Tita Lika's Daughter is Dr. O!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tita Lika's Daughter is Dr. O!

Amazing who we have on HT. Just this morning, we found out "acousticlady's" job is one that makes her travel a lot! Then we have our children and grandchildren of HT.

Today, it gives me great pleasure to share with you all the following article of Tita Lika and her husband's daughter, Dr. O.

An excerpt:

Doctorate recipient beat the odds

"NORMAN, Okla. - E. Star L. Oosahwe graduated with a bachelor's degree in communication from Arizona State University in 1997. She then graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a master's degree in education in 2001 and earned her doctoral degree in May from OU in adult and higher education.

Oosahwe beat the odds when she earned her doctorate. According to a study by P. Martinez, American Indians have the highest high school dropout rate. Also, the National Indian Gaming Commission reported only 13.3 percent of Natives have an undergraduate college degree, compared with the national average of 24 percent.

Oosahwe grew up on the Navajo reservation in Arizona. She was continually inspired by her grandmother, Rosa Cintron. Her family, friends and, later, her fiance, Easton Yellowfish, gave her love and encouragement to overcome the tremendous odds stacked against her.

Oosahwe's family expected her to attend college, but even she wasn't sure of her goals at first.

''It wasn't until my junior and senior year in college that a fire was lit under me,'' she said.

For rest of story: http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096415679

Congratulations Tita Lika and Husband. Congatulations Dr.O!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Tita Lika's Daughter is Dr. O!

Awesome story! Hopefully youth--especially those from minority and/ or immigrant backgrounds-- will be inspired to similarly strive.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Re: Tita Lika's Daughter is Dr. O!

This is a wonderful thread! Thank you Auntie for sharing this with us, it's encouraging to hear about what's good...you know?

Congratulations to Lika, strut your stuff girl..."wiggle it, jus' a little bit!" And to Dr. O your story is evidence that perseverance brings success.
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
      X