Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Gift Suggestions

Aloha All!

My fadda turning 85 next month and I am at a loss for what to get him. He lives on Oahu and I live in Utah so it has to be something I can mail him. Any suggestions? Be creative!
    Mahalo!
    ~Kalei~
    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Re: Birthday Gift Suggestions

Kinda hard to suggest something not knowing his interests, health, living situation, etc.

Comment

koa pic frame with all the kids/grandkids.. collage like

Comment

Photo album of da 'ohana?

Plane ticket so he can come see you?

Books?

DVD?

CD?
        Aloha,
        Mokihana

Comment

There's those digital frames you put pictures in. You or Blaine may have to preprogram it so all he has to do is press the button and all the pictures start to run. You could put like old pictures, from when you guys was small time la dat......

Does he go to the movies.... Movie passes?

Does he do a lot of Gardening stuff...maybe a gift card to Lowes or Home Depot or Sears or WalMart something like that.

What kind of music does he like.....burn a mix of the different music he likes.

Expensive....but you can surprise him and just show up!
          ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Is your father into arts/crafts? Perhaps an arts/crafts class where he could get creative and meet other people? My husband and I gave my mother-in-law a series of quilting classes as a gift for her 74th birthday last year. She had never tried it, but loved the classes, met some great new friends, and she now gives her quilted items as gifts. So, if your dad has a special interest he hasn't pursued, a gift certificate might be great.

Comment

My Mom and In-Laws are in their 80s. It's really hard... they don't want anything, and don't need anything. I live on another island.

They do love it when I send them goodies to eat. I usually buy stuff locally, but Wholesale Unlimited has a website: http://www.cybersnacks.net/

Food again... I know they would enjoy gift certificates to their favorite restaurants.

They love massages... I thought of getting them gift certificates for a few massage sessions, but since they're elderly, they are a bit picky about who services them. I'd have to do research on that.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                [...]Food again... I know they would enjoy gift certificates to their favorite restaurants.[...]
                If someone is not terribly ambulatory then a once a month delivery of a meal via Room Service in Paradise might be nice. Dunno if RSIP accepts credit cards over the phone, tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                  Aloha All!

My fadda turning 85 next month and I am at a loss for what to get him. He lives on Oahu and I live in Utah so it has to be something I can mail him. Any suggestions? Be creative!
                  Mahalo!
                  ~Kalei~
                  You know with half of my kids out of the nest, one thing that would really be appreciative is to spend a day with him.

If you say it's too expensive to fly down to Hawaii to be with him, remember as a parent he spent a fortune raising you and probably went into debt doing so. So a visit once a year (every year) is a small financial sacrifice on your part to show your appreciation of him.

Is an airline ticket or a personal leave too much to spend to be with him? A materialistic birthday gift is one thing, but a trip to see him will leave a lasting memory that he will embrace.

My oldest boy has gone to start his own life, but it's nice when he visits. Having the family together again feels so good especially when I see him happy to be back for a weekend visit.

If you want to give him a framed photo, take that photo with him, and frame it in front of him. That way when you leave he'll remember that day when you did come to visit...everyday he looks at that picture.

He was there for you...you should be there...for him.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

My parents are in their early 80s and they love receiving restaurant gift cards.

A surprise visit is always fun for all as well.

Or a gift of a maid service for a day....or a yardman for a day.

Movie tickets.

A paid subscription to Netflix.

Paid subscription to a magazine.

Lifeline Emergency Alert System if he lives alone.

Installation of grab bars in his bath.

Tickets to the Honolulu Symphony.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all for the great suggestions! My biggest wish is to go see him but I just bought a business and have planned to go home for Thanksgiving.

I've taken him on 4 cruises already (including one this past May) and have promised to taken him on a China crusie in 2009. Thanksgiving will be my 3rd trip home this year.

My dad is a "free spirit" and loves to golf and pig hunt every week -- even at age 84. I've done the "golf" gifts and the "hunting" gifts before. Geez, da bugga has had so many birthdays, I was running out of gift ideas!

I've settled on a photo blanket. He loves to snuggle up in his recliner at night and watch his big screen TV (a gift from me & Blaine). I figured with the winter months coming up, he could get warm under a blanket filled with family photos and watch TV with his family "surrounding" him.

I think I'll also send him that electronic photo frame that a few of you have suggested. He would LOVE that!

Mahalo nui loa once again for EVERYONE's suggestions!

~Kalei~

Comment

Macy's just had their one day sale last week selling those electronic frames. This one could even play short movie clips (like the kind from your digital cameras shooting video mode).

I can't remember where I saw this but it's an electronic picture frame that is wifi enabled (must have broadband service) where it wirelessly connects to your always on wireless network. It has a dedicated IP address so you could be staring at the frame when it suddenly changes to a new photo delivered from a sender. Kinda neat as the photos change as often as you can send them out.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'd like that for myself!

Comment

Working...
                          X