Book drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book drive

So the youth service non-prof that I work for is starting an initiative to increase literacy and improve academic competency by having group reading sessions in after school settings. I'll be needing at least 5 copies of the same book to get this thing going.

PM me for a mailing address if you're interested. I'll get you a thank you letter to write it off.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Book drive

Hey people,

As of midnight, PDT, we've had one donor. Keep those PMs ringing, and those books coming in! Think of "Mike_Lowery's Kids."

flickr

Comment

Wow. Missed this the first time around.

Have you considered an Amazon.com wish list? You can choose the books you want, we can buy 'em and ship 'em with a click. If not, do you even have a suggested genre? Target age group?

Could you be thinking used books? I don't think most folks have five copies of a book lying around, so I doubt that, but...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Wow. Missed this the first time around.

Have you considered an Amazon.com wish list? You can choose the books you want, we can buy 'em and ship 'em with a click. If not, do you even have a suggested genre? Target age group?

Could you be thinking used books? I don't think most folks have five copies of a book lying around, so I doubt that, but...
        Thanks for the Amazon idea, PZ! Any genre is cool...diversity is key. We're breaking age groups down like: kids (6-9), preteen (10-12), and teens (13-17). Used books are cool too.

Some books I'll name for a wish list off the top of my head:

Maniac Magee
        Hatchet
        Frog and Toad Together
        Where the Wild Things Are

flickr

Comment

Mike,

This sounds like a young group, maybe K-2nd grade?

Why not do the wish list thing here, list your books on them and then post the link here. It will be hard to find one guy to send 5 or 10 books, but easy to find 10 guys to send 1 book! And you can update your list as you get enough donations of a particular book.

I'll dong you, brah. Just post the list. Too bad I already donated all my kid's smallkine books to the school. I had the whole Frog and Toad series! I've read them a million times!

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Mikey! I have a WHOLE PILE of SOFTWARE BOOKS and interactive adventures for kids of that age! It's ALL YOURS, man! Email me... you know the address...
            Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Ok, so I sorta compiled a wishlist... There could be more stuff added on later, as I'll be asking kids what they want to read.

Amazon wishlist

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                I don't think most folks have five copies of a book lying around
                Exactly. I've donated literally hundreds of books to libraries over the years, but they were all single copies. Wish I could help Mike out, but I'm just not sure how.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                  Ok, so I sorta compiled a wishlist... There could be more stuff added on later, as I'll be asking kids what they want to read. Amazon wishlist
                  That's great, Mike. I see the "Wishlist" system actually lets you specify the wish for more than one copy, so we all can see which individual titles are short however many. People can just buy one, if they're strapped for cash, knowing it'd be easy for others to track the progress and jump in on a specific book or two.

I'm down right now for a "Where The Wild Things Are." Hopefully more after payday!

I personally benefited from the Boys & Girls Club as a youth ('twas where the cops dropped us off after picking us up making trouble elsewhere!). Happy to give a little back... especially in the name of reading.

Comment

The wish list is a big help, Mike. Thanks for setting it up.

Comment

Mike:

We'll be mailing out (5) copies of Richard BACH'S "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" (one of my favorites till this day), on Tuesday 9/4. I received your PM with the address.
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                        Mike:

We'll be mailing out (5) copies of Richard BACH'S "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" (one of my favorites till this day), on Tuesday 9/4. I received your PM with the address.
                        May your divine being(s) bless your souls!

Thanks a lot!

flickr

Comment

zz, you're an angel!

flickr

Comment

Dang it, the USPS is turning away Amazon boxes from our mailbox. I don't know why.

Thanks to all of you who tried and got refunds from Amazon, and many thanks to those whose packages got through!

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                              Dang it, the USPS is turning away Amazon boxes from our mailbox. I don't know why.

Thanks to all of you who tried and got refunds from Amazon, and many thanks to those whose packages got through!
                              What do you mean? They are not delivering the boxes to you and are sending them back to Amazon?
                              I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X