Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luciano Pavarotti 1935-2007

Tenor Luciano Pavarotti dead at 71

Famed opera tenor Luciano Pavarotti, who appeared on stage with singers as varied as opera star Dame Joan Sutherland, U2's Bono and Liza Minnelli, died Thursday after suffering from pancreatic cancer, his manager Terri Robson said in a statement. He was 71.

"The great tenor, Luciano Pavarotti, died today at 5:00 a.m. at his home in Modena, the city of his birth," according to Robson.
    I grew up listening to his music and the incredible power of his octave range, as my mother had many of his records, as well as both of the "3 Tenors" concert DVDs where he joined Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras. His voice always inspired me to really appreciate Opera.

He will truly be missed by a legion of fans around the world, including in one humble way, myself.

R.I.P. Pavarotti.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Luciano Pavarotti 1935-2007

Nessun Dorma has always been one of my favorites. I don't care if it'll come on while I'm in traffic, in an elevator, on TV -- I get chills everytime I hear it.

Opera fan or not, I think he appealed to many because his talent went unparalleled and there was no one out there who could match the greatness known as Pavarotti.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

He will be truly missed. I woke up to this news this morning and it brought a tear to my eye. I've always wanted to go see him perform live and I never got my wish.

I agree, Nessun Dorma can produce chicken skin anytime. Especially when Pavarotti sang it. Aloha oe....
      ~Aloha! Christina~
      Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Comment

R.I.P.

He will be missed
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Considering the successes of recent pop-operatic singers (my definition: pop vocalists who have the ability to sing some operatic repertoire decently, but who lack the full training of an operatic voice), Pavarotti may well turn out to be the last of his breed - real opera singers with a large "pop"-size fan base.

Like so many celebrities, I hear stories of his "bad" side - but that's not relevant now. He brought opera to the ears of many listeners who would otherwise have no interest in it.

Comment

He is probably singing a Donizetti opera with Beverly Sills (who died in July) up in Heaven, with a choir of angels in the background...

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Or he may be performing with James Brown

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VCIyzNISw1Q

Comment

RIP

his contributions to the revival of opera will still be remembered tenor eleven years from now.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                  his contributions to the revival of opera will still be remembered tenor eleven years from now.
                  Best typo of the year, ML.

Comment

My condolences to the family and friends of the great Pavarotti.

---

I feel a sudden disturbance in the Force. It's as if millions of people are all trying to call John Rhys Davies' agent at the same moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Best typo of the year, ML.
                      lol...wasn't a typo
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Many, many years ago - I was a high-school age usher at the SF Opera -- I'll always remember going backstage one night when Luciano Pavarotti was just becoming a "big star" -- he was there with I'm assuming his mother -- a short Italian woman that could have been straight out of central casting -- he was very gracious and I remember the thrill of giving him my pen and having him sign my program -- he was very nice but spoke very broken English -- I probably still have that pen (he stuck the cap in his mouth when he signed it and I just about swooned to get that back!! !) somewhere along with the program!

He, Beverly Sills and Joan Sutherland -- they were the operatic giants of their time -- all wonderful people!

I'll miss seeing his face altho' I know his voice will live forever!

Malama Pono,
                        Janet

Comment

Originally posted by koloagirl View Post
                          Aloha from Kaua'i!

Many, many years ago - I was a high-school age usher at the SF Opera -- I'll always remember going backstage one night when Luciano Pavarotti was just becoming a "big star" -- he was there with I'm assuming his mother -- a short Italian woman that could have been straight out of central casting -- he was very gracious and I remember the thrill of giving him my pen and having him sign my program -- he was very nice but spoke very broken English -- I probably still have that pen (he stuck the cap in his mouth when he signed it and I just about swooned to get that back!! !) somewhere along with the program!

He, Beverly Sills and Joan Sutherland -- they were the operatic giants of their time -- all wonderful people!

I'll miss seeing his face altho' I know his voice will live forever!

Malama Pono,
                          Janet
                          One word: eBay. J/K.

My sister still has a drumstick from a Jackson 5 concert she attended at the Blaisdell arena way back then.

Gosh, I have to admit, watching Pavarotti on YouTube makes sheds me some tears. I still can't believe he's passed.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                          X