii never have been able to keep there cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Dog View Post
          Wow, da my alumni too! (Aiea) Geez, the Na 'alii never have been able to keep there cool!
          When I went to Aiea we always kept our cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Players get caught up in the heat of emotion, that's why. Tempers flare and kids sometimes lose their cool. Not to excuse what they did, but that kind of stuff has happened in high school football before, it happened last week, and guess what? It will happen again in the future. Football is a sport that calls for aggression and sometimes, that aggression goes out of control. The important thing is that those kids learn and don't make the same mistake again. But later on, another generation of kids come along and have to learn the same lesson. And so it goes,...
            Still yet, they should have back up when they realize they're out of control. And the fellow players should keep their teammates from getting out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              Still yet, they should have back up when they realize they're out of control. And the fellow players should keep their teammates from getting out of hand.
              Yeah, and all high school kids should also go to bed by 9 pm every school night, get straight "A"s on their report card, perfectly abide by the speed limit when they drive, never touch a cigarette in their life, stay virgins until the time they get married, and never once utter a swear/curse word. Like you and your friends when you were growing up, right? RIIIIGHT!!!

But this is the real world, where most kids make mistakes. That's how they grow-up and learn. Expecting every kid to be a perfect,goody two-shoe with an adult sense of maturity is never going to happen in our lifetime.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 28, 2007, 01:39 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Dog View Post
                Another of the Aiea Aliis, from the olden days before "Na Ali'i" here.

I recall the school as being full of NOT the guys you want to, uh, anger. This is when there was the REAL Halawa Housing. Most of the people from Halawa were really nice, really friendly, until you p*ssed them off. Then, it was all over for you.

The football team was populated with many, many Halawa boys. They were ferocious!

But we pretty much kept our cool. I don't remember any major brouhahas during football games. Our busses got rocked when we went to Nanakuli, but not much in the way of on-field beefs.

After I grad, they bulldozed Halawa and built Aloha Stadium.
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

But this is the real world, where most kids make mistakes.
                  Yeah, but have they learned not to repeat it? Will other football teams learned from this incident's mistake? And will it stick with them?

Comment

Yeah, but have they learned not to repeat it?
                    Have the Aiea and Campbell teams learned from their lesson? I guess the only way to find out would be if they do the same thing again or not. Seeing as how both teams are paying a severe penalty by forfeiting 2 games, I think it's safe to say that neither team will do an encore.

Will other football teams learned from this incident's mistake? And will it stick with them?
                    Yes, Random. If everyone had your common sense, the world would be a far, far different place,....

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                      Another of the Aiea Aliis, from the olden days before "Na Ali'i" here.

I recall the school as being full of NOT the guys you want to, uh, anger. This is when there was the REAL Halawa Housing. Most of the people from Halawa were really nice, really friendly, until you p*ssed them off. Then, it was all over for you.
                      I'm another Aiea Alii, before they changed it to "Na Ali'i." And I also grew up in the REAL Halawa Housing, which at that time was the roughest, toughest neighborhood on the island. It was an interesting neighborhood, to say the least. But I survived. And I am an extremely mellow and mild-mannered person.

Our football team, by the way (I'm even older than you are, ZZ), was very good. It almost won the OIA title after a storybook season (Sammy Stevens and Clarence Kamalii). I don't ever remember anything resembling an onfield fight, though a lot of players were from Halawa Housing, including some who scared the s*** out of me, and ended up in prison.

Comment

Hui, Honoruru, when you wen' grad? I stay '71.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                          Hui, Honoruru, when you wen' grad? I stay '71.
                          I grad '65. I know ... I ancient.

Comment

Yes, Random. If everyone had your common sense, the world would be a far, far different place,....
                            Better my common sense than my violent temper.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                              I grad '65. I know ... I ancient.
                              You not ancient, you MAKULE!

Na Ali'i went grad '76, I think, with my brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X