Street Vendors' Vendy Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Vendors' Vendy Awards

Today on Unwrapped (Food Network), they featured "street snacks", where in the first segment they covered the Vendy Awards in New York. "An intense cook-off between the best sidewalks chefs in the city." Also known as street vendors who sell everything from Hot Dogs to Indian to German specialties. It appears they commonly serve hand foods that don't require a plate.

Well Hawaii doesn't have too many street vendors serving food - at least not like those in NYC - but we still have plenty of Lunch Wagons! I think downtown has a few, but I don't work in that area, so can't suggest any here.

I know we have a few former New Yorkers here such as Tikiyaki and WindwardOahuRN. Perhaps they can chime in on the street vendor experience they remember when living in the Big Apple.
    Last edited by Pomai; September 10, 2007, 06:53 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Street Vendors' Vendy Awards

Double post. Threads actin' up.
    Last edited by Pomai; September 16, 2007, 04:26 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Street Vendors' Vendy Awards

Thanks Admin for moving this.

There must be laws specific to our city that doesn't allow street vendors to set-up shop on public streets. Especially ones that serve food.

Yeah, you see a few folks selling Kahuku corn and other local produce from the back of their truck on the side of the road here and there, but nobody really has an established (licensed) spot that they return to.

It was already a drawn-out battle between Waikiki businesses and the T-shirt vendors. Imagine if they were food vendors? There's a whole other can of worm that most politicians here likely would rather not deal with.

I'm sure there's laws and regulations involving lunch wagons and where they set-up shop, but I don't know what those details are.

Some good reading on the vendors in New York here.
      Last edited by Pomai; September 16, 2007, 04:54 PM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
      X