Indoor Grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Grill?

I don't know if you've discussed this before, but does anyone here have an indoor grill... like the George Foreman type? Is it easy to clean? How well does it cook? Which brand do you have? Does it give off a lot of spatters and greasy smoke? I'd hate to use it on my counter and have it spatter everywhere. Thank you!!

Re: Indoor Grill?

See the Kitchen Tools & Gadgets thread. Starting from about post #24 the discussion picks up on the Indoor Grills.

Also go through the customer reviews on sites like Amazon.com. Some funny reading too.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have a Cuinsinart Griddler, which I love because it has interchangeable grill and griddle plates that are dish washable. It lays flat so both the top and bottom become cooking surfaces, but the footprint when closed up is very small. I use it mostly for making paninis, which is easy to do because of the floating hinges, which means you can make really fat sandwiches and squish them down to size. I also cooked whole breakfasts for 2 on them (eggs, bacon and pancakes).

I used to have a George Foreman grill, but I traded it in for the Cuisinart because the older George Foreman grills didn't have removable plates so cleaning was tough. I think the newer ones (the higher end ones) have removable grill plates, which makes cleaning so much easier. All of those indoor grills have channels in them to move grease away from your food, so for low fat cooking, these are great (even though they are non-stick, I usually still spray some oil on the plates lightly to make cleanup easier).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm a George Foreman grill fan and use them all the time. I don't find them difficult to clean but I have the kitchen faucet that pulls out and sprays so that makes a difference.

Comment

Yeah, the GF grill works pretty good. Cleaning the older models was a pain in the butt and there are a lot of places, in the workings, where grease and water can collect. The new ones with the removable grills is a great improvement.

If you grill a lot of steaks and chops, it's a great addition to the kitchen counter. If not, it's just a waste of money and space and you may as well stick to pan searing. My POV.

Comment

Thanks everyone, for your replies. How about the countertop? Does it spatter and smoke and make a mess on the kitchen counter?

Comment

We've had two indoor grills -- both Oster brand. Durable, affordable, easy to clean, no spatters.

Comment

George Foreman Grill owners here...and let me just say, it's AWESOME! Easy to use, efficient, and umm...it's easy to clean too. BTW we have the small size, (2) patties at a time size.
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                  George Foreman Grill owners here...and let me just say, it's AWESOME! Easy to use, efficient, and umm...it's easy to clean too. BTW we have the small size, (2) patties at a time size.
                  Whoah, must be hard eh?.., wit' all da' keedz you get.

"Ma, when we going eat?"

"Eh boy, you just wait. I only got done cooking da' first two hamburgahz".
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                    [...]If you grill a lot of steaks and chops, it's a great addition to the kitchen counter.[...]
                    I grill salmon filets and other, somewhat thick fish steaks, too. Oh, and thick veggie slices!
                    Originally posted by nikki View Post
                    [...]Does it spatter and smoke and make a mess on the kitchen counter?
                    Small kine splatters, yes...but not a big mess! And, no smoke...or very little. Since there's an open sided top to the grill the edges of the food tend to splatter a bit. The grill comes with a drip tray that sits under the bottom part of the grill and catches the run off.
                    Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    [...]"Eh boy, you just wait. I only got done cooking da' first two hamburgahz".
                    I found that not to be as much of as issue as I thought it would be. The grill cooks so fast (averages 5 min. for the types of food I cook) that I just pop the finished food in a pre-warmed oven 'til the rest of the food is done. Now, if I had all 3 of my grills in one place I wouldn't have to turn on the oven!
                    Last edited by tutusue; September 8, 2007, 04:20 PM. Reason: misspeling!

Comment

Thank you, Tutusue and everyone else! I'm going to take the plunge and buy one!! I've been thinking about it for a year... I hate to buy stuff and then it just sits in the cabinet, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I've never even seen one of these in use... or even a demo. I have an electric cooktop with 4 burners and a griddle in the middle. (Ho, I'm one poet!)

Anyway, what's the difference between a griddle like that and one of the indoor grills? Do the grills get more hot? And are they kinda like broiling in the oven only you don't heat up the huge 220 oven?

Christmas is coming!
                        Aloha,
                        Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          Whoah, must be hard eh?.., wit' all da' keedz you get.

"Ma, when we going eat?"

"Eh boy, you just wait. I only got done cooking da' first two hamburgahz".
                          We are cracking up over here Pomai! Umm...all I can say is NOBODY grumbles over here, when it's time to eat, it's time.
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                            [...]Anyway, what's the difference between a griddle like that and one of the indoor grills? Do the grills get more hot? And are they kinda like broiling in the oven only you don't heat up the huge 220 oven?[...]
                            Speaking for the George Foreman grill only...it's just that; a grill...not a griddle. Also, it has a hinged top so it grills both sides at the same time cutting the grilling time in half.

Slap a marinated, boneless chicken breast on the grill and add a $1. side salad from McDonalds and I have a 5 min. dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                              I've never even seen one of these in use... or even a demo. I have an electric cooktop with 4 burners and a griddle in the middle. (Ho, I'm one poet!)

Anyway, what's the difference between a griddle like that and one of the indoor grills? Do the grills get more hot? And are they kinda like broiling in the oven only you don't heat up the huge 220 oven?

Christmas is coming!
                              Depending on the brand and model you get, you can have a grill (works as a panini press for sandwiches, too) and/or a griddle. On my Griddler, you can do both because you have 2 sets of plates, one for grilling and one for griddling (and on the Griddler, you have two separate heat controls...one for grilling and one for griddling).

When I cook breakfast, though, sometimes I make one side a grill (so I can get all the grease out of the bacon or sausage and the other side a griddle for pancakes and eggs. Then when I'm done, I just pop the plates off the machine and pop them in the dishwasher. No fuss, no muss and it cooks fast too so you don't heat up your kitchen.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X