Family Health Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Health Watch

A news report published today claims obesity rates in the U.S. continue to increase.

Well, duh. Super-sized fast food joints and bulk grocery warehouses aren't helping us much. Only tempting us to eat more. Not to mention kids that rather be on a PlayStation than a playground. And not be a hypocrite, me sitting here typing this instead of being out for a jog or a swim. lol

On the dietary aspect of this, I shop regularly at Ward Marukai, where, if you look at the Nihongin (people from Japan) customers, most of them are very trim. And if you look in their shopping cart, it often includes mostly fish and vegetables. Rarely processed foods (like TV dinner stuff), beef, pork or chicken. But asians in general have that slim gene. So I think.

I used to body build as a teenager and in my early 20's, and was also active in sports throughout most of my youth, which probably contributes why my metabolism is still pretty good while I'm in my late 30's.

Both me and my girlfriend have made it a point to change our eating habits towards more fruits and vegetables, and avoid the processed and bad stuff. She also started a daily walk routine around our area.

Sure, I have a blog that features lots of "local" (aka fatty) food, and I'd never take that completely out of my diet, as I think you have to please your soul, as much as your heart.

My friend's father passed away in his 70's after living an organic lifestyle.. The measures he went to eat healthy, I'm thinking he should have lived to see 100.

My mom has the worst diet and health habits one can imagine, yet at her age, she has a clean bill of health, normal blood pressure, and she can still climb a mango tree (really!), while many friends her same age are much less capable.

But you never know. Genes. Past lifestyle habits.They can all play a part.

Food (healthy, hopefully) for thought.
    Last edited by Pomai; August 27, 2007, 11:10 AM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Family Health Watch

I agree with your supersize,Costco and playstation reasoning. The world is so consumer driven now, it seems like everywhere you turn, there is another red bull type drink, playstation, and fast food temptation. More varieties of cookies,crackers and chips available than ever.

And yea, being on the computer all day doesn't help.

As I've gotten older, I enjoy more outdoors stuff than when I was in my 20's. The I rarely went to the beach and NEVER rode a bike. Now those are 2 things I do as much as I can. I wish I learned to surf at a young age too, tho', having just returned from Waikiki, and seeing the people longboarding there, I vowed to try it the next time I was there.

I could have a friend here in Cali teach me to surf, but the waves in Waikiki are perfect for an old fart beginner like me....the waves in Cali...not so much.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Tikiyaki, may I ask why the waves in Hawaii are better for an old fart than the onces in CA? I would think it's the other way around cuz here they are bigger most of the time, and therefore not for a beginner. What am I missing here? thanks~
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
        Tikiyaki, may I ask why the waves in Hawaii are better for an old fart than the onces in CA? I would think it's the other way around cuz here they are bigger most of the time, and therefore not for a beginner. What am I missing here? thanks~
        Maybe that's the difference between surfing North Shore or "South Shore".

A friend, a long-time surfer, just completed a safari from Santa Cruz to San Diego. Five months ago he was in Waikiki. Out here he surfed eight straight days at least three hours a day. When we surfed Queens he was practically crying at the thought of having to go back to cold-water surfing.

http://calsurftrip.blogspot.com/

Up north (around Eureka) he wears a full quarter-inch wetsuit, hood, gloves, & booties. He has to climb in over rocks & shingle. He's thrilled if he gets a wave an hour.

On his safari he was dealing with (in no particular order) wetsuits, scant parking, lack of public beach access, long walks over rocks & shingle, crowds, localism, short-vs-longboard, and leg-tangling kelp. The waves weren't that good in many places and where they were good they were very very crowded. He caught a lot of waves and he had a good time, but he worked hard for it.

Years ago California used to limit the number of surfers who could enter the water at a break, and you used to have to buy a license sticker for your board. I have no idea if this is the case any longer but it's a chilling thought.

Meanwhile Queens & White Plains are regularly 2-4 with occasional 4-6 and, a few times a year, eight or above. Queens may be a lot more crowded but not so territorial (not too many regulars compared to other spots) and White Plains can absorb a couple hundred surfers without crowding (I've counted). Perfect geezer longboard conditions, always something different to work on and plenty of room to do it. Compare that to Haleiwa Ali`i.

When I go to the North Shore it's mostly to watch, and I can do that on OC-16. Even Mokuleiea & Waialua spots are a longer drive, less accessible, and more gnarly paddles out. At 5'10" and 195 pounds I doubt I'll be short-boarding Pipeline anytime soon (but maybe someday...) and I don't have enough left of my knees to handle places like Waimea or anything with the word "outside" in its name. Maybe Makaha someday if an old shipmate introduces me around. But White Plains was surfable for most of last winter and gave us diehards an early Mother's Day present.

I know another surfer, in LA of all places, who's dealing with surfer's ear (exostosis). Not much fun surfing with earplugs but that's what he's doing there for the rest of his life.

Don't even get me started on the Great Lakes Surfing Association...
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
          I think Nords covered it but....

a) I've never surfed. The waves in Waikiki are gentle. I'm afraid to even LOOK at the water on the North Shore in winter time. Frightening!
          LA's beaches have fairly rough surfing conditions, for an old fart who's never surfed, anyway.

b) Water temperature - The water in LA is C O L D ! The water in Waikiki is just right.

c) Lots of lifeguards and surfing instructors there
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
            I agree with your supersize,Costco and playstation reasoning. The world is so consumer driven now, it seems like everywhere you turn, there is another red bull type drink, playstation, and fast food temptation...As I've gotten older, I enjoy more outdoors stuff than when I was in my 20's....I wish I learned to surf at a young age too, tho', having just returned from Waikiki, and seeing the people longboarding there, I vowed to try it the next time I was there.
            Ditto on all of above. And those of you under 35 don't let the big "metabolism slow down," sneak up on you. Or one day your slim and fit and the next well, anyway yeah I need to get out more! Plus another factor with aging well is our stress levels. Ongoing stress (frustration, anger, anxiety, all that fun stuff) is really hard on the heart and the immune system. But getting outdoors more and exercising helps with that too.

What are your favorite health enhancing things to do?

Cindy
            Hawaii Eco Travel Budget Guides
            www.CoconutRoads.com
            "Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"

Comment

Working...
            X