Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ahhhh China - A Proud Nation With A Long History!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh China - A Proud Nation With A Long History!

Gotta love the Chinese. No wonder my ancestor bailed out of that country bound for Hawaii. Their one party system actually makes Hawaii's one party system look tame.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070829/...orced_abortion

By ALEXA OLESEN, Associated Press Writer Wed Aug 29, 12:35 PM ET

QIAN'AN, China - Yang Zhongchen, a small-town businessman, wined and dined three government officials for permission to become a father.

But the Peking duck and liquor weren't enough. One night, a couple of weeks before her date for giving birth, Yang's wife was dragged from her bed in a north China town and taken to a clinic, where, she says, her baby was killed by injection while still inside her.

"Several people held me down, they ripped my clothes aside and the doctor pushed a large syringe into my stomach," says Jin Yani, a shy, petite woman with a long ponytail. "It was very painful. ... It was all very rough."

Seven years after the dead baby was pulled from her body with forceps, Jin remains traumatized and, the couple and a doctor say, unable to bear children. Yang and Jin have made the rounds of government offices pleading for restitution — to no avail.

Re: Ahhhh China - A Proud Nation With A Long History!

check out the documentary the dying rooms. it makes that article look tame.

Gotta love the Chinese.
    gotta love the Chinese people, mostly decent hard working people. its their gov thats hmmmm. lots of stuff going on in china. and you gotta love that they were chosen to host the olympics. makes you go hmmmmmmm

Comment

Just wait til the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints gets a foothold there.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
        Just wait til the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints gets a foothold there.
        Hmmm. Yes, that could be interesting. While they believe in families, they also believe in obeying the law of the land. They'd have to gain enough of a foothold to gain political clout before they could do much about it.

I think the Catholics would be more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
          check out the documentary the dying rooms. it makes that article look tame.

gotta love the Chinese people, mostly decent hard working people. its their gov thats hmmmm. lots of stuff going on in china. and you gotta love that they were chosen to host the olympics. makes you go hmmmmmmm
          I think it's better to include them in world events such as the olympics. If you compare the country now to what it was 30 years ago, they've made tremendous leaps and bounds of progress. Although there is plenty of things still wrong there, you can actually find grass root movements there now such as pet's rights or environmental awareness. I rather prefer this evolution than a revolution because that would be an even uglier mess.

Comment

It's wrong. Period.

Making jokes about various dimensions (yeah, I know it's denominations) of Christianity ain't cool. Lame people. All around.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

China is a lawless, f*cked up place. My fiancee' is from Taiwan, and tells me horror stories about China all the time. It's blossoming economy will only benefit the government, because they take all the money. The people are really insignificant to the government.

Directly the opposite of the Japanese, they have little or no honor among people either. It's like dog eat dog over there.

That is a particularly sad story. :-(
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                China is a lawless, f*cked up place. My fiancee' is from Taiwan, and tells me horror stories about China all the time. It's blossoming economy will only benefit the government, because they take all the money. The people are really insignificant to the government.

Directly the opposite of the Japanese, they have little or no honor among people either. It's like dog eat dog over there.

That is a particularly sad story. :-(
                So a few horror stories and you've got the entire picture?

The blossoming economy will obviously benefit the government but it has also benefited the people. And as the people benefit, they learn to demand more accountability from their gov't. Go visit China and NK and compare the two. For all the flaws China still has, and there are some pretty big flaws, they've advanced by leaps and bounds compared to 30 years ago.

The Japanese have honor? Boy did you open a can of worms. While they may be polite and honorable amongst themselves, I wouldn't call it honor when they have denial issues with their WW2 past. They can't even acknowledge and make a formal apology to the numerous comfort women yet they try to set up a private fund to pay them off. Oh, that's real honorable......

Comment

Cross-cultural comparisons are always dangerous. We debate whether to allow abortions, but would that be true if, like in China, we saw starvation as a direct result of overpopulation?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina View Post
                    Cross-cultural comparisons are always dangerous. We debate whether to allow abortions, but would that be true if, like in China, we saw starvation as a direct result of overpopulation?
                    That's true, broad generalizations are always dangerous. While the original post was of a tragic incident, one that I believe the authorities involved should be hung, here's another incident that shows progress is happening. While the issue is manini, I'm pretty sure 30 years ago, you couldn't even protest over the issue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070831/od_nm/china_hug1_dc

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                      (
                      Japanese honor Dont fall for that. Maybe no more honorable than other races. but I never heard of something like the Rape of Nanking. Its ranking pretty high on my worst atrocities ever list. Sickest sh*t imo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

and look on the net for pictures of it. Poor little babies.

Comment

My fiancee' has spent ALOT of time over there doing business, and while the generalizations may be broad, it is more than just a "few incidents".

Maybe the comparisons to Japan were offsides, I admit that, I just know the many stories she tells me about China. Being born and raised in Taiwan, with a Chinese father, I take her word for it.

Look at the recent food and toy poisonings as a tip of the iceberg. There is alot more where that came from. Very little health codes in the food industry and regulations in business.

I'm just telling you what I've been told from someone who knows better than me.

Also, The Rape of nanking and WWII were a LONG time ago...historic events that the world has learned from.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                          I never heard of something like the Rape of Nanking.
                          I'd suggest you investigate the atrocities of the Chinese when it comes to Tibetan nuns and monks. Or look into the Khmer Rouge regime of Cambodia. Or events in Rwanda from a couple of years ago.

There is no ethnic monopoly on horrendous human-on-human violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            I'd suggest you investigate the atrocities of the Chinese when it comes to Tibetan nuns and monks. Or look into the Khmer Rouge regime of Cambodia. Or events in Rwanda from a couple of years ago.

There is no ethnic monopoly on horrendous human-on-human violence.
                            No there isn't, all we have to do simply look at our own country's history. This is why Tiki's broad sweep at how honorable the Japanese are is...broad.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

I'd suggest you investigate the atrocities of the Chinese when it comes to Tibetan nuns and monks. Or look into the Khmer Rouge regime of Cambodia. Or events in Rwanda from a couple of years ago..

PoiBoy said in post #11 "Its ranking pretty high on my worst atrocities ever list."
                              Last edited by PoiBoy; September 3, 2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X