Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian musician living in WA State passes away

Full obituary here. Excerpts:
    Samuel Ku`uleialoha Naki went to the arms of Jesus and family at noon August 18, 2007.

Well-known as a gently powerful Hawaiian man, the husband of Penelope (Penny) Naki and one third of the family Hawaiian music trio "Naki`i," Sam was one of 17 children of Minnie Kaipo Mahuka Naki. His father was Paul Kauka Naki.

Born December 15, 1939, in Pauoa (Honolulu), he was raised on the family's Hawaiian Homestead property at Nanakuli, learning his distinctive style of singing and ukulele picking "under the mango tree."

In 1973, he married Rose Cazimero, daughter of one of Hawaii's most respected musical families, and became the dedicated stepfather of her two sons.

Her sudden death in 1990 devastated Sam. A series of miraculous events put Sam in Port Angeles and joyously re-united him with his sister, Erma Naki Kuenzli, and made him the heartbeat of "Naki`i Hawaiian Music" along with Erma and her husband, Mike Kuenzli.

In 2001, he met Penny at church and it didn't take long to realize they were meant for each other, though it did raise a few eyebrows.

They were married March 28, 2002, in a traditional Hawaiian ceremony in front of hundreds, and thrived on their differences and similarities. Faith, family and music were the glues that held them together.

Two years ago, Sam survived a bout of lung cancer with a grace that amazed everyone. In early August, he experienced problems that lead to the discovery of an incurable abdominal cancer.

The best efforts of Drs. Cain and Fischer and the incredibly caring staff of Olympic Medical Center were unable to save his body, but he was mercifully spared this knowledge. Surrounded by family singing "Hawai'i Aloha," his mortal life ended.

On September 30, 2007, his ashes will be carried by canoe into the sea at Kalaniana`ole (Nanakuli) Beach in Nanakuli, O`ahu, Hawai`i to be mingled with those of his late brothers and sisters.
    Sam was a wonderful, talented and giving man, whom I was honored to know. He will be missed by many, particularly in the local music community.
Working...
X